Shooting day -- 250 Savage (kinda' pic heavy)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Shooting day -- 250 Savage (kinda' pic heavy)

Post by earlmck »

Nice day in sunny Central Oregon today. Mid 70's and a cooling breeze to keep the 'skeeters down. So I headed for my favorite gravel pit with a batch of rifles, the main one being the Model 99A in 250 Savage I just got from Mark out in Georgia (aka redlevel42). This one is a '73 model which has a 10" twist. I also had along my '37 model which has the 14" twist. So just for grins I shot some 120 grain Speers out of both rifles. Here's what I got when I did that little exercise:
120Speer14inch7394.jpg
120Speer10inch7396.jpg
As you can see the new rifle didn't particularly like this load -- about a 3.5" group. But the old rifle didn't shoot it at all -- a 10" scatter with one of the holes very oblong and another somewhat oblong. Those long bullets were yawing out of the 14" twist. Inside the 120 grain scatter is a 100 grain load that the new rifle didn't like real well either, about a 3" group with it. One of the 100 grain loads it shot fairly well -- about a 2" group:
100Rem10inch7397.jpg
But it looks like the easiest to get accuracy with would be the 90 grain Sierra with this 1 1/8" group:
90Sierra10inch7403.jpg
And here is the new rifle:
250Sav99A7399.jpg
And the old rifle:
250Sav997402.jpg
So that's the model 99 report for today. Also had promising shooting results with 35 Remington and the Lyman 358415 (200 grain roundnose designed for the short-necked 35 Remington cartridge). 20 grains of 4759 gave me a 1.5" group but I didn't take any pictures (just a danged old pump gun, ya' know). But I'm guessing the load will work well in the levers, too. That'll be another range report one of these fine days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting day -- 250 Savage (kinda' pic heavy)

Post by Borregos »

Very interesting report, thanks :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

A fun day in the sandbox, kids at heart. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Good report earl!
And just what I used to experience with the 14" twist 40 years ago, about 10" groups with the 100 grain bullet I wanted to use but 87 grainers would print under my thumbnail. Actually I found that whitetails couldn't tell the difference as they seemed to die very quickly when hit with the 87 grain bullet.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

earl, you're giving me a bad case of seller's remorse here. :(

Actually, I'm glad to see the Savage in the hands of someone who will use it and appreciate it.
I don't guess I ever "shot groups" with it. It was strictly a hunting rifle. I never loaded for rifles, only for .38/.357 and .45 Colt, so I used factory 100 grain ammo. I sighted in at the beginning of deer season each year, and when I got three consecutive shots inside four or so inches, I was ready. We were sighting in over a pickup hood and a folded jacket. We didn't know where a bench or range was. We stepped off 100 yards in the pasture, drew a 1" bull on a paper plate, and let fly. It worked pretty well, because I usually took three or four deer per year when I was hunting regularly.

I mostly used 100 grain Silvertips in the old Savage. They seemed to sight in good, and performed well on our 150 lb whitetails.

I hope you can get a load to do what you want it to. What can you reasonably expect, as far as groups are concerned?
I hope somebody takes a deer with it, because that is what it was made for.
Thanks for keeping us posted.

Mark
Georgia On My Mind
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Looks like you're well under way. Oh, and them there ole' Rem pump guns will hang with ya. Mine will do MOA and it is a 1939 model.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Earl,
As expected ---on the 120 Speers. They just barely stabilize in my 257 Rbts. at 2800. Every ten shots or so, I'll get one thats a foot away. It eats those 100 Sierra SFB nicely though.

Lots of fun with those '99's. Even a so-so one will outshoot most Winchesters---and I'm a Winchester man. :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

All these 250 loads were on the light side in deference to a rifle that was new to me (2600 fps at the top end). Next time out I'll try a series of loads that are more around the factory 100 grain velocity range (2800fps or so). Interesting that the only load that I shot in both rifles chronographed virtually identical velocities (120 grain Speer, 36 grains H4831SC, 2365 fps) even though the old rifle has a 22" barrel and the new one a 20" barrel.

To simplify life I should use the 90 grain Sierra that shoots well in both rifles, but I have a lot of those 100 grain Remington bullets that seem like they will be good in the new rifle (I think any of the 100 grain loads tried yesterday would kill a deer to 200 yards just fine) but I like to play around so I'll be doing more shooting before settling on the hunting load. If I were going to chase the elk with this rifle I'd do more with those 120 grain Speers. I'm sure I'd find a load that shot much better: that was just a first guess with a light load.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Nice report. I had one of those 99A's and may buy another.

Can't think of a cartridge that'll do more for it's size than the 250 Savage.

Don