Henry 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Henry 45-70

Post by Beaker »

Henry is showing the new 45-70 steel and blue model on their website now. 8)
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Re: Henry 45-70

Post by Hagler »

Last edited by Hagler on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Is that a Marlin or what? I know it's not, but wow, talk about plagiarism.
Old Law Dawg
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The Henry website says "straight hand grip" but the picture shows a pistol grip. Which is it?
Last edited by 86er on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

kimwcook wrote:Is that a Marlin or what? I know it's not, but wow, talk about plagiarism.

Yup, only thing missing is the loading gate, might be the difference between a lawsuit & none. Its missing the saftey too but thats ok. They also use some sort of transfer bar setup I believe. I thoroughly dislike the front sight/barrel band setup too.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

86er,

The "specs" chart indicates a straight grip, but the ad copy says "pistol-grip":

"Our new Model H010 .45-70 can handle them all. Its receiver is blued steel fitted with an 18.43" round barrel underneath and a tubular magazine of four-round capacity. Its pistol-grip buttstock and steel-capped forend are crafted of beautiful American walnut and cut with checkering to provide a sure grip. The buttstock wears a soft rubber pad to help shooters handle .45-70 recoil from a 7.08 lb. rifle. The model H010 will be factory issued with XS Ghost Ring rear peep sight with blade front. Because the receiver is drilled and tapped, scope mounting is an easy option.

If you need a handy yet powerful lever gun capable of fast repeat shots in the bear country of Alaska, or just a short, light rifle for deer hunting in the mountains of Pennsylvania, our new Model H010 will provide the accuracy and reliability you can count on.
"

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Leverdude wrote:
kimwcook wrote:Is that a Marlin or what? I know it's not, but wow, talk about plagiarism.
Yup, only thing missing is the loading gate, might be the difference between a lawsuit & none. Its missing the saftey too but thats ok. They also use some sort of transfer bar setup I believe. I thoroughly dislike the front sight/barrel band setup too.
They have to use a barrel band in order to use their "thru-the-tube" loading system.

I wonder if that's just an artist's rendering... there doesn't seem to be much "meat" around the breech end of the barrel.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

So what do ya do? Load it like a giant .22 with a removable magazine tube insert? And I agree that the sights are ugly! But, with Marlin soon to be only a memory, I guess this, and the Rossi Rio Grande, will be the next thing for us to seek if we want newly made .45-70 leverguns....

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I wouldn't count Marlin out just yet. I had a nice chat with one of their folks when I ordered new sights for my 1894 project... they don't plan on going anywhere!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:I wouldn't count Marlin out just yet. I had a nice chat with one of their folks when I ordered new sights for my 1894 project... they don't plan on going anywhere!
Then they better get on the schtick. I know they need to get their quality in check, but I wouldn't doddle.
Old Law Dawg
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

i'd buy one in a heartbeat... henry makes good stuff and stands by it!!!
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

They still haven't given in to that whole King's Improvement fad I see.

I'm with Griff, it looks like someone took a bandsaw and cut a chunk out of the front of the receiver for some reason. Surely it won't be produced like that.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Rimfire McNutjob, et al,

Are those picrues of the pre-production .45-70? Maybe. No "King's Improvement" loading gate? It sure looks like they considered it, for the Big Boy:

I prefer the loading gate.

Shawn
ImageImage
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

[quote="Hagler] fitted with an 18.43" round barrel underneath and a tubular magazine of four-round capacity. [/quote]

surely the barrel is not on the bottom? right? :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

The more I look at those pics the uglier it looks....might just be me, but it just don't look right. I know some Henry weapons look real pretty, but I can't see the family resemblance here. :wink:
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Aside from the fact that their copy-writer seems to have been infected simultaneously with bloviation and brain fade, the bottom tube is the magazine, while the top one really is the barrel... The method of attaching barrel to receiver remains a mystery, for now..

Besides its being Ugly, ill-conceived, misbegotten and poorly executed, I can think of few other reasons not to own one..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If it were offered in stainless steel, with injection-molded stocks, it could serve multiple functions, including (but not limited to) heavy rifle for yellowstone wolves and grizzly; drift anchor for Fall fishing on the Yellowstone; all-weather tent pole for water-proof shelter half.. (2 men could bring 2 rifles...), emergency oar for the drift-boat (again, a Pair...) The possibilities are endless...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I'm glad Henry makes guns in the U.S., has great customer service and all that and wish them well, but their products all look to me like something from Mattel or Hasbro, not a serious gun manufacturer. Don't want one.

While I'm at it, I also disapprove of their fraudulent advertising that suggests a connection with the original Henry. (I don't know it they're still doing that.)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yes, they are still doing that...

Have finally concluded that the odd appearance of the front of the receiver is due to a decorative, radiused cut. Wierd lighting makes it look strange.

Still think it's ugly.. Their designers started with a blank page, and THAT is the best they could come up with..??? Too bad the engineer(s) don't have the imagination of the marketing gurus.. CAD-CAM allows much more flexibility than that...
Regards

Buck

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice to see the relief at the forward end o' the reciever, so when the barrel lets go it goes sky ward out the way :roll:

Nath :twisted:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Looks like morphed 336 to me. No thankee. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like that you can unload it without cycling round through the magazine. I would have like it better if the ad-copy was true and it had a "straight hand grip". I think they better price this right to attract ample interest. Their 30-30 is on the high end.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Their website says it costs $799.00. :shock: ...Good Lord, gimme a break.ugly pressed checkering front sight looks like it was a pellet gun from the 60's :? . tube loading like a .22 with a 45-70???..not for Me. I will buy a Rossi any day before this one.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

What are they going to sell for$$$$. How strong are they?? equal to a Marlin 1895 of Ruger loading???Just wishing.afish4570 :?: :?:
afish4570
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I love my Henry .22 magnum, but one of the things I can't get over is the fact that there is no side loading gate. I really don't like loading from the tube, even with rimfires, although I know it is a necessity for the smaller cartridges. I do like the ease of unloading through the tube, but wouldn't switch it for being able to load through the side gate. Now if they would make a rifle that you could do both.......

BTW, the Henry in the pic is not much to look at.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

claybob86 wrote:I'm glad Henry makes guns in the U.S., has great customer service and all that and wish them well, but their products all look to me like something from Mattel or Hasbro, not a serious gun manufacturer. Don't want one.
I hate to say it, but I agree. I just can't get past how cheap looking and nasty some of the their bits are (the front sight and barrel band are simply horrible) and that surely-a-prototype is just flat out UGLY and should never have been allowed to see the light of day until properly finished. The barrel is bigger than the receiver fer Pete's sake.

I'll take a nice Rossi any day over that thing.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Thank the lord for finding a 1895 when I could afford it-that thing is just plain ugggggggggggggly!
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

afish4570 wrote:What are they going to sell for$$$$. How strong are they?? equal to a Marlin 1895 of Ruger loading???Just wishing.afish4570 :?: :?:
They want $800 for that abortion..........not even if they threw a couple of Remlins in with it to use as canoe paddles. :lol:
Looks more like the Rossi Rio Grande except uglier.......a lot uglier. :mrgreen:
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Hagler wrote:Here you go:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm

Shawn
Did they checker that thing with a waffle iron?

Looks ugly & cheap like one of those $200 Chinese (Norinco) made "junk" guns from Canada.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I don't think it's too bad. In fact, I think the sight bases at both ends are what's killing it, aesthetically. The XS sight, while a good thought, looks odd.
A 24" barrel and a full length mag would make me happier, too.
A pump action, fed from beneath, would make me happier than pulling the sleeve out of the loading tube.

Given what I've heard about Marlin these days, I'd be inclined to take a closer look at this Henry, if only just to see if these suspicions hold water.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I love my Henry .22lr, but that .45-70 is ugly. I prefer a loading gate in the centerfire calibers.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

looks like they're buying the rear sight from Andy Skinner
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Quite possibly the ugliest levergun I have ever seen...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

afish4570 wrote: How strong are they?? equal to a Marlin 1895 of Ruger loading???Just wishing.afish4570 :?: :?:
Well... The Marlin isn't rated for the Ruger loading, so that would be wishful thinkin' IMO. And even if they say it it's equal to the Marlin, giveb their other marketing hype, I wouldn't THAT until I saw independent test results! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Buck Elliott wrote:Yes, they are still doing that...

Have finally concluded that the odd appearance of the front of the receiver is due to a decorative, radiused cut. Wierd lighting makes it look strange.

Still think it's ugly.. Their designers started with a blank page, and THAT is the best they could come up with..??? Too bad the engineer(s) don't have the imagination of the marketing gurus.. CAD-CAM allows much more flexibility than that...

Ugly it is.......even the marlin 1895 is a bit ugly compared to the old original 1895 marlin. but these guys are just copying the lines of their first design- the Henry 22- and could have chosen differently.
cable
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Griff wrote:
Leverdude wrote:
They have to use a barrel band in order to use their "thru-the-tube" loading system.

I wonder if that's just an artist's rendering... there doesn't seem to be much "meat" around the breech end of the barrel.

Hadnt thought of the loading thing in regards to the barrel band. Your right about the barrel/reciever junction. Almost looks like the barel OD is bigger than the reciever.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Hagler wrote:Rimfire McNutjob, et al,

Are those picrues of the pre-production .45-70? Maybe. No "King's Improvement" loading gate? It sure looks like they considered it, for the Big Boy:

I prefer the loading gate.

Shawn

Yeah I saw that pic in a gun rag before the gun came out, but when they did come out it lacked the gate. Thats why I said to Griff before that it might be the difference between a lawsuit & not.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The original King's patent, along with any Browning, Winchester or Marlin patents regarding the loading gate have long expired.. There must be another reason...
Regards

Buck

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Buck Elliott wrote:The original King's patent, along with any Browning, Winchester or Marlin patents regarding the loading gate have long expired.. There must be another reason...

Your likely right, I know nothing about such things. But I was thinking they had to make it at least a little different in some way from a Marlin. Could a company just up & start making an exact copy of a current production gun?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Think a minute.. Count all the clones of Colt's 1911 or AR15/M-16..

This behemoth bears little or no familial resemblence to Henry's .22s..
Regards

Buck

airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Buck Elliott wrote:The original King's patent has long since expired.. There must be another reason...
I'd guess it's a manufacturing decision. Eliminates another cut in the receiver, a tapped hole for the loading gate screw,
and the loading gate itself, and an assembly step to install the gate. I suspect Henry or their supplier is expert in turning out the (seamed) outer magazine tubes and the brass inner tubes.Just spec different diameters, assemble and slide a complete magazine into the front of the receiver. Be interesting to see just how their center-fire rifles ARE put togethe.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
You folks are sure being hard about an American made product that nobody has seen or held other than a couple of fuzzy pictures.
Why don't we wait 'til they're out and about to decide whether they're any good....
The Henry doesn't appeal to everyone, but their customer service is second to none...

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

you are right. they are a good company, and everything i have heard of them suggest they are honorable and hard working folks. i sometimes [ ? most times? ] get carried away on the aesthetics or my own personal taste in function etc. i should be welcoming another american made firearm.
cable
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The "American-Made" mantra doesn't pass muster when the multitude of sins is so eggregious. Between the poor asthetics of the design and the false or misleading advertising, I find myself relunctant to even buy what appears to be a good product of theirs... their little .22. But... the little parts that are plastic on it, also makes me wonder about it's durability. And claims or testimonials about how good their product or customer service is... is also off-putting. I mean really, this ain't a car that needs to go into the shop for scheduled maintenance. The very best of warranties are those that never need using.

Don't get me wrong... I've had to use the "no BS" warranty from Dillon on my reloading machines... but that's after many, many thousands of rounds being produced, or I've lost a small part that is necessary for function. And that, after 20+ years of ownership and use.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Exactly right, Griff... We should never have to know how good their customer service is.. The Best CS Department is the one you'll never need..

The New "Henry" outfit has never had an original idea, in its entire existence.. Their successful little .22s have been with us for many years, and were once marketed by the likes of Ithaca and Germany's Erma Werke, where the gun originated.. The butt-ugly Big Boy is nothing more than purloined Marlin mechanics, cloaked in a heavy, unwieldy husk of clunky brass, and was hyped from the beginning as something it was not, which PO'd a lot of customers and potential buyers..

Now we are offered the .30-30 and the even uglier .45-70, which are unabashed Marlin wannabes.. Personally, I find the omission of a receiver loading gate unforgivable.. We are given to understand that the Henry honchos are old hand in the business, and hunters and shooters.. I contend that they never hunt too far from the porch, in Brooklyn, of all places..

I owe them no loyalty or allegience, simply because they are an American company.. So was Winchester.. Remember them..? IMO, Winchester and Marlin, and many other, now-forgotten firearms manufacturers went to great lengths to provide America's hunters and shooters with the products we wanted and needed.. The bunch from Brooklyn wants us to believe they are smarter than we are, and that they know best what guns we want... Not Hardly...!

They have a manufacturing facility and a cadre of workers there, and they couldn't take the time and effort to showcase a prototype that was fit and finished to perfection..? Gimme a break...!
Regards

Buck

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Buck Elliott wrote:Think a minute.. Count all the clones of Colt's 1911 or AR15/M-16..

This behemoth bears little or no familial resemblence to Henry's .22s..

Yeah I suppose your right. Even their 22s are previously made guns. I just cant figure a reason NOT to use a loading gate. On another note I tend to agree with everything you & Griff just said. To ME tradition is important & lieing in an attempt to adopt a tradition thats not yours is about as wrong as it can be. But I did buy my youngest boy one of their little 22 leverguns. Its good for what it is & I have no complaints beyond the plastic & alloy parts, which I knew about anyway. I doubt I'd buy one for myself but its a good cheap gun for a 10 year old to beat around the woods with.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Buck Elliott wrote:Exactly right, Griff... We should never have to know how good their customer service is.. The Best CS Department is the one you'll never need..

The New "Henry" outfit has never had an original idea, in its entire existence.. Their successful little .22s have been with us for many years, and were once marketed by the likes of Ithaca and Germany's Erma Werke, where the gun originated.. The butt-ugly Big Boy is nothing more than purloined Marlin mechanics, cloaked in a heavy, unwieldy husk of clunky brass, and was hyped from the beginning as something it was not, which PO'd a lot of customers and potential buyers..

Now we are offered the .30-30 and the even uglier .45-70, which are unabashed Marlin wannabes.. Personally, I find the omission of a receiver loading gate unforgivable.. We are given to understand that the Henry honchos are old hand in the business, and hunters and shooters.. I contend that they never hunt too far from the porch, in Brooklyn, of all places..

I owe them no loyalty or allegience, simply because they are an American company.. So was Winchester.. Remember them..? IMO, Winchester and Marlin, and many other, now-forgotten firearms manufacturers went to great lengths to provide America's hunters and shooters with the products we wanted and needed.. The bunch from Brooklyn wants us to believe they are smarter than we are, and that they know best what guns we want... Not Hardly...!

They have a manufacturing facility and a cadre of workers there, and they couldn't take the time and effort to showcase a prototype that was fit and finished to perfection..? Gimme a break...!

BINGO.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Buck Elliott wrote:Exactly right, Griff... We should never have to know how good their customer service is.. The Best CS Department is the one you'll never need..

The squeaking of the wheels on the wagon you'd need to drag that butt ugly abortion around will scare the deer away.

You could get a Rossi Rio Grande for half the money and get a smooth running levergun that you could stand to look at.

The checkering looks like a 5 year old did it with a pocket knife.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER