275 grain bullets for the .35 Whelen

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

275 grain bullets for the .35 Whelen

Post by allhands »

I found an old Hornady manual that lists loads for a 275 gr. bullet in the .35 whelen, but I am having no luck finding 275's I checked the usual suspects...Cabelas, Midway USA, google search...no luck. ANy ideas? I am hoping for a round nose, but will take what I can get. I suppose the caveat is a jacketed bullet too! Thanks in advance...
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 275 grain bullets for the .35 Whelen

Post by allhands »

Update to my own post.....while perusing (double-checking) Midway usa, I found 275 Woodleigh weldcores.....Nice but expensive. WOndering if anyone has any other info. 86er....weigh in on woodleighs too if you get a chance....
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Woodleighs are okay and the Northforks are good and have a little better profile. If you use Rhinos the 250s penetrate more that Woody 275's at similar velocity. Also consider the Swift 280 gr A Frame
Last edited by 86er on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
siberian505
Levergunner

Post by siberian505 »

Hornady used to make a 275 grain round nose bullet in 35 caliber. It was a good bullet. I shoot the 30 caliber 240 grain Woodleigh especailly designed for the 30/06, in a 30/06. It is accurate as I can hold and seems to punch through everything I've shot with it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It does seem like the .35 caliber gets shorted, compared to the smaller .338 caliber, which has all sorts of long-for-caliber/heavy-for-caliber bullets available. With the right bullets, a .35 on a .375 Weatherby case or some such could be a super-thumper right up there with the .338 Lapua, with I'm thinking as much or better range.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

FWIW Woodleigh make 275gr and 310gr softs and 310gr FMJ in 35 cal. You need to make sure your twist can handle the longer bullets. Most 35 Whelens these days are equipped with 1 in 16" twist barrels and these are unlikely to stabilise bullets over 250gr.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I stumbled on to a few boxes on Barnes 300 gr bullets. They quit making them a few years ago. I haven't seen any since I go these. My barrel is a bit faster twist than the commercial guns. Haven't gotten any loaded up to try yet.

I agree, the 35 is shortchanged in bullet selection today.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?