H & R Pardner 20 gauge Compact

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Indianagirl
Levergunner

H & R Pardner 20 gauge Compact

Post by Indianagirl »

Good morning all, I would appreciate your input on a H & R Pardner 20 Gauge Compact pump.
It would be for fun as well as a consideration for HD.
So let's have it. What do ya think? Thanks :D
Hobie

Re: H & R Pardner 20 gauge Compact

Post by Hobie »

I think a 20 gauge is just fine (so does Masaad Ayoob). However, the best for that is any of the Remington 870s with the short barrels, plus they are, with barrel or choke changes, eminently usable hunting arms. Cost may be a factor. I won't tell you how to spend your money but likely you can make up the difference with a couple of short term and minor sacrifices. If you truly can't, then get a NEF single barrel shotgun and call it good. The truth is that the "off-brand" pump and semi-auto shotguns are common visitors to the gunsmith. There is nothing wrong with a quality used shotgun, if you know what you're looking at.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The 20GA is a fine all around gauge but if you intend using a pump action for defence buy the best you can afford and practice often :wink:
Last edited by gamekeeper on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Like Hobie said. Better to spend a little more the 1st time so as not to buy the what u wanted twice.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

For your needs I would want something simple/reliable/enough power/with the emphasis being handling and simple working in a panic situation.

I think a Stoeger Uplander 20ga(3")would do wonderfully. The deluxe version is pretty as well/
They feel/handle extremely well, remember having that type receiver even a 28" will be like a 22" pump length wise.
So a 26" would be like a 20" pump :wink:
Bottom line-----when needed to action quick/less to remember the better(open er/shove 2 in/slam it shut/safe tab off-----BOOM/BOOM
And for you fun shooting/hunting upland stuff nothing sweeter than a slim light double.

http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?gid= ... earchdata=

ps------they also break apart extremely easy and quick to a nice little short compact unit stuffed in a small carry bag for traveling to and fro??????? Like for protection say while staying at a hotel etc??????????
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I'll second Hobie's 870 and suggest the youth model.

Be sure to get a couple of hours of training with it from a self defense trainer. A shotgun must be aimed. It's not a "scattergun".
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

if looking for an inexpensive pump 20 ga.
you'd do well to check these.

http://www.shotgunwarehouse.com/categor ... otgun.aspx

time tested and all, ya know. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Last Year I was visiting Cabela's, and on the used SG rack was a Winchester model 37 12 ga. single barrel 30". The piece was in excellent condition except for the small dent six inches from the muzzle. It now sports a 20" cylinder bore cut off barrel. I paid $100.00 out the door for the piece. It also came with sling swivels.
I use it for home Defense, the piece resides by the Front door.

In a stress encounter I doubt you would have time to get off more than one shot.
Re; The 18 year old Widow last week, killed the perp with a Double SG. One shot is all it took.
She killed one and the other fled for his life.

A Pardner SG is a good piece if it is the older model, before 1972. The newer models have the hammer Xfer safety bar like the Rugers. This Xfer piece has a habit of breaking, thus rendering the piece useless till it is replaced. I would not bet my life on a Pardner SG in any gauge.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you look on youtube there is a video of Clint Smith using N H&R single shot in a self defense role. Use what you have and like and drill,drill,drill.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I will add my 2¢ regarding a pump shotgun for HD. It is not my first choice, nor second or third. Everyone who has taken real training in home defense scenarios on various platforms will tell you that compared to other platforms the pump shotgun is very very hard to manipulate with a flashlight in hand, follow-up shots around corners, and while reloading on the fly.

For HD, my first choice by far is a full size semi-automatic pistol that fits you. They are easy to manipulate, easy to become proficient with, easy to secure from children, easy to shoot, easy to reload, and extremely reliable.

My second choice would be a semi-auto carbine (short, light rifle) with box magazines supplied with ammunition selected for inside the home.

Perhaps my next choice would be a Remington 1100 20 gauge with an 18 1/2" barrel.

As was shown in the two most recently reported self defense news stories, the homes of young mother in OK and the young boy and his sister in NC were invaded by multiple attackers. Had the accomplices not fled, the shotguns may have come up short on ammo.

Do a google search for " home invasion men " and refine it to " news " and you will see that most home invasions are planned and executed by multiple attackers. Get some training, the right self defense weapon for you and have a plan for yourself and your family in case of emergencies.

Here's a site written by a woman for women on just this topic: www.corneredcat.com

Congratulations on thinking about taking responsibility for your own safety. If you ever were, you are not now and will never be a sheep.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is I girl's first effort by herself shooting a S&W model 36 Snubbie and a 686 both with 38 Specials at 6 to seven yards. The only two she missed came in the last 5. She thought the Chiefs special becomes uncomfortable after a while. No kidding. She also went out and fired it at night to see what the affect of the fireball might be on vision and now knows what it would be like to fire it in the dark. I thought this was a quite a good effort with two guns new to her right off the bat.

I told her that she has demonstated that she can capably use the hardest weapon to shoot accurately. Since the beginning of Oct she has learned to use the 10/22, Mossberg 500 410, a Savage 94B single shot 410, a Benelli Legacy 20 guage, a Colt Govt 380, a Browning Buckmark 22, a S&W Chief's Special and a S&W 686. She has done this on her own and by herself (with some coaching and discussion from 1800 miles). She has been very serious and thoughtful about saftety and brought up things I never thought of. She has also read and studied a number of sources and appreciates all the willing help she has gotten.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Indianagirl wrote:Good morning all, I would appreciate your input on a H & R Pardner 20 Gauge Compact pump.
I would recommend the mossberg 500 for reliability and versatility. The military issues versions of it.

I agree with the poster who posted the stats on most invasions involving multiple targets. Around here they are likely armed with shotguns.

For this reason I concur that a high capacity handgun might be the better choice, or a good pump repeater shotgun, or preferably both.

My own strategy has become to rely on the high-capacity handgun as primary for the house and car. It's always on me, I don't have to try to find it in a high stress adrenalyn dump situation. But it is also comforting to have the shotgun available as an option.

I hope you persue this and become armed and competent in your own defense.

Best,
Grizz
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think some have confused the two guns.

H&R Pardner...

H&R Topper

FWIW, we see a LOT of the single-shots sold and resold well used but few need repairs until abused and plumb wore out. The biggest problem is breaking the trigger guards in COLD weather. HOWEVER, the pumps are seldom sold and come in more often for repair.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Indianagirl wrote:Good morning all, I would appreciate your input on a H & R Pardner 20 Gauge Compact pump.
I've got one of the NEF Pardner pumps, it's the 12 ga home defense version. (H&R and NEF are the same company) It's very nearly a direct clone of the Remington 870, which is the standard by which all other pump shotguns are measured.

My NEF was purchased used, very cheap. They do not hold their value well at all, if that is a consideration? My NEF functions flawlessly and I have no problem using it in the home defense role, I have several 12 ga pumpguns in various room throughout the house and this is one of them, the others are all Remington 870's.

If you're going to use any shotgun for home defense, it needs to be as short as possible. The reason for this is maneuverability in tight spaces, like hallways, closets, bathrooms, etc. A long barreled field gun is awkward in tight spaces.

The only buckshot load that I'm aware for the 20 ga uses #3 buck, which will work fine, but it isn't nearly as common or easy to find as 12 ga buckshot loads.

If you are willing to train and practice with it, a handgun is also a good choice for home defense. The biggest advantage to the handgun is it's small size, you can have a handgun in one hand with a wireless phone calling 911 in the other. Can't do that with a shotgun.

All this said ... when I bought a home defense gun for my daughter, I bought a Remington 870 youth model with a 21 inch barrel. I also bought her a few boxes of #3 buckshot for it. She uses this gun to shoot clay pigeons with and occasionally is able to go bird hunting. It does double duty as a field gun for her. The Pardner Pump 20 ga compact is very similar and would be a good choice for you.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I love 20g, my 870 gets used more than my fancy 12g auto these days.

You get what you can afford and have some fun with it.

Unless you already have IG try to get a try of one or other.

Don't get to hung up on HD loads, being shot with a large hunting type shot (5,4,3,2,BB) is going to give you a voice! Just don't expect the first shot to end it totally but I guess OS has already told you that!

God bless.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nath, I have both and I almost always use the 20 Gauge. And, she has thought of things I haven't about this and I am sure you will too. We did talk about the ability of the 22 or 38 to be effective with multiple rounds even though they might not be as convincing as a load of shot.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

OS brings up a good point. If you have somebody who is VERY recoil sensitive (perhaps has a defibulator), untrained with handguns, etc. a Ruger 10-22 with the 25 rd mag might the ticket. But that wasn't the question, was it.

Now about the Pardner, we've sold so very few (I think 1 in 4 years) that I didn't think of it being an 870 copy BUT we've had several brought in for repair or to be returned to the factory, according to our gunsmith.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Old Savage wrote:Nath, I have both and I almost always use the 20 Gauge. And, she has thought of things I haven't about this and I am sure you will too. We did talk about the ability of the 22 or 38 to be effective with multiple rounds even though they might not be as convincing as a load of shot.
A 22M revolver would be good!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I agree and that has been part of the discussion. As would a 22 lr. Main interest here was the reliability and quality of the NEF Pardner. I did not even know they existed.

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The Remington 870 Youth 20 gauge is a good choice. I see used ones around here very reasonable. I know where there is one in a pawn shop right now that could be had cheap I am sure. It looks good.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Hobie wrote:OS brings up a good point. If you have somebody who is VERY recoil sensitive (perhaps has a defibulator), untrained with handguns, etc. a Ruger 10-22 with the 25 rd mag might the ticket. But that wasn't the question, was it.

Now about the Pardner, we've sold so very few (I think 1 in 4 years) that I didn't think of it being an 870 copy BUT we've had several brought in for repair or to be returned to the factory, according to our gunsmith.
Other than the barrel, almost all the parts from the Pardner will interchange with the 870. The Pardner has a longer magazine tube and the barrel ring is located nearer to the muzzle.

These guns are often sold at well under $200, Academy recently had them on sale for $169. I have heard of shooters using them for 3 gun matches and not having any problems.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I have used shotguns on the job and trained other officers to use it. We had 870 Remingtons, various barrel lengths, etc. With most women I have found if you can adjust the stock to fit the individual shooter they can really make any shotgun talk nice. Most shotugns have a length of pull too long for short or lightly built females. I cut some older stockes down to length of pull on the 870's to about 12 and 1/2 inches, reinstalled the recoil pad. The female shooters loved as did shorter maie shootes. I also advise the new shooters with no gun experience to play with a safe gun and remove the strangeness, it builds confidense and they will drastically improve their performance. The 12 guage is brutal with most buck shot, but often all that is available. Never could never could convice the higher ups to offer shortened stocked shotguns to the female officers. Practice, practice and more practice if possible. Good luck.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

well that is it - if it is not quality reliable it is out if I have to send her the difference. Drinking some champagne here but you can hold me to it and I know you will. :)

Indianagirl
Levergunner

Post by Indianagirl »

Thank you all soooooooo much. Some of you brought up things I never would have thot of, and others confirmed thots I already had. All in all, it just tells me I am on the right track.
My dad used to say..."always get the best you can afford"...and listening to you guys, I could almost hear him chuckle. (getting a bit mistyeyed here) :roll:

Anyway, I certainly have my homework infront of me and a list of things to check out.... I won't bore you with the details of my list....of course the 870 youth....and then I'm curious about the stoeger uplander and my list just gets longer and longer (yipppeeee I love trying out new guns) :D
When I posted my question, I had no idea what to expect....you guys are wonderful, I couldn't have asked for a better response...

So THANK YOU ALL!!!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You've got a good, knowledgeable friend in OS. Best to you!
Sincerely,

Hobie