Update: Marbles Tang Sight Not Vertical - Not Lever Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I mounted a new Marbles tang sight on my Winchester 62a recently and noted that the very top of the sight leaned about 1/8 inch to the rear of vertical. It still worked fine, but offended my sense of 'squareness.' I called Marbles and they told me to send it back for fixing. I just received my sight back (actually a new one, I think) and it has exactly the same slight rearward lean.

I spent some time today looking at various photos of tang sights (various makes) on rifles and noted that many have this lean and are not quite vertical. What about those in your collections? How normal is this? Should I sent the sight back again? Thoughts?

Update: I have been e-mailing back and forth with Marbles and they are being great. The sight is going back again tomorrow, along with a tracing of the tang and barrel lines. Using the angle the two create, they should be able to make the setup perfect. Keep you posted.
Last edited by InTheWoods on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Marbles Tang Sight Not Vertical - Not Lever Gun

Post by Griff »

I only have a Lyman #2 and a Smith, both sit at almost vertical... leastways as far as my eye can tell. The Smith has a small allen screw that can adjust it so it will sit vertically. Yes, I would send it back again, and ask them to verify that the one they sent is for your gun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

There's a 62A with Lyman tang sight on Gunbroker right now.. one picture from the side looks like you describe.. not quite verticle.. may be it will be okay.. shoot it.. won't wear it any looking through it.. (I used to tell my customers that they could be the first person to ever look through this new window, after I installed it..) Used to do home remodeling..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

InTheWoods wrote:I mounted a new Marbles tang sight on my Winchester 62a recently and noted that the very top of the sight leaned about 1/8 inch to the rear of vertical. It still worked fine, but offended my sense of 'squareness.' I called Marbles and they told me to send it back for fixing. I just received my sight back (actually a new one, I think) and it has exactly the same slight rearward lean.

I spent some time today looking at various photos of tang sights (various makes) on rifles and noted that many have this lean and are not quite vertical. What about those in your collections? How normal is this? Should I sent the sight back again? Thoughts?
I had one Marbles for a Marlin 1894 that was like that. It DID matter when using the smallest aperture as the hole looked oval and not round. So I carefully measured the error, wrote a detailed note and sent it back. They fixed it.
Certified gun nut
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

why not try a little shim under the lower part of the sight it should set up straight then.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Find yourself an original Lyman. You can loosen the screw on the side and make it sit wherever you want it to. Send Marbles back their junk. Its a crying shame the junk they make and then sell it for $125-$150, or about the same price an original sells for.

Or you can do what JerryB says and make a shim. I've done this lots of time and in fact, I did one last weekend. I use leather, but wood will also work. Just cut it out for the same size as the base, then sand it on an angle to get the right degrees of "shim". I use a little Grizzly belt sander.

The leather thingy also works great for sights when you don't have enough elevation. I'll get 1/4" leather and cut that baby out. On original Winchesters, I'll grease up the tang area real good to keep it from rusting as leather absorbs moisture.---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I am considering sending it back to Marbles one more time. A shim would have to be pretty thick and unsightly to make the sight totally vertical.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

it will certainly throw off your long distance shooting.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If it sets to the same place whenever you flip it up to shoot, it really doesn't matter whether it is 'vertical' or not.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

It matters to me. It's a lot harder to see though the peep if it isn't perpenticular to the sightline, at least with a target peep.

Owen
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

Update: I have been e-mailing back and forth with Marbles and they are being great. The sight is going back again tomorrow, along with a tracing of the tang and barrel lines. Using the angle the two create, they should be able to make the setup perfect. Keep you posted.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Update: Marbles Tang Sight Not Vertical - Not Lever Gun

Post by Charles »

Much ado about nothings. tI could be the tang of your rifle that is the problem and not the sights. Just use a shim that can't be seen and go whistling about your business.