Ramline Plastic Tactical M336 Stock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Ramline Plastic Tactical M336 Stock

Post by Idiot »

I've got a Marlin M336 short rifle and want to make it more tactical. Wood is good in the woods but not in the hood. The only tactical synthetic stock made for the M336 is from Ramline. Have any of you guys used one of these stocks? How are they for fit? Do they hold up to extreme urban use and abuse? Do they look as cool on a gun as they do in the pictures? Please let me know what you've come to know about these stocks.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Well I've never used the Ram Line stock but I am sure it is all its purported to be.

I would like to suggest you might want to look at a laminate stock instead. They are stronger than fiberglass, and better looking.

Wm
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

wm wrote:
I would like to suggest you might want to look at a laminate stock instead. They are stronger than fiberglass, and better looking.

Wm
If by "urban" you mean self defense, then I'm going to have to say a laminated
stock would give a much better butt stroke being heavier and less giving.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

TacStock

Post by Idiot »

Can laminate be obtained for $59.99? Tactical has to coincide with practical.

Where can one find a drop in laminated stock? Ain't they kinda heavy?
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

RamTac

Post by Idiot »

Oop! I forgot to ask; Jeeps, what's a "much better butt stroke?" I'm not familiar with that particular action.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Please don't feed the trolls.

Just the user name choice should be enough to ignore this guy...
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Idiot does have a point, what's is a "much better butt stroke"? :lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

nemhed wrote:Idiot does have a point, what's is a "much better butt stroke"? :lol:
One that won't break your rifle in half when you take somebody't head off with it in H2H CQB...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Ram Tac

Post by Idiot »

Oh, "butt stroke" means "clubing." The laminated stock makes a better club. Okay, that's a legitimate consideration. I know the Ramlines used to be hollow, and likely still are, so they'd make a terrible club.

I never considered the club angle though. I kinda thought my loaded Glock would work better. :wink:

Anyway, that's certainly something to consider. I've got high hopes for this urban defense carbine.

Thanks Old Ironsights.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

I've recently installed two Ramline stocks ... one on a Sears/Winchester and one on my Rossi .357. They are still hollow and need to be filled with some sort of insulation material. The one that went on the Sears/Winny 94 fit right on. The ones for the Marlin should fit with minimal or no work.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

apparently, some manufacturers see money in making levers more tactical. http://www.xssights.com/ shows a tactical fore end for levers on p. 12 of their 2008 catalog. a different look may be just what it takes for you to enjoy more shooting or to convince antoher person to take up the shooting sports.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

oldgerboy wrote:I've recently installed two Ramline stocks ... one on a Sears/Winchester and one on my Rossi .357. They are still hollow and need to be filled with some sort of insulation material. The one that went on the Sears/Winny 94 fit right on. The ones for the Marlin should fit with minimal or no work.
What Ramline fits the Rossi? Mine has a really BAD wood stock I may refinish, but would like to put something serviceable on it while I take a year to refinish the wood one (or in case I botch it).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

RamTac

Post by Idiot »

rimrock wrote:apparently, some manufacturers see money in making levers more tactical. http://www.xssights.com/ shows a tactical fore end for levers on p. 12 of their 2008 catalog. a different look may be just what it takes for you to enjoy more shooting or to convince antoher person to take up the shooting sports.
Wow, that thing with all the rails on it is a tad too spooky for me. But thanks for the lead.

olderboy, what did you fill your stock with? I suppose stuffing it with Styrofoam would keep the sound down without bringing the weight up. Is there a better stuffing?

I can't get the idea of turning my gun into a bludgeon after running out of a magazine full of ammo and two hi-cap mags of 10MM; who sells a good laminated stock? It was suggested above and it is becoming more of an option by the minute.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Hey Idiot, two suggestions you could try. Someone recently posted pictures of a Marlin stock painted with black spray on truck bed liner and seemed to be happy with it. The other suggestion; I've used the expanding foam insulation in a can to fill the hollow space in side a plastic stock with good results.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

oldgerboy wrote:I've recently installed two Ramline stocks ... one on a Sears/Winchester and one on my Rossi .357. They are still hollow and need to be filled with some sort of insulation material. The one that went on the Sears/Winny 94 fit right on. The ones for the Marlin should fit with minimal or no work.
I tried to put a ramline 94 stock on my Rossi 92, but I'm not good enough with plasticwork to figure out how to make it fit. :?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

I used one for a 94 Winny. DON'T DO IT ... IT WAS A P.I.T.A.

I'd either re-finish yours or do what nemhed suggested.

Both pieces needed extra inletting and material added.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

oldgerboy wrote:I used one for a 94 Winny. DON'T DO IT ... IT WAS A P.I.T.A.
I thought so (too). After mucking about with it for a while I put the stock away.

My intent wasn't so much to have somthing "tacticool" but to have a hollow stock I culd fill with survival gear/ammo like the old hollow-handle survival knives.

Cool Idea, lousy implementation.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Ram Tac

Post by Idiot »

Thanks for all the great feedback. My main concern is durability - looking cool is just a bi-product.

Filling the hollow with blow up foam is a good idea. I use that stuff to fill up holes all the time - I don't know why I didn't think of it.

I tried to find a source of laminated stocks but couldn't find one for an M336. I guess I could get one from Marlin, but I'm not sure my old pre-safety 30-30 is configured the same as their new stuff.

After all this discussion, I've come full circle and will abandon the idea of a RamLine stock. I'll just reinforce my current walnut stock and make any necessary repairs to it (someone forced a sling swivel stud in the target hole and boogered that up - a little glue should secure it).

I've given a lot of thought to the "butt stroke" idea and like it. However, any wack from the butt will have to be butt first because the walnut stocks are a tad thin in the tang area and will likely crack after one "stroke." If I ever need to I can butt punch and do the stroking with the barrel. Does anyone make a steel butt plate for an M336 standard short rifle?

Now that I've decided to keep the wood, I'll likely strip it down and stain it with some camo colors (I didn't say I'd abandon being a sidewalk commando) and coat the whole thing in dull spar varnish. The camo stain ensures it will remain colored even after being scratched and the varnish will seal the thing up pretty tight. Then I'll add a scope to complement the iron sights and viola!, I've got a right-on-by-golly urban defense weapon system (you gotta say "system" to be in with the tactical crowd).

Now, if I add a magazine follower to handle the Hornady LeverEvolution bullets, I'll have an evil "sniper" rifle - I think. :wink:

Thanks a lot guys. You saved me around $70 and what sounds like a lot of time and effort.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Ram Tac

Post by Old Ironsights »

Idiot wrote:...I've given a lot of thought to the "butt stroke" idea and like it. However, any wack from the butt will have to be butt first because the walnut stocks are a tad thin in the tang area and will likely crack after one "stroke."
Actually, you would be holding the stock at the tang.

Imagine you are shooting, and someone comes inside your muzzle.

Holding the gun exactly like you do when firing, pull your fore-arm hand toward you and, using that as a pivot point, forcefully "stroke" the bottom point of the stock into the groin &/or temple of yon zombie. You can also imagine it like stroking a canoe paddle, but putting the force into the forward/upward motion instead of the downward/drag.
If I ever need to I can butt punch and do the stroking with the barrel. Does anyone make a steel butt plate for an M336 standard short rifle?...
Please don't bend your gun barrel. Your rifle isn't a bat. Sure you can do a butt smach to the face, but usually after a good butt stroke... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Ram Tac

Post by Idiot »

Butt stroke, butt smash, butt punch; so many tools, so little time and perps. :wink:
Hobie

Re: RamTac

Post by Hobie »

Idiot wrote:
rimrock wrote:apparently, some manufacturers see money in making levers more tactical. http://www.xssights.com/ shows a tactical fore end for levers on p. 12 of their 2008 catalog. a different look may be just what it takes for you to enjoy more shooting or to convince antoher person to take up the shooting sports.
Wow, that thing with all the rails on it is a tad too spooky for me. But thanks for the lead.

olderboy, what did you fill your stock with? I suppose stuffing it with Styrofoam would keep the sound down without bringing the weight up. Is there a better stuffing?

I can't get the idea of turning my gun into a bludgeon after running out of a magazine full of ammo and two hi-cap mags of 10MM; who sells a good laminated stock? It was suggested above and it is becoming more of an option by the minute.
Sometimes one needs to buttstroke somebody to gain time to reload. :wink:

I know one fellow who used a spray-in expandable foam. I think he has some experience as he didn't use a product that damaged the stock (through unfortunate chemical reaction).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Idiot, just a final thought on my part for this thread. Shoot 'em before they get close enough to do all this smashing and stroking and poking and punching. :wink:
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Ram Tac

Post by Idiot »

nemhed wrote:Idiot, just a final thought on my part for this thread. Shoot 'em before they get close enough to do all this smashing and stroking and poking and punching. :wink:
"Sound wisdom" nemhed, "sound wisdom."
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

If theyre light I wonder if you cant dump some shot in there before filling it with foam? Wheres the opening?
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Ram Tac

Post by Idiot »

If you look at the one on the Frugal Outdoorsman website http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/heart.htm it looks like it removing the butt plate opens it up. Filling it with shot would certainly make it heavy and turn it into a butt stock sap. I get bruised just thinking about it.

Man, you guys are creative. I was just thinking about a menacing looking urban defense rifle and you guys taken to the heights of a weapons system. The couch commando crowd would be cheering if they heard this.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

butt stroke is used in bayonet fighting.

horozontal and vertical.

the older springfield, garands and m-14s were particulary good for this as they had the weight behind the 'stroke' and had a steel butt plate. (the 9" of cold steel below the muzzle was even more added deterent when used with the "long thrust")
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

One of my Drill Instructors once commented that "The only battle rifle worth it's weight is one that can kill the enemy using either end."

I've yet to find fault with that philisophy.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Ram Tac

Post by Old Ironsights »

Idiot wrote:...Man, you guys are creative. I was just thinking about a menacing looking urban defense rifle and you guys taken to the heights of a weapons system. The couch commando crowd would be cheering if they heard this.
Some of us were "commandos" before we "retired" to the couch... :?

I relate only the wisdom of Sensei Drill Sergeant, as spoken to many young grasshoppers. :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:...Mine has a really BAD wood stock I may refinish, but would like to put something serviceable on it while I take a year to refinish the wood one (or in case I botch it).
Try refinishing it. Several here have done theirs, and in most cases I recall the wood underneath is far better than some (including me) could imagine!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:...Mine has a really BAD wood stock I may refinish, but would like to put something serviceable on it while I take a year to refinish the wood one (or in case I botch it).
Try refinishing it. Several here have done theirs, and in most cases I recall the wood underneath is far better than some (including me) could imagine!
I think I will - again :oops: - When I got the gun the receiver and barrel were in good shape, but the buttstock and screws awful, so I was going to get them re-blued, but wound up putting them to a parkerizing batch. I had the finish off the stock, then stored it for awhile, and motor oil (used, no less) splashed on it :shock: - so now I have a job cut out for me.

Still, I re-did a cosmolene-covered Garand's wood, and IT wound up very nice, and I can always replace the buttstock, or might parkerize the whole gun - I have another I did that to and it is a nice finish, although a bit odd looking for a levergun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
clayman
Levergunner

Post by clayman »

a quick hello to all! here are a couple pics of my 336 w/ ramline stocks.

I discovered the original forend to be cracked just prior to a hunt last year and ordered the ramline set as a quick replacement. I like the results and will probably keep it this way for a while.

Installation was easy, I spent maybe 30 minutes fitting the stocks and cleaning up the edges, all with a small flat file. The finish is Rust-o-leum textured finish spray paint, which has proven very durable. I filled the hollow buttstock with expanding foam sealer, only so it didn't sound hollow when you thumped it.

I haven't hunted yet with the scout scope, that was this year's improvement.

best regards to all

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Clayman, good job on the Ramline stock. I've used Krylon Fusion on a plastic stock with good results. What scout scope do you have on that rifle. I've been playing with the idea of setting up my 1894c with one, but would like to try it out first before I buy anything.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

RamTac

Post by Idiot »

Thanks for the photos Clayman. Now you've got me thinking Ramline again. That sure is a pretty rifle.
clayman
Levergunner

Post by clayman »

thanks gents!

nemhed: that's a Leupold 2.5x scout