What is safe for nickel guns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

What is safe for nickel guns?

Post by Old Savage »

We discussed this a little while back from the point of view of what will harm nickel but - What is safe for nickel, specifically S&W nickel plating?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What is safe for nickel guns?

Post by Pete44ru »

Since there's copper plating under the nickel, any cleaner containing copper solvent would be contra-indicated ;).

I've used CLP w/o any ill effects.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks Pete - Indianagirl sent her flaking nickel cylinder from her Model 13 back to S&W and they replated it for $80. She is very pleased with the way it turned out. I see they do electrolyic and electroless nickel and I do not know which is which here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ed's Red (Brownell's)
Can say it cleans a nickel plated 8" S&W 29 very fine!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:Since there's copper plating under the nickel, any cleaner containing copper solvent would be contra-indicated ;).

I've used CLP w/o any ill effects.

CLP is also my lube/cleaner of choice.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

OS, if you're looking for something that will cut the carbon and NOT damage the plating at all. M Pro 7 Cleaner is a dandy. It will not even begin to do a thing to the plating, but will pull carbon off like it was nothing. Really good stuff too to take the rings off the cylinder face too. I had some kinda black carbon rings on my 629, but a couple of sessions of cleaning with this stuff got it all off! Cleaner than it was when it was new in the box. And it has no smell! Never seen anything like it. Now as far as taking copper outta the bore? It will get light copper and most lead. Kinda lifts the stuff after sitting a few minutes. But it will not effect any plating, or finish I know of. I use this, and their LPX lube/cleaner, quite a bit. And I've tried lots stuff since 1958 when I cleaned my first weapon (with my oldman watching my every move!) :D

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!