Found out what we own....finally!!!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Found out what we own....finally!!!!!!

Post by DarryH »

My apologies for a somewhat long story.........
My wife took care of an elderly couple in their home.
He was a retired Lt. Cornel in the US Air Force, and had quite the stories to tell.
He flew every US combat aircraft made from WWII through Vietnam.
His wife was from an old Kentuky family, who were priviledged, and had servants and such.
Married for many years, they liked to collect antiques after his retirement from the Air Force.
(he always said the only thing he ever did wrong..was to retire from the Air Force)

Anyway.....they had this very unusual earthenware item, holding a door open.
It is very unusual looking to say the least.
They told my wife the story behind it.
Lets start in the 1920's...............
The wife's Dad (she was a little gal in the 1920's) had been sent to town with a little cash to pick up something from a store. There was a raffle going on, and he puts this cash into a raffle ticket. He wins the top prize.....this eathenware vessel. He catches holy heck when he gets home for wasting the money. As far as is known, they never did know what made this item so valuable back then. Of course, even though it was reviled by the real head of the house, the item was kept around. It did suffer some chips as the kids banged it around a bit.
The couple passed away within 6 months of each other....and yes, the second was from a broken heart.
Their daughter, who had gotten to know my wife, had an estate sale by opening the house, with everything priced, and selling it all.
With very little left, and no interest in the eathenware item, the daughter offered it to my wife, for free. Then it sits around our house for 5 to 6 years.
A professional appraiser came to out local home show, so we took this item with us.
This person liked our item, and knew what it was.
Of all things, this was a Kentucky, hand made, earthenware vessel, for holding moonshine!!
It was made right about 1880.....and it was appraised for $3000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO...she did not try to buy it, and she does not buy or sell any items. She works for museums, and TV shows like Auction Kings.
Now.......anybody know where I can sell an empty whiskey jug????
The house needs painting!!!!!!!!
If anyone wants to see my pics....I don't care that you don't want to buy it....
I need your e-mail to send the pics.
Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Found out what we own....finally!!!!!!

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, if all else fails, maybe the contemporary equivalent use would be to find some pot smoker who wants a place to keep his stash... :o
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Re: Found out what we own....finally!!!!!!

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 wrote:Well, if all else fails, maybe the contemporary equivalent use would be to find some pot smoker who wants a place to keep his stash... :o
I was thinking something similar...maybe fillig said whiskey jug with moonshine would make it sell quicker...
On a serious note--put it on ebay--people are always looking for those items... :)