Marble's or Lyman tang sights?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Marble's or Lyman tang sights?

Post by WyoShooter »

Looking at tang sights for my Puma 92. What are the differences? Lyman looks to be quite a bit less as far as cost is concerned and would like to save some money but if the Marble's sight is really that much better, I'm one for quality and a believer in you get what you pay for. I have seen talk of Taurus sights too.

Jon
"In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marble's or Lyman tang sights?

Post by hightime »

Lymans don't have a windage adjust.
They can be shimmed for sight-in. That's what I have and they work, but that's why they are cheaper.

Owen
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Post by WyoShooter »

hightime wrote:Lymans don't have a windage adjust.
They can be shimmed for sight-in. That's what I have and they work, but that's why they are cheaper.

Owen

Hmmm, that's an expensive windage knob if I go with the Marble's.
"In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Yeah, I thought so too, but maybe if you were to do some longer range target shooting, you might actually want to adjust for a wind, but to just sight-in the brass shims work well. Lyman or Marbles you still might want to shim if the sight doesn't stand up perfect after installation. I dont' know why , but four of my mountings leaned left.

Owen
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I just bought a Winchester 1886 with a Lyman #2..........Terrible sight! No windage adjustment and no room for shims. Very wobbly (but I fixed this issue with an article on my web sight ... www,rvbprecision.com)

I replaced it with a Marble.......no comparison! The Marble has windage, its rock solid, and returns to POI everytime when folded. Well worth the few extra $$.

Marbles

Lyman
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Trust me, the Marbles is well worth the extra bucks.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have several Taurus #62 tang sights on my Rossis and Marlins, and no complaints at all. Unlike the Lyman ones, it has windage adjustment, and unlike the Marble's ones, they only cost $29. The sight is VERY solid, and adjustments seem quite positive and repeatable. Very little 'wobble' - similar or better than the Lymans and Marble's I've seen on guns at gun shows.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

If you're buying current production stuff, get the Marbles. The phrase "they don't make'em like they used to" definitely applies the the Lyman of today.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

What do you mean no room for shims? It looks like the same as any other.

Owen
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Post by WyoShooter »

Thanks for the replies. Decided I'm going to go with the marbles after reading comments and overall like the looks of the Marbles. Going to change out the front sight too. Going with the 1/16th front bead but not sure on the height size and base size measurement. I have a octagonal barrel.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Besides the windage adjustment, the Marbles has a spring loaded setup that clicks as the sight is raised or lowered which allows you to return to the previous setting, versus the Lyman which has no such gauge. The Marbles is definitely a better sight.
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

i have a Lyman tang sight on my Winchester M94. Never had any trouble with it, it's solid. The Winnie is a "one load" gun, I have no need to adjust once it's dialed in. The minor windage adjustment I needed I got by driftin the front sight.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

The Lymans have a spring loaded detent too, although it's not adjustable. I see no need for a windage adjustment, except for real long range target shooting with a spotter for actual wind drift.

Owen