OT - Killer Fish Terrifies Britain

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Killer Fish Terrifies Britain

Post by don Tomás »

Here you go, Nath and the other folks across the pond. Forget those prissy foxes, here's real fodder for your leverguns... :D
Tom
(Better get Tia a bayonet or something similar to dispatch these things when retrieving...:shock:)

Killer Fish Terrifies Britain

Psycho Predator Is Sid Fishious (Sun Headline)

A SAVAGE fish more terrifying than a piranha has been caught in Britain for the first time — sparking fears of a deadly invasion.

The vicious giant snakehead EATS everything it comes across and has even been reported to KILL people.

The monster — from south-east Asia — has a mouth crammed with fearsome teeth, can “crawlâ€
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No worries.....that's me Ex....she said she'd be back for the Derby.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's great news, if we have man eating fish over here they might give us back our handguns for protection! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Oh WOW :shock:
That is one mean looking bugger
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

There was just a TV show on one of the bug channels about these fish a few days ago, claimed the giant snakeheads can get to FIVE feet!

Seems they get released by aquarists, ?sp, and they get illegally imported for food from Asia, and some then get released into local waters.

Fish and Game depts. are terrified of them, and what they may do to the native environment.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When I was a full time gamekeeper, I had two miles of trout stream to look after. We electro fished it once to get rid of the course fish and a big Pike escaped. It made the mistake of coming to the surface by a bridge just as I was crossing, I was carrig a Winchester S/B 20ga at the time and that was the end of the Pike! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

yeah, what GK said +1 :wink:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

1. Catch
2. Fillet
3. Cornmeal/breadcrumbs/egg dip/beer batter/what have you
4. Fry 'til golden brown
5. Pop a cold one
6. Turn on the football game (football, not soccer)
7. Enjoy

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

use the teeth for tooth picks :D :D
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I've also read reports they can grow to 5'. I lived in Crofton, MD, where they first saw these a few years back. They did poison the pond there (not a "lake" as reported in the British papers) in an effort to contain them. But now, they have spread to the Potomac River, they think by crawling over land to the Little Patuxant (I think that's the correct one), which runs behind Crofton. Initially, the fears were that they would wipe out all the bass, but that hasn't come to pass. There's still a bounty on them, and a year or so ago, about 60 of them were turned in in one day. Not much in the news of them since.

Apparently, they are a good fighting fish, and a good eating fish (they're imported by Asians for that purpose). They are aggressive, and there have been reports of the larger ones attacking small boats, but I've never heard anything of them eating a person. I also have never heard of snipers setting up on the bank to shoot them (it's not like they hang out on the surface). Seems like more sensationalist reporting.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That is a nasty little bugger!
moxgrove
Levergunner

Post by moxgrove »

ther were a couple of snakehead movies on the sci-fi channel about snakeheads. One nice thing. They can't survive in the frozen tundra.
moxgrove
Levergunner

Post by moxgrove »

man why do people have to bring those foreign critters in? Snakeheads, Zebra mussels, english sparrows. those flying carp in the Missouri river. I do like the pheasants though!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I want to hang with pharmseller. Sounds good. 1886.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

pharmseller wrote:1. Catch
2. Fillet
4. Fry 'til golden brown
5. Pop a cold one
7. Enjoy

Quinn
:D Rx missing one:
1. Catch
2. Fillet
4. Fry 'til golden brown
5. Pop a cold one
7. Enjoy
8. Repeat as necessary
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

GK

Call me an old cynic, but this government wouldent give us back our handguns if Godzilla was hooked in the Thames.

:cry:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

before you know it the petas will have it on the endangered species list, nothing like a vaccuum-head to fix stuff up for us..,
32-20
Levergunner

Post by 32-20 »

WOW, I 'm surprised to learn they still allow fishing in G.B.( Just kidding my Grandparents are from St. Helens.)
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

This whole Snakehead paranoia is 95% hyperbole which is great at selling papers but little else. These fish have been in Hawaii's freshwater streams, rivers, and lakes for over a century and a half brought over with immigrant Chinese in the mid 19th century. Hawaii has the perfect year-round weather and habitant for these buggers to reproduce so you would think with all this time they would have taken over the islands, but not the case at all not even close. In Lake Wilson on the island of Oahu we have Smallmouth, Largemouth, and Peacock Bass, long with Channel Cats, Oscars, Tilapia, and yes Mr. Snakehead. I have fished Lake Wilson pretty extensively and the most common catch for me has been Largemouth Bass, and Peacock Bass, but very few Snakeheads. Snakeheads are by far the tastiest freshwater fish in Hawaii, wish I could catch more but sightings and catches are few and far between. I believe the Bass do more damage to the baby Snakehead population than vice versa. I once saw a 4' Snakehead floating dead with a large Tilapia stuck in it's throat, this fish had choked on it's last meal. These fish are tropical and may reproduce if let go in spring and have babies by fall but they all die off at first freezing.
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT - Killer Fish Terrifies Britain

Post by Ysabel Kid »

don Tomás wrote: Snakeheads caused chaos when they were found in America in 2002, with snipers setting up on banksides to shoot them and entire lakes being poisoned to kill them.
I miss all the fun!!! :(
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Ganjiro,
Thanks for the plain talk
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

Wow...is that all they have to worry about.....come over here to Australia...we have spiders that would eat those critters...
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

...we have spiders that would eat those critters...
I'd heard that. Along with some pretty serious snakes that don't rattle...
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

GANJIRO wrote:This whole Snakehead paranoia is 95% hyperbole which is great at selling papers but little else. These fish have been in Hawaii's freshwater streams, rivers, and lakes for over a century and a half brought over with immigrant Chinese in the mid 19th century. Hawaii has the perfect year-round weather and habitant for these buggers to reproduce so you would think with all this time they would have taken over the islands, but not the case at all not even close. In Lake Wilson on the island of Oahu we have Smallmouth, Largemouth, and Peacock Bass, long with Channel Cats, Oscars, Tilapia, and yes Mr. Snakehead. I have fished Lake Wilson pretty extensively and the most common catch for me has been Largemouth Bass, and Peacock Bass, but very few Snakeheads. Snakeheads are by far the tastiest freshwater fish in Hawaii, wish I could catch more but sightings and catches are few and far between. I believe the Bass do more damage to the baby Snakehead population than vice versa. I once saw a 4' Snakehead floating dead with a large Tilapia stuck in it's throat, this fish had choked on it's last meal. These fish are tropical and may reproduce if let go in spring and have babies by fall but they all die off at first freezing.
Good to hear there is still nothing meaner than an American Bass :twisted:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

20cows wrote:
...we have spiders that would eat those critters...
I'd heard that. Along with some pretty serious snakes that don't rattle...
Which ones?......take your pick, there are a few to choose from.... :D
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Yeah, theyhave those here in the US. It started in D4elaware when a little old asian man released two into a small pond. Then they found them in the Delaware River. These are Easern snakeheads.

Now they are finding them all over CA, these are the giant snakeheads.
Apparently, they are smuggled in from Cambodia and Vietnam and sold in asian markets all over the place. When they are sluggish or new ones come in that are fresher, the shopkeepers dump them into rivers and streams.

A fish and game guy, (I forget from where,) tried to see if they really could live for three days out of water, and they could. Apparently, they have a "lung" over the gill area that they can actualy "breath" air. Also, he tried keeping them in a tank but they kept busting out. They are strong!

I say, kill them and eat them before they get too out of hand.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

The Brits should just eat them; it worked to rid the land of blancmanges. :wink:
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.