Scout Handgun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Scout Handgun?

Post by tomtex »

We know the scout rifle concept. But what will the Scout Handgun concept be?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scout Handgun?

Post by Mescalero »

I am afraid of the result.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

tomtex wrote:We know the scout rifle concept. But what will the Scout Handgun concept be?
Really?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Are we in XP-100 territory on this one?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Are we in XP-100 territory on this one?
But what kind of optics...? 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Remote optics mounted into eyeglasses, slaved to head motion, with thought controlled firing mechanism?

Don
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think it is obvious, it is a 1911...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:I think it is obvious, it is a 1911...
+1,000
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
crystal river charli
Levergunner 1.0

Post by crystal river charli »

+ 1000000
I'm getting old. In my old age I find I long for the guns of my youth.
Revolvers and 1911's were the handguns of my youth.
I know them and I trust them.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Nope, I've already made it.

Since the idea of a "scout" anything isn't simply a martial firearm, but also one that can be used to take game. The .22 lr is the obvious choice. With the holo sight, and the original iron sights useable without removing it, I have the best of both worlds. With a rest, hey I'm getting old and shakey, I have taken jacks out to almost 100yds with it. Of course the jacks were sitting still and had no idea I was there.

Folks even take deer with .22's (yea, we should hang them from a tree), and I've personally take a yote with this handgun. So, the hunting end is taken care or. Of course you can use a .22 for defense. Not the best thing in the world, but better than a sharp stick.

The one thing I haven't come up with, too many other irons in the fire, is a sort of single point sling for it. I have a belt holster, but I was thinking the sling would work pretty well when chasing bunnies.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I think I used to own one, no kidding. I think this just might qualify. For years I owned and competed with a Smith and Wesson Model 41, 22 rimfire, with a 7-1/2" barrel, in NRA Hunter Silouette. On top if this gun, I had a gunsmith drill and tap the barrel for a Weaver Swing-over mount and for a long time I ran a 3 x 9 variable rifle scope on it.

This really was quite versatile, as I could turn down to 3 power and shoot most anything moving, close range, etc or crank it up on 9 power and take my class in Tripple A at the sunday match. The old swingover mount could also be swung over out of the way and I could shoot the iron sights.

Not to mention that old Weaver Swingover mount, (maybe some of you remember them, but the top half (rings and scope) could be removed and returned just by removing the 2 hinge screws and would return to zero, better then any mount I have ever had on any gun.

Other benifits include you could have more then one barrel and quickly change out, not mention break down for cleaning without tools, and with a few extra magazines would be deady indeed with lots of fire power.

I wish I had never sold it, but I did several years ago to round up money for a custom Wilson Combat 1911. But that 41 was the best .22 pistol I ever had, and was capable of under 2 inch groups at a hundred yards, all day long. Anyway, that is one I should not have let get away. Nothing like hindsight.
NRA Life Member, Patron
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

OP. Note: what hand gun ammo would you, want for your scout hand gun to use for head shot only on Zombies or walkers, knowing you need to find ammo as you travel to safety? Note: hope this will help
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

[quote=that 41 was the best .22 pistol I ever had, and was capable of under 2 inch groups at a hundred yards, all day long. [/quote]

Boy you really had me going until the punch line. I have rarely seen a 22 rimfire rifle that could shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yds. In fact not so sure I have ever seen one.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Wasn't the "Scout Pistol" the BREN TEN? The better mousetrap that went bust? After that, the Col. concluded the 1911A1 didn't need fixing?

At least thats how I reemember it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

tomtex wrote:OP. Note: what hand gun ammo would you, want for your scout hand gun to use for head shot only on Zombies or walkers, knowing you need to find ammo as you travel to safety? Note: hope this will help
Mine really likes CCI minimags. Stingers and other such light weight hyper-velocity rounds tend to have quite a few flyers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

preventec,
Really?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Some of us here do have .22LR rifles that will shoot 2 inches at 100 yards just because you have never seen one, they do exist.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thank you Jerry,
Two of mine do.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

preventec47 wrote:I have rarely seen a 22 rimfire rifle that could shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yds. In fact not so sure I have ever seen one.
They WILL, but you have to use subsonic ammo - the transition from supersonic to subsonic takes place around 75 yards, and they start to tumble. Keep them subsonic, and although they have a 'rainbow' trajectory, they will be very accurate.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Here's my version of the "Scout Handgun".

I mounted the scope on this 3 1/2", .45 Colt, Freedom Arms M97 to do some load development (old eyes and open sights not conducive to consisten groups). Surprisingly, it is a handy little rig with the scope in place. Gun with scope weigh less that my 6" FA83 .454 with open sights and is very shootable.

The little belly gun is so much fun with open sights that I removed the scope.

Paul
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Personally, I believe that there is no light utility task that cannot be performed by the likes of a Ruger Mk II or Mk III.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

After reading the above posts. I conclude that any hand gun will work, as long as can find ammo for it and then hit your target.
For the Zombie world, any JHP 22 cal hand gun with the help of scope/optic so you can engage targets as for away as posable ,will let you shoot and run, a feed your self ,and ammo should easy found.

For the real world I would want hand gun, that can fire a combination of 9 mm,38 cal and 357 mag with moon clips, ammo should be easily found . I Only know of two hand guns lines that can do this, The Ruger and the new Rhino?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Not saying this is perfect but with two more barrels I think it could be in the running. It is the first year manufacture or so, came with the 45 colt/410 barrel. I added a .256 win mag. Now if we added a .22lr and maybe .30 herrett?

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Booger Bill,
I used to shoot silhouette? with a .30 Herret.
I gave it up, non hearing protected fire with that thing would be brutal.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Glock 10MM. 8)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

...it's the handgun that I am presently carrying when I'm hunting... :)
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Are we in XP-100 territory on this one?

nah, just a mares leg with a scope on it!

and a laser

and a flash light

and a bayonet

:D
cable
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

preventec47 wrote:
that 41 was the best .22 pistol I ever had, and was capable of under 2 inch groups at a hundred yards, all day long. [/quote wrote:
Boy you really had me going until the punch line. I have rarely seen a 22 rimfire rifle that could shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yds. In fact not so sure I have ever seen one.
I am not joking, that was not a punch line, it was a very accurate gun, more accurate then the average 75 dollar 22 rifle, remember I was shooting a 9 power scope on it and I failed to mention that was off of sandbags, granted you have to be able to shoot to do it, however, I did have a .22 heavy barrel rifle that could easily do 1 inch at a 100yds on a calm day and good ammo.
NRA Life Member, Patron
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

This: Broomhandle Mauser with a scope ala Star Wars

http://www.partsofsw.com/dl44sw_alt.htm

LK
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think the "perfect packing pistol" of John Taffins description would be the closest thing to a scout concept in a handgun. Powerful, light, easy to carry. That's the foundation of scout stuff.

Bayonets? That's hilarious! Sort of the opposite of anything in the scout concept, as would scoped handguns of any sort, unless one wasn't going to carry a rifle and needed a couple hundred yards range for first round hit capability
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:Thank you Jerry,
Two of mine do.
yes -- my stock Ruger 10/22T (the heavy barrel target model with spiral fluted hammer forged barrel ) -- will do well under 1/2" at Bullseye indoor 100 yard shooting range in Kansas with Eley or Tenex ammo --- outdoors, i get around .75" off bags with cheaper ammo (Remington target ammo, not bulk pack stuff )
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Booger Bill wrote:Not saying this is perfect but with two more barrels I think it could be in the running. It is the first year manufacture or so, came with the 45 colt/410 barrel. I added a .256 win mag. Now if we added a .22lr and maybe .30 herrett?

I was going to mention the Contender/Encore series too :)
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Open sighted Glock 20 (fitted with Crimson Trace laser grips)
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

OK, I admit I have two that fit the description but I thought they were for squirrel hunting not scout pistols.
Marvel C.jpg
22 cal pisols C.jpg
Arch's 762x39c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

From many of the posts, I think many don't understand the scout concept.

Hobie and tman get it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sig 220 black elite.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Not to bash on the scout concept some more ( but dang it is so easy) many of you are missing the point. It's not to take what is the perfect production packin pistol, or a 1911 or a SA .45colt or whatever and use it. Yes, these and many others are the perfect multitool already. But to make a "scout handgun" you have to take that perfect handgun and add bells and whistles which no one needed or asked for. It can't be a factory configeration 1911, or MKII, or Single Six, or S&W 4" .357. This isn't the prefect woods or packing gun we're talkin about, we already have plenty of those. It's to be a scout handgun. But remember you have to have gun writer support or it will fail. Cooper obviously isn't available but my understanding that St. Terry might be. :mrgreen:

LK
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Hobie wrote:I think it is obvious, it is a 1911...
Yep! I have a color poster on my gun cabinet that says; "1911, Hammer of God"...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Booger Bill wrote:Not saying this is perfect but with two more barrels I think it could be in the running. It is the first year manufacture or so, came with the 45 colt/410 barrel. I added a .256 win mag. Now if we added a .22lr and maybe .30 herrett?Image
Maybe want to start another thread, but I'd be interested in a 'range report' on how you find your .45/410 to be when using the .45 Colt cartridge - is it accurate...?

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

[quote=]Not to bash on the scout concept some more ( but dang it is so easy)....[/quote]

It's now really obvious some don't get the scout thing at all.

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Malamute wrote:It's now really obvious some don't get the scout thing at all.
I'll be the first one to raise my hand to that one. I don't get, tried to get, researched it and find it completely out of my grasp. YMMV, I've given up, not embarassed in the least and will stick with a regular old short rifle. :)

LK
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

L_Kilkenny wrote:
Malamute wrote:It's now really obvious some don't get the scout thing at all.
I'll be the first one to raise my hand to that one. I don't get, tried to get, researched it and find it completely out of my grasp. YMMV, I've given up, not embarassed in the least and will stick with a regular old short rifle. :)

LK
I'll be the second...wouldn't use a pistol for anything over a 100 yards anyways, so what is the purpose of using optical enhancers?

A Ruger 7.5 SBH in .44 Mag is all ya need.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"I have rarely seen a 22 rimfire rifle that could shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yds. In fact not so sure I have ever seen one."

"They WILL, but you have to use subsonic ammo - the transition from supersonic to subsonic takes place around 75 yards, and they start to tumble. Keep them subsonic, and although they have a 'rainbow' trajectory, they will be very accurate."

I and a bunch of other IHMSA Small Bore shooters would heartily disagree with both of these statements.

Post by Mescalero »

I am lost as well.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Old Time Hunter wrote:I'll be the second...wouldn't use a pistol for anything over a 100 yards anyways, so what is the purpose of using optical enhancers?

A Ruger 7.5 SBH in .44 Mag is all ya need.

I'm lost too, where did the idea that a scoped handgun was anything remotely connectd to the scout idea come from? It's sort of the opposite of the concept so far as I can tell. The idea was about a very short, light handy rifle that can do as much and as well as a short handy rifle can, in regards to handguns (which wasn't part of the idea until this thread), a scope would seem to take away from that idea. A simple, short powerful handgun would seem to fill the bill. I'd go with a 4 5/8" Super myself. I had a 5 1/2" one, and had it cut to 4 5/8". In a good belt rig, it can be worn all day every day and never be in the way. I've forgotten I had it on on many occasions. A good 4" 357 would be pretty darn close to all around, tho some of us like a little heavier caliber for the places we live and the uses we have for handguns.

Optics on a rifle? I like them very much.

2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Malamute wrote:I think the "perfect packing pistol" of John Taffins description would be the closest thing to a scout concept in a handgun. Powerful, light, easy to carry. That's the foundation of scout stuff.
I couldn't agree more, since I own the PPP! A 1959 model 4 3/4" Ruger Flattop in .44 :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

With or without it, I still do not grasp the concept.

Would not a holster and sixgun be enough?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I still think a semi-auto .22 would do just fine.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Old Time Hunter wrote:With or without it, I still do not grasp the concept.

Would not a holster and sixgun be enough?

"It", meaning a scope on a handgun? I don't think they're very handy, and add to the bulk and slow the handling down. All things that are opposite the "concept". If one likes them (scopes on handguns), that's enough reason to have one, but I can't figure out what connection it would have to anything resembling the "scout concept".

A holster and sixgun enough? Yes, I quite agree. I can't figure out how the waters got so muddied with ideas of widgets, scopes, and shortened rifles in handgun configuration.
Last edited by Malamute on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Optics, whether red dot, holo or scope, all do one thing. They make it easier to hit a target. And, if it's available, is seems foolish not to take advantage of it. Should those devices fail, you can always fall back on your iron sights. I like the idea of a semi .22 in this role, some don't. But, as with the scout rifle, you pays your money and takes your choice. Or more simply, what works for one doesn't work for all.

One thing I believe Cooper was trying to do, was make people think. He was all about using one's brain as their first line of defense. Hardware is good, smarts can make needing to rely on that hardware less.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"