Gotta read this---Now this is what I call a reward

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Gotta read this---Now this is what I call a reward

Post by madman4570 »

Ok, my brother and his family is at his favorite Restaurant (with family)and they are just starting their meal (listening to a nice jazz band).
Everything going great,then all of a sudden he hears this loud opera singing.He looks around,doesn't notice anything different. :roll:
Everyone is just doing their thing.He looks at the wife, says that high pitched opera singing is coming from the adjoining next room and its getting higher and higher pitched.

He thinks WTF and gets up and goes in the other room. EVERYONE is still eating like NORMAL except this women(in her 60's ??)standing up at her table.Brother walks over looks down at her husband(his lips are blue,and he is heaving)

Brother grabs him,yanks him out of the chair and starts doing the Heimlich.
Nothing---he keeps doing it,nothing.
He thinks screw it,no guts no glory and REALLY squashes him.The older man starts grabbing his arms/gasping. Brother looks down feeling this warm feeling on his wrist area.Its a big piece of slimmed steak/slim all over the wrist.The man sits down and starts talking to his wife.Everyone is just looking.

Brother goes back to his table,too keyed up(can't finish his dinner) They sit there.He orders a stiff drink.
15 mins later the couple leaving comes up to his table,the smile, he pats bro on the back-----and then :?: (gives him $5) :lol: :oops: :D

When brother gets ready to leave they say(how was everything???) :shock:

WTF, Is it me or would you have least bought that man(just saved your life dinner)whole family dinner/ whatever???
Or shouldn't the restaurant said on the house/or here is a coupon bring family back and have a fine dinner when you can relax and THANK YOU!!!! :?: :idea:

Gotta love people.(now,he didn't do it for any payoff mind you)but I gotta say---them people are kludged/Restaurant too. :o
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gotta read this---Now this is what I call a reward

Post by jeepnik »

Just a thought, but maybe $5 is a lot of money to the fellow. And, since he did it just because he should, I sorta think he should have handed the five back and told the fellow to hug his wife and kids/grandkids as an expression of thanks instead.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

jeepnik wrote:Just a thought, but maybe $5 is a lot of money to the fellow. And, since he did it just because he should, I sorta think he should have handed the five back and told the fellow to hug his wife and kids/grandkids as an expression of thanks instead.
He said he thought of that,but it might OFFEND him :lol:
I am sorry------------------$5(Kludged) :lol:

When he told the wife and I this yesterday(we laughed for 20mins)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Give Bro a big attaboy......His warm fuzzy feeling should be worth millions :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:Give Bro a big attaboy......His warm fuzzy feeling should be worth millions :wink:
Amen.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

A year or two ago we were eating in a local family resturant and similar happened to me. I lost my nose due to cancer and have a new one built up out of my rib and ear grissle with my own scalp drapped over it. (ot, got to shave my nose), I have next to no nostrel. I was drinking coffee and either laughed or started to say something and the coffee went down the wrong pipe and also up my nose at the same time. My wife was beating me on the back and things got serious for awhile for me. My wife even started crying. The resturant was full and I felt foolish. When I got my breath I half a$$ed told everyone I would pick up their bill. Thank God none took me up on it! I seriously doubt if I had that much money in the checking account or on me!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Hey, its the thought that counts! Could have been a lot worse. My late friend Mark was in a bar in Miami back in the days when not to many people had heard of the Heimlich and a woman was running around panicked and turning blue. Luckily Mark had had a course in CPR and such just a few weeks before and had learned about the HM at that time. He had to pop her 3 times to get the chcken wing to come out. Everyone else just stared. All was good untell she and her lawyer sued him for breaking 2 ribs. He beat the lawsuit but it cost him several thousand in lawyer bills which he never recouped.
A few years later Fl passed a good Samaritin law which is suposed to stop this kind of BS lawsuit, but it was to late for him.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

madman - I have to admit that I first I thought this was a joke. Took me till halfway down the page to realize it wasn't.

I am to understand that what was described to you as "opera singing" was possibly the wife's attempt at screaming ? Maybe screaming for help ?

If not, I'll be perplexed for a while longer as to why a woman whose husband is choking would decide that's the time to sing Ave Maria ? :roll: - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Buy your brother a drink and assure him that he is one of the good guys. It should be obvious from his experience that that men who know what to do in life-threatening emergencies are few and far between. Men who jump into action are RARE.

People are embarrassed by such personal mishaps, and I'm not certain there is an established scale of recompense for the effort expended in assisting someone in such dire need.

What value does one put on their own life that they might properly pay in a public place or at dinner other than simply saying maybe a heartfelt "Thank You?"

I'm not quite sure what I would think of a man who expected a "reward" for doing the right thing.

:|
Last edited by FWiedner on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

FWiedner wrote:Buy your brother a drink and assure him that he is one of the good guys. It should be obvious from his experience that that men who know what to do in in a life-threatening emergencies are few and far between. Men who jump into action are RARE.

People are embarrassed by such personal mishaps, and I'm not certain there is an established scale of recompense for the effort expended in assisting someone in such dire need.

What value does one put on their own life that they might properly pay in a public place or at dinner other than simply saying maybe a heartfelt "Thank You?"

I'm not quite sure what I would think of a man who expected a "reward" for doing the right thing.

:|
+1
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

DixieBoy wrote:madman - I have to admit that I first I thought this was a joke. Took me till halfway down the page to realize it wasn't.

I am to understand that what was described to you as "opera singing" was possibly the wife's attempt at screaming ? Maybe screaming for help ?

If not, I'll be perplexed for a while longer as to why a woman whose husband is choking would decide that's the time to sing Ave Maria ? :roll: - DixieBoy
Your dead right---her attempt at screaming! :wink:
Gotta understand,its not that I think bro should have been paid(thanks would be enough)but it was the way he said the gentleman gave it to him. Like you tip the luggage guy at a Hotel.(no thanks from either :D--------------------just Here :? Oh and the pat. :lol:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[.(no thanks from either --------------------just Here Oh and the pat. ]

AKA: an attaboy................... :roll:

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My bro says I must have ADHD :lol:

Talked to him today about his deal(told him I told you guys)

He said no/no/no------you screwed up telling it.

While the other background music was playing that opera sound(all mixed in with the other music)was the women trying to squeak out the words (my husband is choking/please help)but it took about 4 times hearing that to figure(WTF)guy over there choking.

Also, He did not take the money(he said thanks,but no thanks,just glad you are fine) I told him I told you guys he took it. :lol:

He said-----------wow dude/hope your mind ain't going!

Anyway,after 2hrs today with him(on Stihl chainsaws)think I can properly sharpen the teeth/height depth gauge/chain tension/cut trees down properly. :oops: Hope I can remember tomorrow.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I tried the HM on a guy in the 80s but he was too big. I looked him in the eye and told him I was about to knock the wind out of him. I popped him three times in the solar plexus and he blew out a chicken wing and then puked on the table. He left without paying his bill or tipping me.

The manager didn't make me pay for it. I figure he and his wife were too freaked out to think.

A blue person is a weird thing to see. You just act first and than look back on it and go yuk.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If that hadn't worked, Tycer, you coulda used New York City CPR as a last resort:

Lean over, atop the vic, and yell "Git up, before you freakin' die ! " . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Pete44ru wrote:"Git up, before you freakin' die ! "
:shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

We have the Samaritan act here in oz as well, as long as your intentions are good you cannot be sued.

When you do a first aid course here you are told that the Heimlich maneuver should never be done under any circumstances as it does more harm than good.

Standard procedure is to tell the victim to cough :roll: this always gets me, they will probably be panicking and not likely to listen to a word you say. Plan B is several good thumps on the back and if that don't work, several good thumps on the chest.
Many years ago a first aider gave me another option, wait till the victim passes out from lack of air, and then while their throat is relaxed use normal CPR procedures to put some air into their lungs, when you revive them they will again panic until they pass out again and you do CPR again. I was told you can do this routine indefinitely till professional help arrives.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

gundownunder wrote:We have the Samaritan act here in oz as well, as long as your intentions are good you cannot be sued.

When you do a first aid course here you are told that the Heimlich maneuver should never be done under any circumstances as it does more harm than good.

Standard procedure is to tell the victim to cough :roll: this always gets me, they will probably be panicking and not likely to listen to a word you say. Plan B is several good thumps on the back and if that don't work, several good thumps on the chest.
Many years ago a first aider gave me another option, wait till the victim passes out from lack of air, and then while their throat is relaxed use normal CPR procedures to put some air into their lungs, when you revive them they will again panic until they pass out again and you do CPR again. I was told you can do this routine indefinitely till professional help arrives.

If the person is choking (don't use it) even if they are still conscious .
wow,that's a first. :shock:
I know if they pass out,then the CPR route is standard practice.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

In these situations when dealing with strangers One never knows what they are dealing with until it is too late...As a kid of about 16 a Lady was stranded in the snow in front of My Dad's house at night. I went down to the road to see what was going on and She had a flat tire. I was able to find the jack, and She had a real spare tire in the trunk of the old boat. In about ten min She was on Her way and handed Me a crisp $50.00 bill. :o . Your a lifesaver She said.
Years later I was headed home from work on I-271 in a nasty blizzard in My CJ-5. cars spun out all over. one Well dressed women looked bad off so I stopped hooked up the tow-strap and pulled Her out while car after car wizzed by on the one open lane. I asked Her for a few bucks and She totally flipped out,screaming at Me. I told Her "I can push You right back where You were Lady". She handed Me $10.00. She would have waited 2 hours or more for a tow. that was the last time. :wink: .
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

jeepnik wrote:Just a thought, but maybe $5 is a lot of money to the fellow. And, since he did it just because he should, I sorta think he should have handed the five back and told the fellow to hug his wife and kids/grandkids as an expression of thanks instead.
Yea, I don't think I'd have accept any money, $5 or $500.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

madman4570 wrote:
gundownunder wrote:We have the Samaritan act here in oz as well, as long as your intentions are good you cannot be sued.

If the person is choking (don't use it) even if they are still conscious .
wow,that's a first. :shock:
I know if they pass out,then the CPR route is standard practice.
CPR blows the obstruction further down the gullet :o :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

We've got the "good samaratan" laws here as well. And, the poster that said to wait is correct. Once a person looses conciousness, the spasm that's helping hold the offending item in the esophogus relaxes somewhat, and then the heimlich works better. Still, it worked, the fellow got to see tomorrow, and that's all that counts.

Not to get too graphic, but when doing cpr, air often (no matter how hard you try to avoid it) gets into the stomach. You have to relieve that pressure by pushing on the stomach. This usually causes regurgitation. Hopefully, the airway isn't obstructed in the process. But it happens, and then it must be cleared. The ole finger swipe really isn't all that effective, and applying suction is the best method. Now since folks don't walk around with fancy suction devices EMTs have, and we didn't have forty odd years ago when I got started. The suction must come for you. Yea, pretty much suck, puke yourself and get on with it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jeepnik wrote:We've got the "good samaratan" laws here as well. And, the poster that said to wait is correct. Once a person looses conciousness, the spasm that's helping hold the offending item in the esophogus relaxes somewhat, and then the heimlich works better. Still, it worked, the fellow got to see tomorrow, and that's all that counts.

Not to get too graphic, but when doing cpr, air often (no matter how hard you try to avoid it) gets into the stomach. You have to relieve that pressure by pushing on the stomach. This usually causes regurgitation. Hopefully, the airway isn't obstructed in the process. But it happens, and then it must be cleared. The ole finger swipe really isn't all that effective, and applying suction is the best method. Now since folks don't walk around with fancy suction devices EMTs have, and we didn't have forty odd years ago when I got started. The suction must come for you. Yea, pretty much suck, puke yourself and get on with it.
The other thing that happens in CPR is you usually separate the ribs from the sternum... get that 'ol "crunchy feeling". :shock:

On the regurgitation, that's one of the big reasons the "new thing" for non-EMS personnel is "Hands-Only CPR".
http://www.handsonlycpr.org/handson/
http://www.redcross.org/handsonly
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAndECC ... mePage.jsp

People get so squeamish about playing kissyface with someone who may have who-knows-what body-fluid-transmittable disease (or just had a nasty lunch) that people wouldn't jump in to keep the blood flowing.

It's usually good enough until the Pros get there with the toys.

Oh, and as a Volunteer EMT, I don't get rewarded for anything I do either. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

OI, there is a reward. But it's an internal one. Those who act know they've done what they could. Those that don't will likely have to deal with the thoughts of their inaction for the rest of their lives.

Sometimes what we do works, sometimes it doesn't, but at least we've done something. Heck, I tell folks do something, even if it's wrong, at least you didn't stand around with your thumb up your ***.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

.45colt wrote:In these situations when dealing with strangers One never knows what they are dealing with until it is too late...As a kid of about 16 a Lady was stranded in the snow in front of My Dad's house at night. I went down to the road to see what was going on and She had a flat tire. I was able to find the jack, and She had a real spare tire in the trunk of the old boat. In about ten min She was on Her way and handed Me a crisp $50.00 bill. :o . Your a lifesaver She said.
Years later I was headed home from work on I-271 in a nasty blizzard in My CJ-5. cars spun out all over. one Well dressed women looked bad off so I stopped hooked up the tow-strap and pulled Her out while car after car wizzed by on the one open lane. I asked Her for a few bucks and She totally flipped out,screaming at Me. I told Her "I can push You right back where You were Lady". She handed Me $10.00. She would have waited 2 hours or more for a tow. that was the last time. :wink: .
Let's see if I get this; you help someone and then ask for money, right? Then your feelings get hurt when the party assisted - thinking that you were doing it out of the goodness of your heart - sounds off about being suckered by a mendacious (choose your own noun)...

Sorry, but I don't get it...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Ironsights wrote:
jeepnik wrote:We've got the "good samaratan" laws here as well. And, the poster that said to wait is correct. Once a person looses conciousness, the spasm that's helping hold the offending item in the esophogus relaxes somewhat, and then the heimlich works better. Still, it worked, the fellow got to see tomorrow, and that's all that counts.

The other thing that happens in CPR is you usually separate the ribs from the sternum... get that 'ol "crunchy feeling". :shock:

On the regurgitation, that's one of the big reasons the "new thing" for non-EMS personnel is "Hands-Only CPR".
http://www.handsonlycpr.org/handson/
http://www.redcross.org/handsonly
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAndECC ... mePage.jsp

People get so squeamish about playing kissyface with someone who may have who-knows-what body-fluid-transmittable disease (or just had a nasty lunch) that people wouldn't jump in to keep the blood flowing.

It's usually good enough until the Pros get there with the toys.

Oh, and as a Volunteer EMT, I don't get rewarded for anything I do either. :wink:
As a trained EMT(would you let the person go out,or try "the move"??
When I was a Emergency Response Manager for my Org.(Comp.Eng)before I retired they still did "the move" we also had the protective masks for CPR(was no EMT mind you) Only did compressions only when heart attack/heart stops of electrical shock etc.
Then they got some defibs!

Man,much has changed.

Could just see it now---------------------

Bro yells to screaming woman(lady sit down and shut up)we'll let him go unconcious so he stops that frigin drooling/flopping stuff then maybe I will look at him(besides I wanna finish my burger) :roll:
Also ain't putting my mouth on him---------------ruin the moment of that fine burger.

So, is there anytime they do CPR(now)not just chest compressions???????

I always keep thinking good ol 15 & 2 (strip chart Anne always liked it) :D

Better than just sitting there??????? :?:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

As an EMT I still do Breaths with CPR, but I always have a pocket mask with me even when I don't have other equipment.

I would ALWAYS try the Back Blows/Heimlich on a choker if possible. CPR sucks.

The new AED/Defibs are only effective for certain types of arrhythmias. If the PT is flatline they won't work.

Moving the blood is more important in the short term than O2 saturation. One of the reasons for non-trained First Responders to do "Compression Only" CPR is to keep the heart from completely stopping and the brain dying from stagnant/deoxygenated blood.

Restarting the system becomes progressively/exponentially harder after that.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Charity vaunteth not itself. 1 Cor 13:4

To attempt to thank you would be to lessen the gift --Kwai Chiang Caine as Kung Fu

Get over it.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

airdaleman wrote;Let's see if I get this; you help someone and then ask for money, right? Then your feelings get hurt when the party assisted - thinking that you were doing it out of the goodness of your heart - sounds off about being suckered by a mendacious (choose your own noun)...

This was in the winter of 77-78 we had way more than 100" of snow.before the days of cell-phones.there were dozens of cars stranded/spunout every snowstorm.just stopping on the freeway was inviteing a serious accident by another driver slamming into Your car when they spunout. I was a Kid and was just looking for a little gas money.the rest of the ones I never helped shelled out allot more than that for a wrecker,after waiting 1-3 hours. the noun I will use for Myself is Sucker for trying to help an idiot. :shock: .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

.45colt wrote:airdaleman wrote;Let's see if I get this; you help someone and then ask for money, right? Then your feelings get hurt when the party assisted - thinking that you were doing it out of the goodness of your heart - sounds off about being suckered by a mendacious (choose your own noun)...

This was in the winter of 77-78 we had way more than 100" of snow.before the days of cell-phones.there were dozens of cars stranded/spunout every snowstorm.just stopping on the freeway was inviteing a serious accident by another driver slamming into Your car when they spunout. I was a Kid and was just looking for a little gas money.the rest of the ones I never helped shelled out allot more than that for a wrecker,after waiting 1-3 hours. the noun I will use for Myself is Sucker for trying to help an idiot. :shock: .
We used to have ice storms, and after one I would take the rig up and down looking for people in a ditch, and offer to get them out for 20 bucks...they were very grateful. I think I did several for free, too. I made some cash, and saved the people money if they didnt' have AAA.....I have no guilt about that at all.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineG wrote:We used to have ice storms, and after one I would take the rig up and down looking for people in a ditch, and offer to get them out for 20 bucks...they were very grateful. I think I did several for free, too. I made some cash, and saved the people money if they didnt' have AAA.....I have no guilt about that at all.
A man in a restaurant begins to choke and grasps at this throat... Presently another fellow in the room leans over the bluish individual and says "Gimme a few bucks or I'm gonna let you die". The first guy scrapes a fiver and some change off the table with a sweep of his arm so the hero punches him under the sternum causing a large choclolate bon-bon to be propelled across the room.

Then, the second guy leaves the first guy and approaches several more concerned patrons of the establishment, asking them "You chokin'? I can help... for 20 bucks."

Finding few takers, Blaine moves his newly organized rescue service over to the Red Lobster to wait...

------------------------------------

Hmmm... Similar, but not quite the same.

:lol:
Last edited by FWiedner on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:
BlaineG wrote:We used to have ice storms, and after one I would take the rig up and down looking for people in a ditch, and offer to get them out for 20 bucks...they were very grateful. I think I did several for free, too. I made some cash, and saved the people money if they didnt' have AAA.....I have no guilt about that at all.
A man in a restaurant begins to choke and grasps at this throat... Presntly another fellow in the room leans over the bluish individual and says "Gimme a few bucks or I'm gonna let you die". The first guy scapes a fiver and some change off the table with a sweep of his arm so the hero punches him under the sternum causing a large choclolate bon-bon to be propelled across the room.

Then, the second guy leaves the first guy and approaches several more concerned patrons of the establishment, asking them "You chokin'? I can help... for 20 bucks."

Finding few takers, Blaine moves his newly organized rescue service over to the Red Lobster to wait...

------------------------------------

Hmmm... Similar, but not quite the same.

:lol:
For the Crack Whores, I'll do 'em free, and send the bills to you :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

This thread illustrates that I'm getting old & grouchy.

NOONE encourages respect and courtesy as a just and proper response to good and worthy actions. Especially not business, government (most emphatically the Supreme Court)-- and almost all U.S. citizens in social situations.

It's documented in the misinterpretations of the 1925 federal arbitration act, on facebook or skype, overzealous, routinely unconstitutional prosecutions by district attorneys, routine civil rights violations committed against almost all U.S. citizens, focus on miniscule facts to convict a person, unconstitutional contract interpretations by companies against consumers, and cram down of dogma on the masses just for starters.

No doubt my comments today reflect that I had bad day at work, but I could strenuously and legitimately argument my points backed up with solid legal support. Acceptance of those future arguments if they occur, of course is a different story. Remember, many people first thought the arguments against Obamacare seemed very weak when in fact they have some validity based on prior court statements. OH I so enjoy my First Amendment Rights!! Rant over, I feel better.

rimrock
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

FWIW, I do, and I insist upon it in my EMTs...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

+1 agreed. i have done exactly this thing a couple of times.. would have been insulted/ embarassed if someone tried to pay me for it.
cable
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Matthew 5:12
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Breaker... 10-4...

23 Skidoo...

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

And, since he did it just because he should, I sorta think he should have handed the five back and told the fellow to hug his wife and kids/grandkids as an expression of thanks instead.
That sounds about right.....

I've never had to save anybody's life like that, but ya gotta wonder. Sombebody's
jsut saved your life? What's that worth? REALLY? If I saved a REALLY rich guy's life,
and he asked what he could do, I might say, MOSTLY in jest, "pay for my kids' college!" If he
said yes, I'd be tempted to take him up on it! On the other hand, I wouldn't take any money from
a workin' stiff like me. Maybe let him buy dinner if the bill wasn't too high and he insisted.
But 5 bucks?! Your life is worth more than that, eh? I'd be embarassed to offer 5 bucks for
my life. Others may have a different opinion of me...... :o :lol:

I think that a heartfelt, "Thanks, buddy - I really appreciate it", is more or less the
appropriate response, followed by on offer to pick up the rescuer's tab if the rescued
can afford it.

People are funny, though!!!

-Stretch
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Gunny Highway sez: "just because you saved my life, don't think we're gonna hold hands and swap spit in the shower...Now, wipe that just-pumped-the-neighbor's-cat look off your face and get away from me.." :P (I loved that movie)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

stretch wrote: But 5 bucks?! Your life is worth more than that, eh? I'd be embarassed to offer 5 bucks for
my life. "Thanks, buddy - I really appreciate it", is more or less the
appropriate response, followed by on offer to pick up the rescuer's tab if the rescued
can afford it.

-Stretch

Dead right :wink:

Or even, Sir-------God Bless you,you saved my life. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH----(even enough)
but pulling out a 5 spot and plunking er down on the table-------------Kludged,I am sorry :lol: :roll:

Wonder if he saved his wife(he might have gave bro a whole $1) :lol: Good grief
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

I can't believe anybody would expect a cash reward for saving somebody's life. I'm even more surprised that so many here agree, with the only argument being about the size of the award. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I think a reward of any size cheapens the act.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Washita wrote:I can't believe anybody would expect a cash reward for saving somebody's life. I'm even more surprised that so many here agree, with the only argument being about the size of the award. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I think a reward of any size cheapens the act.

Missing the whole point.
Did you read my posts???????
Do you consider it proper conduct then to (after someone saved your life/you slimmed their shirt/ruined their dinner/to then just tap em on the back,belch throw $5 down by dinner plate and leave??? Let me repeat--------------He did not say THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! He did not say ANYTHING
He tapped my brothers shoulder while my brother was sitting back at his table and still in shock/hyped up etc. and his meal ruined and that yahoo threw down $5 next to his plate.(did the meal be ruined bother my brother????heck no!
Is it me,or what! Let's be frank----the idiot should have opened his frigin mouth(because he can still because my brother just saved his good old a##, and said nothing/no---THANK YOU??????????? No excuses(unless he had the Helen Keller thing going on)

Its that act and the plunking down $5 is what(amused me,well the $5 thing,the not saying anything,didn't amuse me)
My brother would be the last man to expect MONEY. Whether he took it or not would be his instant thought process of whether that would/would not be the most proper thing to do in that event.

If he thought that refusing that $5 hurt his feelings/insulted him at that refusal moment that would be something that he would judge by that mans body language/actions at the time and if so he then might say(well, sure thank you)??? You would have to be there real time to know whats what right then??

It just amused me, period! (at least me/my brother/his wife/my wife etc.)

Do/would I expect that guy to offer something(maybe???)why???? because I probably would be thinking in my brain if someone just saved my life at a restaurant with me choking and barfing over their attire (I might want to buy their dinner)(a stiff drink)etc. but not saying a word tossing $5 :lol: :lol:

Well pal, I just find it funny--------------no one else does--------------------------------cool!

Where I come from-----------kludged!

ps----the guys wife not saying anything too(like THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY HUSBAND)was an idiot too.