.32 mag cast bullet loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

.32 mag cast bullet loads

Post by walks with gun »

Bought a Lee 85gr. semi wadcutter mold yesterday, they weigh out an even 90grs. I usually use Unique powder, anyone have a good medium velocity favorite load for this. I'm loading for my daughters 5.5 single six.
Don McDowell

Re: .32 mag cast bullet loads

Post by Don McDowell »

I don't use anything that light for bullets in the 32, prefer the rcbs 98swc... But having said that trailboss makes an excellent low recoil , moderate velocity load in that.
Bludot is what I use when I want to spice things up a bit..
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm at work but I think, and you're responsible for checking a manual, that it was 4.0 or 4.5 gr. Unique. Those might have been for .32 S&W level loads, just can't be sure without my records.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You can look at the online data from Alliant, altho they change it around quite often it seems as tho they usually have data for unique and the 32, and when all else fails you can use data for the 32 long.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I use the Lee 93 gr round nose with 3.8 to 5.1 grains of AA5 depending on on what kind of velocity you like.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I don't try to push cast loads with it anymore and have settled on 2 loads. Load #1 is my plinkin and small game load: 98gr Suters hardcast in front of 2.0 grains of Titegroup. It's basically a .32 Long load, better thump than any .22lr and less noise from my 4 3/4" barrel. Load #2 is a little more serious. 6.6grs of Bluedot behind a 85gr. XTP JHP. It's within book with good performance. Remarkably enough POI for both loads is within 1" of each other at 50 feet(great for my fixed sight SS) and both will do 1" groups.

Don't ignore the Titegroup. A little goes a long ways and I find it much cleaner than Unique in light to moderate loads. I heard/read it burns too hot (temp wise) for heavy loads and my own testing resulted in a lot of leading when I try to push hard cast fast with it. Was it the bullet or was it the powder? Heck if I know but it didn't work. YMMV.

LK
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

My bullets are weighing in at a even 90grs. and am trying 3.5 grs. of Unique, seems for about 900fps I would like to report how accurate it is but have been to the bench 3 times and have shot 3 different groups, there are all ok but the humidity or dust or the wind or something is bothering my eyes. I should have started this project several years ago when conditions were better. It was so much easier to hit things back then.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I use any 32-20 bullet that I happen to have cast which is almost always a 115 gr. Lyman 311008 in front of a reloading manuals max load of Bullseye or Unique, which incidently, if I remember right :D is 3 of Bulls. or 4 of Unique.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

walks with gun wrote:My bullets are weighing in at a even 90grs. and am trying 3.5 grs. of Unique, seems for about 900fps I would like to report how accurate it is but have been to the bench 3 times and have shot 3 different groups, there are all ok but the humidity or dust or the wind or something is bothering my eyes. I should have started this project several years ago when conditions were better. It was so much easier to hit things back then.
My friend you need a barn door for a target, like me, and bigger game. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.