Forgive me, not lever gun...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Forgive me, not lever gun...

Post by mikld »

Yesterday I went to a Grand Opening of a new Bi-Mart in town to pick up a 10-22 that was on sale (I traded mine off a few years ago and needed another). They were out of 10-22s and offered no rainchecks, guns were gone in 2 days and their "quota" of rainchecks were given out on day 3, so I picked up a Savage 93R17 in .17 HMR. I've held off on .17 rimfire guns because of ammo costs and limitations (only 2 or 3 manufacturers as far as I know, and 2 bullet weights) and I reload and can make my .223 Rem. do just about anything a 17 HMR can do but cheaper. Anyway, my research shows a highly accurate cartridge/rifle with the ability to shoot (sub) 1/2" groups @ 100 yds. out of the box. I haven't heard much of Leverguns.com opinions on the .17 HMR, and wondering what the "lever gun/old cartridge crowd" has to say about this new fangled rimfire...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Forgive me, not lever gun...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not shot much for accuracy yet, mostly shot a Kel-Tec PMR-30, but have recently rebarreled a Ruger levergun from .22 WMR to .17 HMR (beauty of the 'rebarreling' the Ruger 96 levergun is it took all of five minutes and an allen wrench). Hope to shoot off the bench this summer.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

mikld wrote:Anyway, my research shows a highly accurate cartridge/rifle with the ability to shoot (sub) 1/2" groups @ 100 yds. out of the box.
That's with zero wind and the right rifle. I've fired five different Savage HMR's off the bench and haven't found a consistent 1/2" rifle yet. I think it's a great cartridge for close range small varmints and pests. I prefer the 22 WMR for coyote sized varmints.

I wouldn't worry about ammo, 17 HMR is being sold under the Winchester, Remington, CCI, Hornady, and Federal names, so you shouldn't have trouble finding any!
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Won my Savage in a drawing, put $200 scope and bipod on it and it's the one everybody wants to shoot on range day, especially the new shooters!
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I shoot a stainless Marlin 917 bull barrel with a Nikon 3-9 Buckmaster. It is the most accurate gun I have up to 200 yds. My second is a Weatherby Mark XXII up to 100 yds.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.