Rossi 92 in .357 will not feed XTPs?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi 92 in .357 will not feed XTPs?

Post by Bob Hatfield »

I picked up Rossi 32 in .357 magnum recently and it will not feed the Hornady XTP or any 357 round for that matter. It is an older Interarms Rossi. The round hits the top of the chamber before it rises in the rear enough to slide in. This looked like a problem for the earlier owner as it looks like they did some polishing of the guides. I took them out and studied them. For the life of me it looks like the cartridge is trying to enter the chamber too steep. If I jiggle the lever some it will eventually feed. 38's will feed as the rear of the cartridge is rising up ok enough to feed. Will the guides from a newer Rossi work? These look like they have been modified/polished out the ying yang.

Bob
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Rossi 92 in .357 will not feed XTPs?

Post by Panzercat »

Bob Hatfield wrote:I picked up Rossi 32 in .357 magnum recently and it will not feed the Hornady XTP or any 357 round for that matter. It is an older Interarms Rossi. The round hits the top of the chamber before it rises in the rear enough to slide in. This looked like a problem for the earlier owner as it looks like they did some polishing of the guides. I took them out and studied them. For the life of me it looks like the cartridge is trying to enter the chamber too steep. If I jiggle the lever some it will eventually feed. 38's will feed as the rear of the cartridge is rising up ok enough to feed. Will the guides from a newer Rossi work? These look like they have been modified/polished out the ying yang.

Bob
Sounds remarkably like the issue I encountered in my Rossi .454-- The round would nose too sharply into the chamber and literally jam as it was pushed forward. I suspect it was a combination of less than stellar QC and the geometry of the bullet; this particular one was a flat nose .45lc type.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Polished guides? ...I suspect it's been tuned to feed .38Spls reliably. Given the physical differences between the cartridges lengths, its expecting a lot that it could feed one as well as the other. However, with proper massaging, it is possible.

Nate Kiowa Jones (aka: Steve of Steve's Guns), is pretty much THE acknowledged expert on the Rossi 1892. I'd sugggest that you contact him about possible solutions. I have two of 'em... both will feed .38s and .357s. Both are the older Interarms imports from Rossi.
Last edited by Griff on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Nate's you go to guy for Rossis. Both my newer ones feed 357s just fine so he'll be able to get you setup.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

One of mine did the same thing. I cut and polished a tiny ramp on the lower leading edge of the chamber mouth and it fed everything perfectly. Go Dremel go.

Nate is the go to guy. I'm a hack.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I've never had that problem with .357s in my Interarms Rossi 92 except when I bought some remanufactured 357 and LSWC. But you are right, it's like the bullet couldn't get the rim to the slot to rise up.

I usually reload my .357 to 1.58 or 1.59 instead of 1.60 for that reason.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have an Interarms Rossi 92 .357 carbine. I have not had any trouble with .38 special rounds or .357 rounds. I load round nose, swc, and the XTP bullets all feed fine. Better get hold of Steve, give him a call and you might want to order his tune up kit and DVD. I did and my rifle is slick.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Another thing to check is that the screws on the receiver are snug (not tight).

On mine, the guide screws can loosen up and that makes cycling problematic.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Left cartrige guide is not seated correctly. The swivel pin is not in the correct position allowing it to seat correctly, thus it is out too far. If that happens nothing will feed.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Thanks everyone for the comments. Looks like I will need a call to Nate. Ive had both cartridge guides and the lifter out. It looks like if the lifter had a shelf at the back of it to slightly lift the rear of the cartridge it would feed fine. I need to look at a buddies .357 Rossi and see if my lifter has been modified.

On the left guide issue. I noticed that it can be put in wrong causing the cartridge interupptor to not operate but for the life of me cant figure out how this would not allow a single round on the lifter not to feed.

Once again Gracias

Bob