Gunshow talk #2

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Gunshow talk #2

Post by Marlin32 »

Forgot to add this about Gunshows: The conversation one overhear. I was trying to look at a Sako, seller was engaged with someone who was interested (who had not heard of Sako) nor was he familiar with its caliber, which later I could see was 9.3x62mm which the seller refered to as the "European 35 Whelen" Not quite sure that is what I would call it, but sure sounded nice to the potential buyer (not sure he had any knowledge of 35 Whelen either)

Oh, there were more conversations I over heard and wanted to throw BS flag, but I just shake my head and walk on.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gunshow talk #2

Post by wecsoger »

As I've said before, I am a so-called gun expert, just ask me.

I still suffer from the fate of honesty and looking for a good laugh though. So the one thing I'll let you know the other gun experts won't - fully half of everything I tell you is absolute, complete and total B.S.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Regardless of what type of "show", I have no qualms about calling out sellers/presenters. It bugs me to no end that there are folks who will provide mis-information, or flat outright lie to make a sell.

I was at a county fair a few years ago, and some fellow was selling a device that "removed all the bad stuff from your city water". It was nothing more than a brass widget you put in your incomming water line. Folks were impressed, way too much so, so I raised my hand politely to ask a question. When called upon I simply ask, "where does it go?". Well, he said it just went "away". So I pressed and said it had to go "somewhere". People aren't stupid, usually, and when presented with a bit to think about figured it out. They just walked away. Bugged me so much, I went back to his stall several times that day. He wasn't happy, but at least I saved a few folks from being ripped off.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We used to set up tables at gun shows and try to inform attendees of local and national regulations that were proposed or pending, so there would be some response during the 'comment period' or whatever.

Typical of the 'sportsmen' we'd deal with were the guys who were walking out with a newly-purchased Browning BLR in 300 Win Mag, with a new Leupold on top, who'd either say "I don't have the money to spend on postage" (we had a selection of letters written on current legislative issues, varying in tone from 'friendly' to 'dear public servant', which we'd let them select from, and we'd mail-merge in their legislator's addresses, and hand them the letters to mail), or they'd say something about "nobody needs those kinds of guns except gang-bangers, anyway..." (when the issue in question was a ban on semiautos or certain handguns or whatever).

I quickly realized that 'gun control' was not an issue 'sportsmen' necessarily cared about, as long as their particular segment of the hobby wasn't inconvenienced. We would have gotten a more motivated and understanding audience for the concept of "freedom", if we'd set up a table at a local arts festival or marijuana-legalization rally. :roll:

If you want to semi-anonymously buy a non-firearm accessory or book, or browse for a naively-low-priced used gun, gun shows may be useful, but new guns on GunsAmerica.com or GunBroker.com or BudsGunShop.com will be same or better priced, and no crowds to deal with.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"I quickly realized that 'gun control' was not an issue 'sportsmen' necessarily cared about, as long as their particular segment of the hobby wasn't inconvenienced. We would have gotten a more motivated and understanding audience for the concept of "freedom", if we'd set up a table at a local arts festival or marijuana-legalization rally."
--ADJM429

Ding! Ding!Ding! BINGO and we have a winner!....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ray Newman wrote:"I quickly realized that 'gun control' was not an issue 'sportsmen' necessarily cared about, as long as their particular segment of the hobby wasn't inconvenienced. We would have gotten a more motivated and understanding audience for the concept of "freedom", if we'd set up a table at a local arts festival or marijuana-legalization rally."
--ADJM429

Ding! Ding!Ding! BINGO and we have a winner!....
We call em "Fudds". Before ya CARE abut OTHER PEOPLE losing their guns, you have to make the connection, include yourself in the population potentially at risk, etc. In other words, you have to THINK.
There are astounding numbers of people who make a good buck doing some job or other, often with professional degrees or credentials, and IT IS ALL THEY KNOW. They don't read, don't think independently, and don't CARE that they might be missing something besides the NASCAR standings or when opening day is for deer.
Certified gun nut
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Went to a gun show today. I overheard a conversation where a customer was asking a dealer if 300 Win Mag ammo was the same as 7.62. Turns out he was talking about 7.62x39 ammunition. The customer didn't understand why they weren't interchangeable. I couldn't make this stuff up. I know one has to start somewhere on gun knowledge, but the understanding that guns are caliber specific seems like one of the first things a person learns.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams