The Long Shot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

The Long Shot

Post by octagon »

Back in the late 70s my Dad and I were shooting a lot of trap including regular fun shoots at the Goodfellow Rod and Gun Club. One of the events Dad always killed em on was the wolf chase, where a bunch of guys lined up way back of the 27 yard line, and if a fellow shot after you broke the clay target he was out. Dad would let the bird get way way out there before he would shoot and he had this long shot down to a fine art - his friends did not call him Deadeye for nothin.
The old man had been killin em at the local trapshoots with an old BT 99' and decided to try the big zone shoot in Odessa Texas. After a few days of shooting and whipping hundreds of shooters, he found himself in the final shoot off in the handicapped division against a fella shooting an expensive ore choked gun. They both shot two rounds cleanly without miss, and during the break I told Dad he had to break the guys rhythm to win the day, and he should do the wolf chase long shot to shake him up a little. Dad said that was a crazy thing to do in a shoot off but as I was his coach he said he would do it...
About 15 birds into the third round Dad called for the bird. It flew and flew WAY out there and the big crowd clapped a bit when it broke just a bit above the grass. The other fella missed the next two birds and Dad had the day. He had bet a pile on himself to win in the Calcutta, and left with a load of loot and a new Browning BT 99 which he gave me on
the spot.
I never saw a shooter shoot a shot with more testicular fortitude than that one, and thought you fellas might like the story of Deadeye's Long Shot.

My old Dad passed last December age 78. We had a lifetime of hunting, shooting and
beings best bros. No son could have asked for better.
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Re: The Long Shot

Post by SargeMarlin »

Love the story octagon. I imagine there's a pile more, but it would be tough to top that one.

SM
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

SargeMarlin wrote:Love the story octagon. I imagine there's a pile more, but it would be tough to top that one.

SM
+1 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

octagon - Thanks for letting us all in on that experience. Priceless stuff.

I'll share one with you, one of my more memorable times with Dad and shooting. Back in 2001 I'd gone through a cancer surgery and my folks wanted to do something with me on my birthday. Surgery had been at the end of August and my b-day is Dec. 11th. I asked if it would be alright with Mom for the both of them to come up to my shooting range and us go shooting. Mom was definitely not a gun person, but bless her heart, she knew better than to stand in the way of her guy passing this along to his sons.

Dad grew up on a farm with rifles and shotguns but pistols were never part of his shooting experience. We shot .22 rifles for a while and then I broke out a .22 Ruger MkII and a .357 revolver that I'd brought some .38 Special wadcutters along for just this occasion. Dad was 83 by this time and I didn't want to knock him over with the .45 handguns or the .308 or .45-70 rifles I owned.

We had targets set out at 50 feet, and at first Dad was off to the left with the Ruger MKII. But his group was really tight, and he knew that he could master this after all. On just his second magazine with the MKII he shot a really tight 2-3 inch group, and this was his first experience with a handgun ! He shot up that magazine, set the pistol down, and turned around and smiled at me, and I snapped a photograph. I gave him his target to show all the boys at the weekly poker game. Boy did he get a kick out of that. Even Mom smiled at that one.

It's still one of the best times I ever had with him and Mom, and my favorite photograph of him too. Definitely my best birthday as well. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

COOL STORY! :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pitchy wrote:
SargeMarlin wrote:Love the story octagon. I imagine there's a pile more, but it would be tough to top that one.
SM
+1 8)
+2
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Great memories - sounds like some great dad's around, too. . . 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks for posting that account. I enjoyed it.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

A toast to Deadeye! Cheers!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Coupla' great dad stories, Octagon and Dixieboy. Thanks much for sharing. :D
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

octogon said:
My old Dad passed last December age 78. We had a lifetime of hunting, shooting and
beings best bros. No son could have asked for better.

A great story, well told. Thanks.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wonderful!! you guys just made my day for sure! thanks.
cable
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is always a pleasure to read of such things. Thanks for sharing...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nothing better than a good story...thanks for sharing, and a tip of the hat to Deadeye 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent 8)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Those stories sorta remind me of how I did'nt have it coming up..You fellows had it good.
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

These kind of posts are my kind of reading!! Thanks! .DT
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Loved you sharing that story! My little guy who is four leaned in real close and whispered so his mother could not hear, " Dad when I grow up I wanna be your brother". I replied " son you will be ".

I am glad to hear you were "best Bros" with your Dad. Read an interesting article today http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06/14/fathers-day/
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Hobie wrote:It is always a pleasure to read of such things. Thanks for sharing...
+1 -- i have to agree....makes me miss my dad (--insert tear here--)...that is a great story... :)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Great story. My dad is not a gun person. Perhaps I should try to take him to the range before I dont have the opportunity. Thanks for the stories guys
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Glad you guys enjoyed the story. Sorry for the slow response as I have been at the ranch for four days doing chores. There are no phones or computers out there. Blew up 3.5 pounds of TANNERITE this trip wired to a steel T post. Bent it back 30 degrees. Fun, but is is starting to get Hot out there.
I started to tell this tale a few times before, but it has taken me six months time to tell it without chokin up too bad. I enjoy telling the story, and certainly Deadeye never got tired of hearing it!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Hobie wrote:It is always a pleasure to read of such things. Thanks for sharing...
+1
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Nice stories about your dads.

My dad didn't care for guns but he quite willingly helped me build my first reloading table.

It's for sure, parents want their kids to be happy. Most of the time the reverse is also true.

Don