Lookee At This Winchester factory Letter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Lookee At This Winchester factory Letter

Post by Sixgun »

A while ago I posted this 1866 Winchester that belongs to a buddy of mine. As it was full nickel plated I told him a factory letter would need to verify this if he wanted to move it and make the big bucks. I did the work for hm and I just got it today. I was not surprised because I know an original gun when I see one and I know the history behind it. My buddies great grandfather won it at an Iowa fair around the turn of the century and it has been in the family since. Caliber is .44 rimfire--a 200 grain bullet moving about 1050-1100. Nobody in the family now or before can remember it ever being fired.

The letter states "nickel" :D but what really grabbed me was the date it was received in the warehouse and the date it was shipped---------15 years inbetween :shock: Must have been found in a dark corner or maybe the 1873 put a real hurtin' on 1866 sales. Lots of imagination car run wild here. Ahhhh---It was 10 years since the introduction of the 1873 and sales for the 1866 were poor, especially for nickel plated rifles so......some manager tells his workers to "put it in the back, behind the spinning wheels"...where it sat for 15 years until a drunken worker in 1898 looking for a place to sleep it off, buries himself behind the spinning wheels. He starts gagging from the dust, then pukes. He then takes a leak and while looking down, shaking his unit, he see's a glimmer of shine. Thinking, "hey, I need some bucks to buy more liquor and no one will notice this gone." He gets caught and is taken out back where he is shot. Lawyers for the family demand restitution from Winchester, so Winchester gives them the rifle and the family sells it to the State of Iowa where they raffle it off at the state fair. :D --------------Sixgun

Thats one thing about the East, rare stuff is continuing to be found and the owners don't know what they have.

This would easily buy a nice new car, jeep or pick-up truck. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

1894c

Re: Lookee At This Winchester factory Letter

Post by 1894c »

very coool history...nice story...nice levergun too...what do you mean by the term "UNIT" and why does this soon to be executed employee need to shake it, especially since it is leaking... :)
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sixgun that gun is one of a kind, Just like you :lol:

ollogger
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Far and away the coolest thing I've seen/heard in a while.

Eric
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Jack, you are a first class BSer. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wayyy Cooool Dude!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Totally awesome
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, I bought that '66. My bud say's that beings we are old friends, I can have it....have it........free. The only thing he asked me to do was load him a box of 38 Specials with Bullseye and 148 gr. wadcutters.
Yea, I know....I be 'da man!! :D

Then I woke up-------the BS continues. :D

Its really a shame (this is true) as this guy wants to sell it. He inherited it from his dad and I guess it don't mean nothing to him. He already has a kiss-azz job making about a 100 g's a year but............he is young, maybe 42 or so, and this young group just wants the money to pee away on cars and vacations. I tried to explain to him that if he waits until he is about 60 or so, he might be able to double his money from what he can sell it for now.

Nope, generation x'ers WANT the money NOW. The gun will probably wind up at Rock Island or Julia auctions for their fall auctions.----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Beautiful story Sixgun... especially the part about the employee getting shot. Brings a tear to my eye! :wink: :lol:
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Sixgun wrote:
Its really a shame (this is true) as this guy wants to sell it. He inherited it from his dad and I guess it don't mean nothing to him. He already has a kiss-azz job making about a 100 g's a year but............he is young, maybe 42 or so, and this young group just wants the money to pee away on cars and vacations. I tried to explain to him that if he waits until he is about 60 or so, he might be able to double his money from what he can sell it for now.

Nope, generation x'ers WANT the money NOW. The gun will probably wind up at Rock Island or Julia auctions for their fall auctions.----------------Sixgun
I can't fathom selling ANY of the guns I inherited from my Pops.....Regardless of their value at auction.

besides.............................

He told me while he was still alive that his soul would haunt me for eternity if I did. :shock:

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

336bl wrote:very coool history...nice story...nice levergun too...what do you mean by the term "UNIT" and why does this soon to be executed employee need to shake it, especially since it is leaking... :)
As a DI made some young fellas, I once knew, repeat time after time:

"This is my rifle, This is my gun (unit)
This is for fighting, This is for fun".

. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Now that is a cool looking '66.

I will buy one, one day
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...