Speer .30 150gr DeepCurl

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Speer .30 150gr DeepCurl

Post by xxclaro »

Anyone have a chance to try this bullet out yet? I jsut picked up a box on the weekend, gonna load some up for my .307. I imagine they are built with the 30-30 in mind, but I think they should be ok in the .307 as well. I also got some 150gr PowerPoints,130gr Speer FP and 130gr Hornady Spitzers. I took out the .307(M94) a couple weeks ago with some 125gr spitzers I has loaded up. I shot them single shot, but was very happy with the accuracy and trajectory. Was able to hit a steel gong about 5x14 at 250 yards by holding just over the top, and very repeatable too. I hadn't shot this gun in a while, and forgot what a fun gun in was. Ibelieve I must hunt with it this year. With the right bullet, I believe I can shoot out to 300 yards, although I doubt I'll go over 150. I also had the .356 out with some 220gr Speers. That one took a bit more holdover, but it whacked that 250 yard gong with authority when it got there! I ordered some more 180's for it, they done well for me in the past.
If you were to take the .307 for a combo hunt of elk,moose, whitetail and muley, which bullet would you choose? My choices are pretty much those I mentioned or some Nosler 150gr Partition. I have some 150gr Barnes TSX FP's , but after the terrible performance on a deer 2 years ago, I'm no longer comfortable using those bullets. I was very happy with the Fusion bullets in my .270, and had hoped the Deepcurl would prove equally successful in my .307.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Speer .30 150gr DeepCurl

Post by BigSky56 »

I think you be happy with the deep curl I been loading a 165 for my 300 savage and it worked perfect on deer this year it punched thru, plus they are accurate I was able to get 1" groups. I got the 170's for my 30-30 but havent loaded any yet. danny
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Hornady has the new 140 gr monoflex solid for states that don't allow lead. I'm going to give it a try in my 307.
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

As long as you don't mind having a 2-shooter...those 125gr spitzers will reach out and touch something very hard....they hold together fine on deer too...with a 30-30 loaded up pushing them to safe max ..I was getting right at 1" groups with H335 and complete pass thrus on some pretty respectable deer even at angle shots where bone was in the way
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Post by xxclaro »

Thanks guys. The flex tip bullets interest me but I've heard some people were having issue's with OAL being too long to use in .307. I also wanted to try the 200gr .35 in my .356, but was concerned about having the same issues. SO can anyone verify that these bullets work in the Winchester rifles? As limited as bullet selection is for these rifles, it would be nice to add a few options. I'm not really all that concerned with pointy bullets and trajectory. I'm not likely to shoot past 300 yards, and so far these flat points have proved to be up to the task. I'm going to try shooting my 130gr FP's against my 130gr Spitzers at identical velocities and see what the difference in drop is. i've heard lots of good things about these 130gr bullets at moderate velocities, really looking forward to giving them a good testing.