lee factory crimp die

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

lee factory crimp die

Post by chadbr »

I am *sold*.

Reloaded my first set of 25-20's yesterday and had my first opportunity to use a FCD.

The crimps are just perfect.

I'm thinking of getting an FDC every caliber I load.

Am I looking through rose colored glasses or are these that much better than a standard crimp die?

Chad
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: lee factory crimp die

Post by Cliff »

I use them and they are pretty user friendly. I think Lee has a good product here. Rather hard to mess up with their crimp die. ATB
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I like the LFCD i have 4, its a good tool
but for now ill stick my money in powder & primers
i get along with the standard die ok

ollogger
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have four of them also. I'm not impressed. They don't do anything a properly adjusted seating die crimper wont do.
I consider the money I spent on them to be research expenses. I'll probably never buy another.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have 8 or 10 at this time.
I like to seat bullets and crimp as separate steps and buying the FCD just saves me from having to re adjust my seating die all the time. I just lock my seating die ring so it don`t touch the crimp step and go from there. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The "real" FCD (see below) is one I'm fond of, and it is offered by LeePrecision.com in most "rifle" cartridges.

The "fake" FCD (see below) they sell for "pistol" cartridges doesn't have the septated fingers that are squeezed by the die, instead having a 'floating' carbide ring that certainly crimps the case, but more akin to a regular 'roll' crimp. Personally, I don't care for them.

Lee WILL make you a "real" FCD for about any cartridge for $30 - http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Custom-Services.html.

I'd been going to get around to having ones made for .45 Colt and .357 Mag for awhile, and had figured out how to use a .44-40 (Lee considers that a "rifle" cartridge) FCD die for .44 Mag.

RanchDog Molds now has some "real" ('Rifle' type) Lee FCD's for those calibers - AND .41 Mag, and .308 Marlin Express, & .338 Marlin Express, actually. Evidently he was smart enough to get around to it faster than me, and ordered a bunch (he's selling them for only $20 apiece, and hopefully making at least a bit of profit on them).

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.p ... Path=53_54

"Rifle" type FCD :D - Image - "Pistol" type FCD :| - Image
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

I started out with a Lee FCD for the 32-20. I have several other calibers now. I too, prefer to seat and crimp in separate steps. I ordered one of RanchDog's FCDs. I haven't got around to using it yet.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I have 5 of them.They all perform very well.I like them because you don't have to adjust the seating die all of the time.I prefer to seat and crimp in 2 operations.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have several LFCD's. They are most useful when you have different Mfg. cases in a batch. Example; My batch of 45 colt case's are of a mixed lot of various Mfg's and case lengths.
Because of the various lengths I can get the same crimp tension on all cases. Not so if I roll crimp.

Also useful when I load my competition 44-40 loads. I use a double crimp with the Unique powder & 250 gr. SWC.. I roll crimp first, then follow-up with the LFCD. I do this with only the heavy bullets, and ranges 100 yds - 300 yds. For loads 100 yards and closer I use a 205 RNFP and roll crimp only.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I typically prefer RCBS, Hornady, and Lyman dies in that order but I really do like the Lee FCD and have one for each caliber that I load, if available. Lee's case trimmers are great too. I sold my RCBS and my Lyman trimmers because I like the Lee style so well.

Their dies are certainly functional but usually only purchased when I can't find the one I really want.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have several and really like them, especially for the "dash" calibers. A big +1 on the Lee trimmers too. I put one end in the drill press and it speeds up trimming.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I like mine too!...good product!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Lee dies for rifle (collet type), excellent. Lee dies for pistol (carbide sizer ring), a solution for a problem best addressed elsewhere...

Yep, tried both.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...