Salvaging an old barn.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TDF
Levergunner

Salvaging an old barn.

Post by TDF »

Here's a little project I took on a couple of winters ago, that I thought you all might enjoy.

The project started in January of 2011 and the last photos are from June of 2011. Here's the original barn. It sit's about 100 yards from the house I rent. Mortise and tenon construction. Lots of 6x6 and 6x8 beams in there. Measures about 32' x 50'. All southern yellow pine. Built in 1892. Landlord was gonna knock it down and burn it cause the roof had rotted out and he doesn't have the kind of money it takes to save buildings that have little or no use to him. I asked if I could gut it for whatever I could get and he agreed.

Shot of the interior as I was pulling out the loft supports. That's Mr. Marbles the Boxer mutt supervising.

Shot of the little brother helping cut out the hay loft floor. I'd been using a reciprocating saw up to that point. He sacrificed a garage sale chainsaw for the cause. It definitely was faster but hard on the saw.

Loft floor out.

Queens trusses removed. They built these old barns pretty stout she still wasn't showing any signs of sagging even with all the supports removed.

Here's where a portion of the salvaged wood went. Started building a loft in my brother's garage. We built it full width of the garage, 24 feet, and 13+ feet deep. The back 10 feet will be a storage area for motorcycles, and the front 3+ feet will be a display area. That center support post (the one painted white and green) is at 10 feet from the back wall.

Elevator was built from a salvaged electric forklift. Rigged an electric motor to run the pump. It was rated for 3500 lbs on the forklift. Don't think we'll ever get that much weight on it at one time. We control the valves with a cable system, you ride the platform up with the bike.

Little brother's Ural up on the loft.

Back to the barn. Started pulling out the support posts with the 5 ton 6x6 in the background. The barn even in it's stripped out state put up a heck of a fight. Broke one chain a D-ring and 5 seperate 3/8's inch cables that day before we got it on the ground.

After it was on the ground I attacked it over two weekends, and stripped out every piece of usable wood. Got a heck of a pile of it in a shed at my other brothers farm, saving it for future projects. Anyways back to the loft.

Built the wall to seperate the storage area from the display area with a door in between.

Elevator and floor painted up.

Inside of storage area. As you can see the height of the truss makes it kinda difficult to get bikes into the diplay area, but it can be done with a little finesse.

And here's the completed loft, with a few barn bike finds, and some trinkets we found on the farm and in the barn in the display area.

Hope ya'all enjoyed the show.

TDF
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Salvaging an old barn.

Post by BenT »

Nice job. It just goes to show you how tuff barns are. They always seem to keep standing alot longer than people think they should.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

the wood is worth a fortune....
take it apart carefully....pull the nails and sell it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I have the same project to do or have done with my great grandfather's barn and house. It's sad to see what I remember for many years as a good barn and house. No indoor plumbing in the house, never was.

Mortise and tenon. Yep, same as our barn and they are known to be tough to pull down. Medium sized bulldozer is the quick way but saves money to do it yourself. Beams in our barn are white oak and really tough to drive nails in to. Oil on the nail helps but spit when no oil around.

I think when you try to find a buyer for those old beams you'll find they are not worth what you might have thought--even the hand hewen ones.

Pulled what was left standing of the old corn crib down when I was last home.

Reminds me of: "Time waits for no man." Buildings get old and "die" just like people. Comes a time when they cost too much to fix'em back-up again. And, they prevent the soil they're standing on from raising crops.

Nice pictures. Looks like you're not afraid of work.

I see several basketball backboards and goals hanging in the barn.

Don
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Very cool what you guys have done... Love to see old things re purposed... Very clever with the forklift & loft... Certain remodelers & designers would practically die tryin' to obtain that faded red barn siding..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
TDF
Levergunner

Post by TDF »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Certain remodelers & designers would practically die tryin' to obtain that faded red barn siding..
I think that depends a little on where you're located. Out here in the middle of the country, the barns are at an age where they're getting torn down faster than people can use up the wood. I looked on the internet to see what the pricing was on some of this stuff and the beams are $10ish a foot and 1x12 red boards run $2 a foot or so. Yet I put a thousand feet of the red boards up for sale for $0.50 a foot and couldn't get any takers. And I've seen the beams bring pennies per foot on farm sales in these parts. If I'd haul it out east I'm sure it would sell quickly. It's supply and demand and right now in Nebraska anyways, supply exceeds demand. I gave a thousand feet of the red boards away to a coworker who's got some health problems, but likes to make clocks, picture frames etc. out of it. Figured it would keep him busy for a while. The rest of it and all of the beams and 2x8's and other lumber are stashed in a building on my other brother's farm. Someday I'll buy a place of my own and I'd like to build another loft like this one for myself.

TDF
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Shame to see a perfectly good barn torn down for lack of a roof. Glad you managed to salvage some of the wood.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I dismantled a barn for some folks down the road back in 2005, board by board, for pay and materials. They wanted it gone. Brought home enough barn siding to do the whole basement and had plenty to sell. The structure was mostly old growth oak. I finnish detailed the cabin with that. The foundation stones are my front steps. I estimate I save $10,000 by not having to buy those materials. I had a five gallon bucket of nails and spikes when it was over.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

TDF wrote:
Ben_Rumson wrote:Certain remodelers & designers would practically die tryin' to obtain that faded red barn siding..
I think that depends a little on where you're located. Out here in the middle of the country, the barns are at an age where they're getting torn down faster than people can use up the wood. I looked on the internet to see what the pricing was on some of this stuff and the beams are $10ish a foot and 1x12 red boards run $2 a foot or so. Yet I put a thousand feet of the red boards up for sale for $0.50 a foot and couldn't get any takers. And I've seen the beams bring pennies per foot on farm sales in these parts. If I'd haul it out east I'm sure it would sell quickly. It's supply and demand and right now in Nebraska anyways, supply exceeds demand. I gave a thousand feet of the red boards away to a coworker who's got some health problems, but likes to make clocks, picture frames etc. out of it. Figured it would keep him busy for a while. The rest of it and all of the beams and 2x8's and other lumber are stashed in a building on my other brother's farm. Someday I'll buy a place of my own and I'd like to build another loft like this one for myself.

TDF
I agree. the city slickers might eat that stuff up, but it would be a slow sale around my area.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

JB wrote:
TDF wrote:

TDF
I agree. the city slickers might eat that stuff up, but it would be a slow sale around my area.
NY and OR seem to be buying
http://pioneermillworks.com/connect/sell-us-your-wood
Phil
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Yeah yeah...nice barn and all...

Can you give us the run-down on those bikes? I've been eyeballing one of the new Urals with the sidecar as an off-road hunting machine.

Is that middle one a Hodaka? Or is it a Husky? The one one to the right looks like an old Honda... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Cool old bikes. I had a 1969 Suzuki T305 that had those rubber knee pads. Very, very cool. 8)
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
TDF
Levergunner

Post by TDF »

stew71 wrote:Yeah yeah...nice barn and all...

Can you give us the run-down on those bikes? I've been eyeballing one of the new Urals with the sidecar as an off-road hunting machine.

Is that middle one a Hodaka? Or is it a Husky? The one one to the right looks like an old Honda... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Well if you haven't noticed yet, motorcycle are a bit of a passion in the family right now. The loft was built with the sole purpose of additional motorcycle storage/display. Currently there are 76 motorcycle (between half to two thirds runners the rest parts bikes) between myself, two brother's and my Dad. With the worst offender being the brother whose garage I built the loft in. Those are just a few of his bikes in the photos, he's currently North of thirty bikes.

In this photo the three bikes visible are the Ural up on the loft, his Triumph T595 Daytona on the floor and the bike behind it is a 71 BSA Thunderbolt getting turned into a vintage racer.

In the photo across the loft from left to right are a Honda Benley 150, a Hodaka combat wombat 125, and a CZ Jawa 175. The orange bike on the floor is another Hodaka Wombat 125 (the non combat version).

There are currently two Ural's in the family right now. Little brother's 2000 Solo in the photo's and Dad's got a slightly older one with a earls front end and a non ural side car on it. Both have been quite reliable. I've heard a lot of reliability griping about Ural's on the internet, but we haven't yet experienced any of it. The driven Ural sidecar is the way to go if you're gonna be doing any offroading with it. There used to be a bunch of videos on Ural's website of them taking them through places a jeep would have to work at to get through Pretty impressive stuff.

TDF