Anyone Make Fiber Optic Sight Sets For Rossi 92's?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dawg
Levergunner

Anyone Make Fiber Optic Sight Sets For Rossi 92's?

Post by Dawg »

Eyes are getting old and tired. Sure would like a nice fiber optic set for my Rossi.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Anyone Make Fiber Optic Sight Sets For Rossi 92's?

Post by AJMD429 »

I did (once) - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21648

Another thread on them - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=28254

In case you're interested in aperture options, here's some pics and links - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 31#p390174
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

I was at my favorite local gun shop the other day and was looking at the lever actions when I came across a new Rossi model 92' in 454 Casull caliber that had TruGlo fiber optic sights on it. Red front and dual green on the rear and boy did they stand out so I set out to get a set for my Rossi 92' 38/357 20" round barrel. TruGlo said to contact Rossi and Rossi said to contact TruGlo, you know how that goes. So finally Rossi said yes they had them so I got the part number which is 66004112000 and the price is $80.00 plus $4.75 shipping. So I thanked them for the info and hung up and crossed them off my list. You can buy very similar TruGlo sight sets for Ruger 10-22 or Marlin 336 for $40.00. So they clearly were not doing me any favors. If the price doesn't bother you they are great looking sights.
TruGlo list three, 3/8ths" dovetail front sights at .450"-.500"-and .530" heights measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight for $19.00 each plus shipping.
Steves Gunz has bight red or green fiber optic front sights for $29.95 but he doesn't list a rear fiber optic. I don't know about his shipping cost.
Yes their nice sights but I"m still looking around.
Maybe Marbles, Williams or Lyman will come out with a set for the Rossi at an attractive price.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IMO, the rear sight with two dots to line up the front one in is slow and clumsy. With a ghost sized ring, or smaller if you like, you don't have to line up or even think about the back sight. Look thru and shoot. The eye will always find the exact center because that is where the light is the strongest/brightest :idea: :wink: Just like using a red dot scope. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I agree with BlaineG - but I do like the fiber-optic front sights.

Since I like aperture rear sights, I usually just get the "Williams FP" ones, and they often come with or without (same cost either way) a set of (wide and narrow style) front "Firesights".

They DO work on the Rossi 92's. Sometimes you need to do a bit of work with a center-punch to work up the material for a snug fit, or rarely need a thin shim of aluminum (or just cheat and dab a bit of super-glue on the underside).

So you might check out the Williams FireSights on MidwayUSA - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/292636 ... -optic-red

This style is $17.99

If you are considering a rear aperture vs. the 'open' style, MidwayUSA also has the Williams FP-94 which is very easy to install on the Rossi 92's and comes with a 'free' set of FireSights.

Here's a bit on that - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=25689
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Dawg
Levergunner

Post by Dawg »

Thanks for the suggestions. Some good info. I have since found out that Skinner is now offering a Peep sight specifically for the Rossi 92's that mounts in the rear dovetail. Might be the thing to use with the front that AMJD429 posted.

The point about the eye centering the front sight when using a peep is well taken.
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

Well of course Steves Gunz offers a rear peep sight that mounts in the safety cutout of the bolt. No cutting, no drilling, just swap out. It's $59.95 I believe if you want to go that route and he offers a gold bead front sight that is time proven for $24.95.
For the time being I have just put a dot of white paint on the front and rear sights. Cost $0.00.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

flightsimmer wrote:Well of course Steves Gunz offers a rear peep sight that mounts in the safety cutout of the bolt. No cutting, no drilling, just swap out.
Takes about 60 seconds to install too, if that... 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just a thought....A dot of green whiteout on the front sight is almost as good as the fibre optic. (needs to be renewed every so often, tho)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV