Found an interesting .38-55

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Found an interesting .38-55

Post by oldgerboy »

I went along with a buddy to a shop I had never visited and found an interesting .38-55. It is a conversion done on an older 336. The action is smooth and the barrel appears to be 26 inches with the contour similar to a featherweight Model 70 Winchester. It looks like it has been around for a while in this configuration. I seriously thought about getting it for the action and wood and putting another barrel on it but 250 is a bit much for what I was thinking.

I even know the fellow who did the conversion. He's been building rifles for about 20 years on an advanced amature basis. I tried calling him but he's working a swing shift and was not home. If there is any interest here I could try to get to try it out.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

$250 for a 38-55 lever?
Man I would get it and keep it the way it is.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Considering what 336 Marlins go for, if a guy didn't want one in .38-=55, then it would be better to buy a different one. This one sounds like one that should just be purchased and enjoyed as-is.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

JReed wrote:$250 for a 38-55 lever?
Man I would get it and keep it the way it is.

+1 :D
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

You will never lose any money if you purchase that firearm!!!! Buy it, enjoy it and sell if fo a couple hundred more than you paid for it!!!!If that was here where I could get my hands on it, I would work up a trade real fast!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Sounds like good deal, and a rifle to be enjoyed as it is... Have you bought it? I would!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is not too much around here. I'd have begged or borrowed the money if need be.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Wish I was in that store with you J. That 336 would be sitting in my safe. Might want to go back and see if it is still there. Regards. 1886.
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Found an interesting .38-55

Post by H_Talon »

oldgerboy wrote:I went along with a buddy to a shop I had never visited and found an interesting .38-55. It is a conversion done on an older 336. The action is smooth and the barrel appears to be 26 inches with the contour similar to a featherweight Model 70 Winchester. It looks like it has been around for a while in this configuration. I seriously thought about getting it for the action and wood and putting another barrel on it but 250 is a bit much for what I was thinking.

I even know the fellow who did the conversion. He's been building rifles for about 20 years on an advanced amature basis. I tried calling him but he's working a swing shift and was not home. If there is any interest here I could try to get to try it out.
Hmmmm that might be worth doing ... wonder what he would charge
to convert a 336, 30-30 to 38-55 ... could it handle the heavy loads ????
would it be safe ???? just a thought !!!!!!

Talon
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

H_Talon,

A 336 in .38-55 can push 250 gr. at about 1900-2000 fps at .30-30 pressures. The big concern is the bore and how the chamber is cut. Still, at $250 those concerns aren't beyond an economic fix.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I have to chime in with agreement that $250 for a Marlin 336 chambered in 38-55 is a good deal. I can't think of any big or medium game in the lower 48 that rifle would not be ideal for.

And if it is as well put together as it sounds like it is, I'll bet she is a tack driver.

Wm
10gaOkie
Levergunner

Post by 10gaOkie »

I have a 1957 336, 30-30 sporting carbine that I have been saving to send to Jesse Ocumbaugh in Oregon, to have him chamber and rebore to 38-55. Jesse's guns have a .375 bore, not a .380 bore like most 38-55s. This causes reloading headaches. You can shoot either .375 Win or 38-55, jacketed or cast bullets in his rebored guns.
My '57 336 cost me $240 two years ago and I got a bargain on it.
Jesse's rebore job is $140. Shipping both ways is about $45. So that's $425. total I will have in my 38-55 when finished. Your gun at $250. is a steel if it's in fairly good shape. I would buy it for that, sight unseen.
Chris