PA State NRA Cowboy Silhouette Match - McKean County Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

PA State NRA Cowboy Silhouette Match - McKean County Rifle

Post by w30wcf »

Fellow Levergun Enthusiasts,

For those of you that like to shoot offhand with your leverguns at reactive steel targets, this match would be for you!

The PA State NRA Cowboy Silhouette Championship will be held at the McKean County Rifle Club which is located close to Bradford, PA, on Sept. 29 & 30.

The course of fire is as follows:
.22 Lever action rifles - Saturday 9:00AM
60 shots total ……..15 chickens @ 40 meters / 15 Javelina @ 50 meters / 15 turkeys @ 75 meters / and 15 rams @ 100 meters.

lever action pistol cartridge - Saturday 1:00PM
60 shots total …….15 chickens @ 40 meters / 15 Javelina @ 50 meters / 15 turkeys @ 75 meters / and 15 rams @ 100 meters.

lever action rifle cartridge - Sunday 9:00
60 shots total …….15 chickens @ 50 meters / 15 javelina @ 100 meters / 15 turkeys @ 150 meters / 15 rams @ 200 meters.

The matches are fired in 5 target segments, 1 shot at each target, left to right. Shooters are given a 30 second preparation period to load their rifles with 5 rounds, then 2 minutes to fire at their bank of 5 targets.

If you live within driving distance of Bradford, PA and don't have anything special planned for that weekend, please stop by and bring a lever action rifle or 2 or 3. Or if you want to just see what is going on, please come and observe. It is a lot of fun and it is a joy to behold seeing all those lever action rifles in one place and all those reactive steel targets . Pretty neat!

Competitors for this match must belong to the NRA and can join at the match if need be.

If you would have an interest, please email me at w30wcf@adelphia.net and I can forward the match bulletin to you.

Sincerely,
w30wcf

picture of the 150 meter Turkeys and 200 meter rams
Last edited by w30wcf on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
73sTheBest
Levergunner

Post by 73sTheBest »

My thumb starts pushin ghost cartridges when I see a pic like that. That is a picture of about the most fun a human can have on this earth.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Are they shooting white or black targets? All the clubs around here are shooting black now.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

Nice looking range.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm gonna have to find something like that in my area and try it. Looks like fun.
Old Law Dawg
11b3y
Levergunner

Thanks for the heads up, looks like a fun match.

Post by 11b3y »

Email sent requesting more info.

Thanks!

Thomas
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

73sTheBest,
Me too!

41 Redhawk,
They shoot white targets. They are more visible the way the range is situated.

11b3y,
Thank you for your interest. Email responded to.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
NRA Life member
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Jack,

I hate to miss the shoot but schedules conflict -- same dates as the BPCR Silhouette Regional at Ridgway. Sixgun tells me he will be at the McKean County range. Also, if I have the time I might run up to Bradford Friday evening just to jaw around the fire.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Cimmaron Red,
Greg Hill will be at the BPCS Regional also. He shot the States at Bradford last year.

Sixgun told me that he would be arriving mid day on Friday and that instead of camping, they were renting a cabin somewhere nearby.
I'm not sure where.

At this point I'm not sure if I will drive in on Friday or early Saturday morning.

Good luck at the Regionals.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

John,

Thanks. And you shoot well, too. Greg Hill is a great guy and a heck of an off-hand shot (even though he's now become a flatlander.) I shot with him at McDonald near Pittsburgh early this month. And I got to shoot levergun silhouettes at Sixgun's club, Atglen, this month and last. I had a great time, and Sixgun's a gracious host. Good luck in McKean County!

Cimarron Red
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

John - What are the rules/restrictions at these events? Are scoped levers allowed?

Haycock
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Haycock,
Sorry, no scopes, only iron sights can be used.....
front sight - post, post w/bead (Lyman 17A globe ok as long as it has a post type insert)
rear sight - factory, peep, tang

Cimarron Red,
Yes, as you said, Greg is a heck of an offhand shot. Most of the time he has the highest score in our annual Cast Bullet Rifle Silhouette Match in Ridgway.

Take care and have a great shoot!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Less than a week to go. :D For the pistol cartridge competition, I've decided to give my '73 .44-40 a rest and try my .357 Marlin Cowboy Ltd. whch also wears a tang sight.

I much prefer to use cast bullets and have been testing for the past couple of weeks to find a good accurate load in the 1,200 - 1,400 f.p.s. range with Lyman's 358665 cowboy bullet. After testing several combinations, I've settled on 11.0 grs. 4759 and a WSPM primer. It is a capacity load meaning that there is no sinsitivity to powder position. Groups run in the 1" range @ 50 yards with velocity around 1,350 f.p.s. :D

Now if I can just steer my Marlin properly, there should be a number of cast bullet / steel target collissions. :mrgreen:

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member