470 Turnbull

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

470 Turnbull

Post by Marlin32 »

Anyone have a 470 Turnbull?? Still kicking around ideas. Haven't found one yet that doesn't do much more than my 338ME. If they made bullets in 210 Nosler Partition, or 220 Fusion maybe something along those lines I would probably just quit thinking

The 470 looks like a lot of punch out to 150yds, and further. But not sold on it either.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 470 Turnbull

Post by BigSky56 »

Marlin check out the Norma bullets in 338 they make a 230 gr bonded bullet called the oryx its a semi RN get a lee FCD to crimp it should work for you. Speer makes a 225 & 250 in the grand slam thats got a blunt point and theres a gun writer that uses them in a 30-30 tube fed. danny
http://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Compone ... orma-Oryx/
http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics ... spx?id=114
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I don't load Metallic cartridges, yet,
I am not sure if many 338 bullets will work in the ME. Too long.
If or when I do, I am thinking of conversing with Hawk bullets.
There is some info too on the Marlinowners site, I have not heard of many trying much although I think someone found the Woodleigh bullets (used in 33 WCF?)

I have expoused before, not a big fan of the gummy tip bullet by Hornady. Its performance in animals has not yet sold me. Yet the ME's real performance comes from that bullet, other wise it is just a bit better than the 33 WCF.

I am splitting hairs probably, the 250gr Remingtons did my moose in at 267 yards. So I guess I should just stop over thinking. But am a bit picky, like things the way I like them. I think a 220 grain bullet to split the difference would be the ticket on Elk/moose/Caribou .
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Marlin you might try Buffalo Arms they make the discontinued hornady 200 gr 338 bullet. I use the 200 gr 348 hdy and have had 100% success on elk with it, punched a raghorn elk with 30+" penetration and the bullet weighted 186gr when its work was done . danny
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx? ... 9&CAT=4142

Your right about the FTX bullets that bullet might work for deer but it has a dismal record against elk and moose around here. its a shame that hdy doesnt toughen the jacket or just put a soft tip on a interlock bullet.
jtaylor1960
Levergunner

Post by jtaylor1960 »

I have some of the Buffalo Arms bullets but haven't got to shoot them yet.Woodleigh makes a 200gr. bonded flat nose designed for the 33 Winchester.I've tried getting some but Woodleigh says they are having trouble getting the US distributors to handle them.I haven't looked lately to see if anyone is carrying them.That would be about perfect for the 338.