Cowboy Action Shooting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DBCinID
Levergunner

Cowboy Action Shooting

Post by DBCinID »

How many of you do the cowboy action shooting? I just started to read about it and it looks like a lot of fun. Besides, what an excuse to buy more guns. None of the guns I have currently fit the rules, so if I understand correctly I would need 2 revolvers, a lever gun and a shotgun. What would be good "novice" guns? I think I would like to use 45 long colt rather than 357/38. Any expereiences with CAS are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting

Post by Griff »

I have lots of CAS (cowboy action shooting) experience. In golf, I'd be termed a "duffer". I play at competing. I used to compete seriously, but still didn't WORK at competing.

But, I have been doing this since 1985. I've been involved in the running of 3 clubs, and started one in TX in 1991, organizing shoots in the DFW since 1990. The one piece of consistent advice I will offer is to get yer carcass out to a local match before you spend a dime. The one discouraging thing I've seen and have tried to advise folks to avoid is deciding in advance what guns and caliber you want to shoot before you go to a match.

I've watched folks buy their guns before they ever attended a match... (not to mention clothes and accroutements), and decide after one match that the game ain't for them... or their gear... well... sucked. Go to the SASS Affiliated Clubs website and find a club (or two) near you. Contact the folks listed and make arrangements to visit while a match is in progress. Tell them you're new, and considering joining. I'd be shocked if they didn't fall all over themselves in an attempt to thrust guns, gear and ammo on ya to get you shooting that first visit. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but I have seen it happen. Few folks leave the range without at least shooting one stage after the match with guns that folks have there. Sometimes there'll be several different choices for you to sample.

THAT experience will tell you more about what guns YOU'd like than all the typed words in the history of SASS about the various attributes of those guns.

Lastly, don't sell the .38Spl short in the realm of speed competition... which is what SASS is about... as I could name the winners of major matches on one hand that have used the .45Colt to do so. Don't get me wrong... it's what I use, but then you won't find my name in the winner's column... :mrgreen: Well... ok, you could dig back thru some VERY old newsletters and find that I garnered my fair share of category wins using a .45Colt in the Frontier Cartridge category (black powder cartridges). But to do so today... you'd have to pull out all the stops and use all the tricks to load 'em so that you could compete with the "fast" folks.

CAS was described to me by one of the founders as a "shooting match within a costume contest." Contestants concentrate on either or both, their shooting or their costuming. Or they don't and just have fun shooting the guns of the late 19th century. You can be as serious as all get out, or you can be as laid back as you want. The rules allow a wide range of lattitude in meeting said rules.

It ain't the "most fun you can have with your clothes on"... (that's reserved for mounted cowboy shooting), but it's as addictive as all get-out, and don't be surprised if it takes over your life.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Great advice from Griff. Go to some matches and see what folks are using. In many cases, folks will let you try their guns, and will certainly share ideas and experience with you. Generally speaking, the 38spl rules. Ruger's are very popular, and the Uberti 1873 rules for the rifle. While many folks use the pump Winchester 97 in both original and clone versions, the SXS shotgun in 12 gauge has become the "go to" shotgun for many. That said, choosing guns is kinda like picking girl friends; everyone's taste is a little different. :wink: Thoughts from another old duffer! :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizzly Adams wrote:While many folks use the pump Winchester 97 in both original and clone versions, the SXS shotgun in 12 gauge has become the "go to" shotgun for many.
What's funny about that is that I've seen it come full circle. In the '80s and early '90s the double couldn't be beat for speed. Then in the mid '90s came a couple of shooters (from TX & CO) with a different loading technique for the 97... many folks adopted it and seemed to be faster. And if your hands are big enough, or you're not very dexterious, you CAN be a shade faster with a '97. However, what's happened is that folks are now breaking their 97s on an all too regular basis and find that the reliability of the double is an definite advantage.

It's that same old adage, what you practice is what you'll get good at. The 97 is easier to learn to load fast, but the double is far more reliable and not all that much harder to get good at. I went head to head against a guy with a Benelli pump riot gun with my double, 16 rounds, both started empty... I was done while he was still loading his second group of 8. Heck no... I didn't tell him about holding four in his off hand and loading them over the top... we're talking braggin' rights!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DBCinID
Levergunner

Post by DBCinID »

Griff & Grizzly Adams,

Thanks for your thoughts. I like hearing from those that have gone and done it before. Saves a lot of time and money. I will look up the groups around here. From what I know, the Boise area has a fair number of CAS folks. I know the gun range I go to has a little western town built just for CAS events.

I am a S X S fanatic now, have two as field guns. Like the idea of them for competition too. By the rules, does a S X S have to have external hammers like a coach gun?

Thanks for the help and any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Don
ChuteTheMall
Levergunner

Post by ChuteTheMall »

DBCinID wrote: By the rules, does a S X S have to have external hammers like a coach gun?

Not unless you choose to compete in the Classic Cowboy category.
Most of us choose the age-related categories, where costume rules are much looser, but I still use a TTN hammered SxS.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Lots of fun Pard!!! I have been at it just a couple of years but am HOOKED for sure!! :D :D :D

My handle is "Chuck Wagon Chuck" SASS # 88123

My club shoots (CAS) every second Saturday and with other clubs you could shoot a couple times a week within reasonable driving distance. Some do, I don't have the means or stamina to shoot that much. :wink:
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I just got involved within the last few months. Have shot in two matches. I'm here to tell ya, the most fun I've had at a shooting match EVER! And I've shot just about every type of shooting competition there is.

Lots of shooting, not difficult targets, great folks...........the dress-up is fun.

I suggest everyone that can appreciate a SAA and a Lever action rifle should give it a try!

I've written some articles on the stuff I built for CAS on my web site

www.rvbprecision.com
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com