5.7x28??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

5.7x28??

Post by rjohns94 »

Specifically in the fN platforms, ps90 and semi auto pistol. Your thoughts? 50 round mags in the ps90, 20 in the pistol. Low to no recoil. Compact , lightweight, accurate. Right ammo defeats body armor. Ambi controls. Reliable function. Pistol/rifle in same caliber. Fantasy? Fad? Fubar? Let's hear ur thoughts.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 5.7x28??

Post by Mescalero »

Expensive, but I like the concept.
The platform does not blow my skirt up.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

A SWAT team in Texas, of whom I knew one of the members, shot a bad guy who needed shooting.

Real military-grade 5.7, not the civvy stuff, in real full auto P90's.

After somewhere around 8-12 rounds (2-3 engaged with a burst each COM), reportedly he said stop shooting me, it hurts.

Later expired, but the rounds did not STOP him. The pain did. He died en route to the hospital.

They shot 3-4 people in various circumstances, and transitioned back to M-4 carbines with softpoint ammo, which tended to fix the problem with 1-2 rounds fired.

Several guys I know who have shot people with the 5.7mm or the HK 4.6mm spoonpoint round (both which work similarly) said the major issue is they're intended to fill an M1 carbine type role, and are not terribly lethal. Instead of delivering 1-3 solid rapid hits with a 5.56mm and terminating the threat, the shooter ends up 'sprinkling' the bad guy with 10-20 rounds on semi or auto center mass till they finally go down. I'll stick to 9mm, .45 and 5.56mm.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

not impressed...expensive...and not needed... :)
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Short of plinking I have no use for it and I would not use it for personal defense. I wish Kahr would offer their M1 Carbine in the chambering, it might give me a reason to want something in it.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oly,
thats an idea.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There was a .22 on the .30 Carbine case for the M1.

I think the 5.7x28 is a modern military boondogle. The FMJ AP military stuff isn't all that effective but the stuff that's legal for civilian use here in the US expands and was lethal when used by jihadist Hassan at FT Hood. I don't particularly care for the plastic fantastics (see OS's topic on us and the old stuff) and so I don't and won't own one but if it was all I had...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd rather have a Calico 9mm with 100 round magazine (works in pistol or carbine), or the .22 Mag Kel-Tec 30-round pistol...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I ran one through a couple IDPA courses not long ago. Really liked the performance. No recoil and was really quick to put on target.
That 50 round mag just goes forever. I wouldn't trade my AR or M1A for one but I'd still like to have one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

kewl input. I was just watching TOPSHOT and they used one of the rifles in a match. I'm not impressed with the down range ballistics or energy. I'm keeping the 5.56/.223 platform, and the .308 one too :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hobie,
5.7MM Johnson.
I have one.
Fun gun.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MrMurphy wrote:A SWAT team in Texas, of whom I knew one of the members, shot a bad guy who needed shooting.

Real military-grade 5.7, not the civvy stuff, in real full auto P90's.

After somewhere around 8-12 rounds (2-3 engaged with a burst each COM), reportedly he said stop shooting me, it hurts.

Later expired, but the rounds did not STOP him. The pain did. He died en route to the hospital.

They shot 3-4 people in various circumstances, and transitioned back to M-4 carbines with softpoint ammo, which tended to fix the problem with 1-2 rounds fired.

Several guys I know who have shot people with the 5.7mm or the HK 4.6mm spoonpoint round (both which work similarly) said the major issue is they're intended to fill an M1 carbine type role, and are not terribly lethal. Instead of delivering 1-3 solid rapid hits with a 5.56mm and terminating the threat, the shooter ends up 'sprinkling' the bad guy with 10-20 rounds on semi or auto center mass till they finally go down. I'll stick to 9mm, .45 and 5.56mm.
Sounds like a P30 in .22 Mag is a cheaper, equivalent alternative...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

dupe post
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I took one of the FN 5.7x28's in a trade for a Para Ordnance 1911 I had . In all ways it was a good deal for me ! The FN with the 200 rounds of ammo was worth a bit more then I had in the Para and I sold the FN quickly on GB for more then I thought it was worth in about a week !

All in all the little 5.7x28 made me an extra $200 dollars over what I would have taken for the Para 1911 .

I had fired the little FN when the guy I got it from first got it . WHile it is okay I wasn't over joyed with it either .

I've always thought that cartridge would be great in something like a CZ527 bolt action .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mescalero wrote:Hobie,
5.7MM Johnson.
I have one.
Fun gun.
Thanks, couldn't remember the name as I was typing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

How can you say it is not all that effective. Gee Whiz, Hollyweird loves the Long Gun version. Have you never watched Star Gate Command,on TV, they shot up a bunch of bad guys in all sorts of armor and shot down flying saucers to boot. Had to say it just for the heck of it. ATB
1badf350
Levergunner

Post by 1badf350 »

I have a PS-90. It is not for home defense and outside of 100 yards wont kill a squirrel. That said, it is fun as all heck to shoot. No recoil, and report is like a .22mag. Overall its just plain fun! 8)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

You can take the light and fast concept too far. Perhaps this sums up the 5.7x28.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

For the original concept in 1990, which was rear area defense against Spetsnaz teams operating behind the lines to take out headquarters units, etc, while wearing body armor.

For that role, an ambi, flat, 'out of the way' weapon with a large capacity that could penetrate body armor had a role.

People try to put it in a role it's not intended for.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

MrMurphy wrote:For the original concept in 1990, which was rear area defense against Spetsnaz teams operating behind the lines to take out headquarters units, etc, while wearing body armor.

For that role, an ambi, flat, 'out of the way' weapon with a large capacity that could penetrate body armor had a role.

People try to put it in a role it's not intended for.
NATO was set to adopt the FN 5.7 weapons and cartridge, but the German member(s) of the committee voted it down because they wanted their cartridge adopted, even though they didn't have a serviceable weapon yet.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

I love the five seven FN pistol and want one but It's a $500 pistol that costs $1100 to $1200. That's the price of a nice 1911 ( A real gun) ...
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:kewl input. I was just watching TOPSHOT and they used one of the rifles in a match. I'm not impressed with the down range ballistics or energy. I'm keeping the 5.56/.223 platform, and the .308 one too :wink:
They used an FN pistol as well, and this was part of the "call out" challenge (shooting game of horse). I think the P90 looks like a cool concept for a PDW - wish it was in another caliber though.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

MrMurphy nailed it. American Rifleman Television did a little something on the guns and rounds for it a few months back. It really seemed that the gun was built specifically around the armor piercing ammo, made solely for defeating bad guys in close quarters who were wearing body armor.

Outside of fulfilling that role, I don't know if I'd buy one, especially since us meager civilians can't buy the ammo the gun was designed for.

Now, I have fired Kel-Tec's pistol (what do they call it again?) set up for 30 round mags of .22 Magnum Rimfire. The one I shot was not a shooter, accuracy wise, but I've heard that some of them can group fairly well. If you bring a pistol like that to shoot with some friends, you better bring at least 250 rounds or you won't last an hour ! :o Fun though. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Cramming 30 rouns into a magazine would give you a sore thumb.