Keep the Shooting 'sports' alive and involve MORE people...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Keep the Shooting 'sports' alive and involve MORE people...

Post by AJMD429 »

I happened across a post I'd made a couple years back when someone was talking about setting up a public shooting range. I thought it was worth re-posting...

I drive by a couple shooting ranges fairly often, and as I pointed out in the original post, "Most of the ranges I've been to offer none of these things, and are empty most of the time, struggling financially, and will close down once the little closed-circle of veteran shooters dies out." How many of you/us are fortunate enough to have a range nearby where there is a growing population of young and enthusiastic shooters...? It seems most ranges and clubs are barely getting along, depending on ageing members who come to shoot often enough to keep the place open - but there are few young/new members to carry on the tradition.

This is largely because the 'curmudgeon' factor - too many 'old-timers' fail to bring in young shooters to the sport/hobby/lifestyle. If you are guilty of this - SHAME ON YOU...!

WE REALLY NEED TO ENCOURAGE THE SHOOTING SPORTS, and in doing so, we will foster the mindset of independence, self-reliance, and social/political stability...
One thought is that if you get far enough away from 'people' to get zoning approval, you're going to be out amongst the kind of folks who already have land to shoot on, or friends who do.

Therefore, to make a go of it, you have to offer something above and beyond the old-fashioned 'shooting range', to give two groups reasons to come see ya.
  • a. The Already Shooting crowd - they most likely have a dirt backstop and 100 yards or so at home or a friend's. They may not have 500 yards, though (but that's lots of money for lots of land). They may not have fancy targets (again, lots of money for damageable targets), or gongs that can take .308 FMJ day in and day out without damage (affordable for a range, and indestructable). They may not have a chronograph - you could rent them with an appropriate deposit if needed.

b. The Non-Shooting crowd - they are your GROWTH potential, and a way of ensuring the future of shooting sports, by getting other non-shooters interested in, or at least sympathetic to, the shooting sports. What about an on-site restaurant, picnic area, or other on-site business that would draw families of shooters there to while away the hours (and maybe spend some money) while grandpa shoots? What about an on-site business dealing with bait & tackle, beekeeping supplies, gardening, feed store, pet grooming, kennel, or other sort of draw folks would frequent and in doing so drive by the range area and at least see a few folks out shooting, and maybe get curious to join them sometime?

Now, before some folks say "No way, I don't want those kind of non-shooters driving past the range when I'm there shooting; what if they decide to come by sometime with their guns and shoot? What if they don't know what they're doing? What if they disturb me while I'm shooting?" I would just say that one of the reasons we have so few young shooters entering the ranks is our anti-social assume-everyone-who-isn't-already-an-experienced-shooter-is-a-gang-banger-or-moron attitude. It puts people off, particularly women, and kids do what mom allows them to do - which won't be shooting, if she feels it's a hobby for reclusive know-it-alls who wouldn't welcome her kid or family because they aren't already 'shooters'.

I'd go further; I'd make it a point to host very advertized monthly "shoot-a-thon"s for different charities, or local schools or churches or other projects. Get the geezers NRA-certified to teach range-safety, get some scouts or 4-H'ers or local boys out there with .22's shooting bullseyes-to-fight-breast-cancer or whatever. Have people (i.e. more 'outsiders' who sign pledge forms in workplaces, etc.,) pledge so many cents per bullseye and more for higher scores. Build a good or better range than the local cops have, and allow them free membership if they in turn host a monthly women-only firearms class. There's no reason we in the U.S. should have gun ownership and hobby shooting a 'closeted' event - we should be like the Swiss, and openly and proudly have community "shootin-fests". Have a quarterly picnic, pitch-in, or hog-roast!

And yes, if you have to please the reclusive old-timers, give us a day once a month when the place is shut down to everyone but us, and we can quietly come by, unload all our gear, and shoot all afternoon without interacting with a single human being. While we shoot in solitude, we can grumble to ourself about why the shooting sports are not as popular they used to be. (Seriously, I suppose, you could have a few lanes off in a separate 'platinum-club' member's section for shooters who didn't want to be bothered.)

Most of the ranges I've been to offer none of these things, and are empty most of the time, struggling financially, and will close down once the little closed-circle of veteran shooters dies out.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: Keep the Shooting 'sports' alive and involve MORE people...

Post by bsaride »

Two weeks ago I setup a range day at the local indoor range.

I had the following show up:

Friend, amateur radio repeater owner, shooter
Friend, amateur radio fishing buddy and his dad
My youngest daughter (25)
New girlfriend, her daughter, her ex father-in-law was our RO
Friend, her daughter and daughters husband (friend and daughter rotated to watch the kids outside)
Myself

My gf and her daughter along with friends daughter and husband were new shooters, that's 40% new shooters for this gathering.
Everyone had a great time and my friends daughter will be buying soon.
Left my daughter shooting zombies with the 44 mag rifle and worked the room, did get to shoot my new 327 Fed Mag J frame

It's all good!
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I make it a point to take out friends, their wives, and their kids once a year to the range. I provide all the firearms and ammo for free and we have a firearms safety and handling meeting before we go out and shooting lessons once we get there. Even those I've taught before get the 'refresher' course before they even touch a firearm. All our friends love to come out and try it and I've converted a few to avid shooters.

In addition, our club has special ladies only 3-gun and Practical Pistol shoots every other week during the summer. We sponsor both the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts at our club and we do YMCA shooting events too. Finally, our range is open for free to all law enforcement personal for organized training and both local and state departments use it. We even had a 'secret' FBI training session along with the Denver SWAT for the 2008 DNC here. You just can't miss an opportunity to introduce the shooting sports to the youth and some not so young.

BTW, our club has grown from 400 members 8 years ago to almost 1,000 members now and most aren't us 'Geritol for Lunch Bunch' either.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I work in a fairly hippy industry and don't generally advertise my shooting except to very close friends. However being a veteran, i do tend to get those questions "do you know anything about guns?" etc.

In 2 years I've gotten five guys shooting and one got his girlfriend/fiancee shooting. Another got his young wife (18) shooting, she was already interested, she just now actually has some training.

I've been responsible for that guy getting a pistol two rifles and a shotgun plus starting hunting, another guy getting a USP .40 and a 10/22 (now his GF wants her own) and another friend of mine had bought an AK on his own. Now he has a 10/22, 700 in .308, Mosin-Nagant and a Glock 17..

I'd say i've done my fair share. And that's just in 2 years, i've been doing this a long, long time. :)