Hornet fans and .17 cal fans...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Hornet fans and .17 cal fans...

Post by AJMD429 »

Did you know Savage is making their model 25 accutrigger 'lightweight varminter' in .17 Hornet...?

Outta do everything the .17 HMR can do only with reloadable (tailorable to your gun/needs) ammo.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hornet fans and .17 cal fans...

Post by Mescalero »

Thats the ticket for the vermin in N.M. where I live ( sometimes )
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Did the 17 HMR when it first came out in a Marlin stainless HB bolt action and once I put a RifleBasix trigger in the gun it performed nicely at 100 yards on paper . Also killed a few groundhogs inside 40 yards with relative ease .
Had a Marlin in 17 Mach II in the same configuration and wasn't overly carried away by it .

Did the 17 REM a number of years back and again wasn't exactly my cup of tea .

The 22 Hornet now is quite another story !

My first was a Winchester Model 43 when I was in high school back in the late 70's . Next came a Kimber 82 . Both these shot well but there was always something else I wanted .

Got another Hornet maybe when I was 35 or so . This was a Pre 64 Model 70 of 1938 vintage that was by far the best most accurate Hornet I had owned up to that time . But with a LEupold Vari XII 4-12AO it weighed about 9 pounds . Killed a few groundhogs with it using the Nosler 40 grain BT out to maybe 150 yards no problem . And then someone wanted it worse then I wanted to keep it !

Then about 3 years ago my mother bought my father a Ruger #1B 22 Hornet about a month before she passed away . That one doesn't quite shoot as well as the Model 70 but it still shoots well enough for earth critters out to 150 yards . And since it's the last gun she ever gave my father I expect it to have a long life at this house :wink:

Oh yeah I'm happy with the 20 and 22 cals . I have no need for the 17's , I kinda see them as a novelty now .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The 17 hornet peaked my interest when it was announced. But 17 or 20 grain bullets don't penitrate a coyotes rib cage worth a hoot. So it's cool but it doesn't meet my needs. Plus I found that a hundred rounds of 17 hmr ammo only cost a few bucks more than a box of 100 17 cal Hornady bullets. A 17 hmr rifle is half the cost of a 17 hornet rifle. If your only shooting out to 150 yards the 17 hmr would be more cost effective.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BenT wrote:more cost effective

I do not find that phrase relative at all :lol:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have hopes that a more robust .17 caliber bullet would be developed,N.M. mountain coyotes are well fed and big.
That said, I do not shoot coyotes.
The ancestors would not be pleased.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

6pt-sika wrote:
BenT wrote:more cost effective

I do not find that phrase relative at all :lol:

Your right what was I thinking? :o
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Glad I saw this posting. I sold my Hornet some years ago (but kept the components), and think about another from time to time. The composite stocked version looks really good to me.

I think the .22 Hornet is one of the all-time nifty cartridges and useful, too.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jerry b wrote:Glad I saw this posting. I sold my Hornet some years ago (but kept the components), and think about another from time to time. The composite stocked version looks really good to me.

I think the .22 Hornet is one of the all-time nifty cartridges and useful, too.

Used to be an older gentleman that lived about 30 miles from me that had spent a good portion of his life messing with groundhogs and fine shooting old varmint guns made on 1878 Sharps actions and the like . Anyway this fellows two favourite cartridges were the 22 Hornet and the R2 Lovell . I think thats all he ever groundhog hunted with until he quit maybe 5 or 6 years ago .
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

[quote="Mescalero"]I have hopes that a more robust .17 caliber bullet would be developed,N.M. mountain coyotes are well fed and big.[/quote]

Thats what Ive been thinking for a while. We need for there
to be a FMJ .17 HMR and FMJ HM2 at least and of course
for the reloadable centerfire .17 caliber cartridges.

I know I know, sooner or later then someone would be
shooting at deer with it etc
Last edited by preventec47 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

I have both the HMR and Mach 2...both are CZ 452 americans....Like the Mach 2 better..quiet and realistically just as effective and more accuracy for less money...the 15 extra yards of the HMR didnt seem worth the extra 40% in ammo cost. But they are both sweet and work fine up until its time to break out my 222 or AR
1894c

Post by 1894c »

bang... :)
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

CalvinMD wrote:I have both the HMR and Mach 2...both are CZ 452 americans....Like the Mach 2 better..quiet and realistically just as effective and more accuracy for less money...the 15 extra yards of the HMR didnt seem worth the extra 40% in ammo cost. But they are both sweet and work fine up until its time to break out my 222 or AR
While I am a believer in (and owner of - 22LR) the CZ452, I just have not been able to warm up to the 17s in any persuasion. If my 22LRs or 22 mag or 22 Hornet cannot do it then my .222 or one of my 3 .223s can.

I am not against the 17s but I can sympathize with olyinaz with his deal about the .300 AAC Blackout; what's the point?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

damienph wrote:While I am a believer in (and owner of - 22LR) the CZ452, I just have not been able to warm up to the 17s in any persuasion. If my 22LRs or 22 mag or 22 Hornet cannot do it then my .222 or one of my 3 .223s can.
Huh...? You mean we're supposed to be practical about this kind of stuff...???? :lol:

Looks like someone's already converting Ruger 77/22 Hornets to 77/17's...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

AJMD429 wrote:
damienph wrote:While I am a believer in (and owner of - 22LR) the CZ452, I just have not been able to warm up to the 17s in any persuasion. If my 22LRs or 22 mag or 22 Hornet cannot do it then my .222 or one of my 3 .223s can.
Huh...? You mean we're supposed to be practical about this kind of stuff...???? :lol:

Looks like someone's already converting Ruger 77/22 Hornets to 77/17's...
PRACTICAL?! ME?! No, I am simply saying that I just can't get excited over the 17s. I load 28 different rounds; practical would mean that I load four!
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

[quote="damienph"]

While I am a believer in (and owner of - 22LR) the CZ452, I just have not been able to warm up to the 17s in any persuasion. If my 22LRs or 22 mag or 22 Hornet cannot do it then my .222 or one of my 3 .223s can.
[/quote]

I am a 22 rimfire diehard also but I will explain what .17 rimfire can do that none of your 22 rimfires or other 22 centerfires can do and that is hit a very small target below a certain amount of money per shot. The 100 yard groups of .17 rimfire are one third to one fourth the size of 22 rimfire in 90 percent of guns. I dont know how or why it is but all the 17 rimfire rifles I have seen at the range just embarrass the heck out of all the 22 rimfire shooters especially me.

I have a buddy who shoots turtles on the far side of his ponds
at distances of 70 to 110 yards and is making 75 percent of
his shots with a Savage .17 HMR that he could only make
10 percent of the time with 22 magnum rimfire and almost never with 22 LR.