Mounting a sling to a levergun - swivel base chart

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Mounting a sling to a levergun - swivel base chart

Post by AJMD429 »

I remember there are occasional posts from folks inquiring about how to best mount a sling on a particular gun, and among their options are the 'magazine tube' or 'barrel' mounts, but sometimes it's hard to know if there is a size for a given firearm.

I was searching for this chart of 'tube-mount' sling swivel bases, and thought I'd post it, since Uncle Mike's usually lists them by the GUN they are supposed to fit, which is confusing, since one for a "Marlin 1894" may fit a .44 Mag 1894, but probably not a .218 Bee 1894, and some guns don't make the "list" but are obviously in a diameter range where one or another swivel will fit. This may be just a PARTIAL list, as I think I had one with more 'closed for barrel' ones listed; if anyone has more information I'll be glad to modify the post/chart.

Anyway, for those who may want to put a sling swivel base on a levergun or other 'tube' type application, here' a chart of 'Uncle Mikes' magazine-tube/barrel sling stud mounts:

Diameter range in 1000th's of inch = Uncle Mike's Part # = Style

420-470 = 10712 = 'open'
430-445 = 13412 = 'closed for mag tube'
540-590 = 10512 = 'open'
630-675 = 13912 = 'open'
645-660 = 13312 = 'closed for mag tube'
645-660 = 14412 = 'closed for barrel'
700-750 = 15972 = 'open'
750-800 = 15952 = 'open'
775-825 = 15922 = 'open'
800-850 = 15932 = 'open'
850-900 = 15912 = 'open'
n/a = 15312 = 10-32 threaded stud for use into barrel band, etc.

I can post pictures later, but the 'open' type is the two 'C' shaped pieces which clam-shell around a barrel or tubular magazine, the 'closed for mag tube' type is a split-'O' that slips over any round tube, but is 'dimpled' or thinner on top, so a close-to-barrel magazine tube will usually work with it, and the 'closed for barrel' type is a split-'O' that slips over any round tube that isn't too close to another - it has no thin/dimpled area on top. The 'C' types have a bit more adjustment tolerance it seems to me than the 'O' ones, but I've NEVER had any of them fail and pull off, and the only time any have 'slipped' was just because I failed to LokTite the threads. I often put just a spot of it around the magazine tube under the band, as well.

Hope this helps.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Mounting a sling to a levergun - swivel base chart

Post by shooter »

Thanks Doc. I've been thinking about a magazine tube mounted sling as it's a little easier to do than threading a hole in the barrel band, but I've heard the mag tube can work loose over time carrying it that way.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Since I don't have calipers or anything that measures in 1000ths of an inch (sad, I know), which one would a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt be? Any ideas?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:Since I don't have calipers or anything that measures in 1000ths of an inch (sad, I know), which one would a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt be? Any ideas?
I just measured mine and it was 0.640" - it's the side-load-only ('normal') kind; the ones with the additional tube-loading option and 'nested' magazine tube plunger would of course be larger.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "