Hevi-shot and shotgun question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Hevi-shot and shotgun question

Post by FLINT »

Hey guys,

sorry this isn't about leverguns.

I went spring gobbler hunting for the first time this past friday and was somehow successful - shot what is either a small tom or a jake, not sure - I saw a beard and figured that was good enough for me.

I was using my 10ga single barrel - its a Stevens 7894, and I think this 10 gauge version was actually called the Big Tom. It was made in the late 70s or early 80s.

I didn't have any ammo prior to season this year so I picked up a box of Hevi 13 #5s - they have I think 2 3/8 oz of shot!! and man, it dropped that turkey fast - range was probably 40-50 yards.

anyways I didn't think anything about it today until I happened to get curious about what that hevi-shot was made from and so looked it up and read that the tungsten/iron or tungsten/iron/nickle shot used in these may actually be harder than steel. and so I got to wondering whether I should keep shooting this hevi-shot in this gun - since its a little older and because it definitely has a fixed FULL choke.

since you like pictures, attached is a picture - you can't see the tail feathers because they are folded back behind the bird. how do you like my high tech camo?
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Hevi-shot and shotgun question

Post by FLINT »

hmm, I don't see my picture

i'll try again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

On of the most famous turkey hunters in south Florida was a guy named Tom Gaskins. A few years ago you could buy his calls from Cabelas. He always wore plaid when turkey hunting.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I don't think it would cause any damage. I have an old Win 1400 that my grand dad ran steel shot through for years and it is still tight as ever. You probably won't be firing many through that beast any way.

Congrats on your bird!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

You probably wouldn't shoot it enough if just for turkeys to worry about scarring the barrel, but the FULL CHOKE would be an issue. Could potential split or bulge that barrel. Probably using smaller size shot, which is why it may not have caused any problem yet.

I would suggest Federal's Heavy weight #7 shot. That is a swarm of shot moving at 1300fps, and it does a number on turkeys.

Or just use old fashioned lead.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Congrats on your Thunder Chicken.....
I came close a couple times....but my permit was only for 3 days...

Cant seem to find anything on the turkey loads, but I did read this at their site..

HEVI-Shot® Duck and Goose; HEVI-Steel®; Dead Coyote®; and HEVI-13® are safe to use in all steel rated shotguns using steel rated accessories. For those older guns we recommend using our Classic Double’s line of shells.

I just use Remington Nitro Turkey loads.#5s..pretty cheap and they will do the job out to
35 to 40 yards....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks guys,

I'm going to switch to lead just to be safe. the bummer is that I also bought a box of hevi-shot dead coyote 00B for deer this fall.

I bought this stuff because of the excellent reviews - and never thought it would be as hard/harder than steel.

Does anyone want to buy some 10 ga hevi shot shells? haha.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Look at it this way, now you have a reason to go buy a shotgun that has screw in chokes. I don't know what kind of selection there is for 10 gauge guns , but I have a 12 Gauge 870 that I put in one of the chokes tailored just for those loads. It is the tightest shooting shotgun that I have ever seen. I ended up putting a set of adjustable sights on it to take advantage of the super tight pattern. I just wish that I could get back in the turkey woods to put it to use.

Kevin
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

FLINT wrote:hmm, I don't see my picture

i'll try again
Was that in Rockingham?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Mac,

I actually did think of that, haha, but I'd have a hard time justifying another 10ga!!

Hobie, No, I got that turkey on my parents property in cumberland county. they have SO many turkeys in cumberland

In 10 years up here in rockingham I think i've seen maybe a dozen turkeys total.

I saw over a dozen turkeys on one deer hunt this past fall in cumberland.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

you could send the gun to Carlson's in Kansas, he would put choke tubes in it for you.
I haven't checked his prices lately but I would guess around $150 or so. Might be worth more than the gun, bought an old H&R Long Tom 10ga for 90 bucks about 20 years ago.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Go get yourself a new H&R and everything will be just fine. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Rusty wrote:Go get yourself a new H&R and everything will be just fine. :D

You know I looked that up and it actually looks really good - all camo - and with a screw in extra full choke, so that should be changeable. looks like buds guns last sold it for about $250. not bad.