Pearl Harbor Dec. 7 1941, Drafted Feb. 1942

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Pearl Harbor Dec. 7 1941, Drafted Feb. 1942

Post by Shrapnel »

My dad grew up on a homestead on the Musselshell in Eastern Montana, never getting past the 8th grade. He worked hard his whole life, never asking for anything he didn't deserve. He was born in 1910, survived the depression through his twenties, his prime of life. The depression abates, Hitler has invaded most of Europe, then Japan bombs Pearl Harbor.

At 31 years of age he is drafted into the Army and is sent to the Philippines to fight a people he had never heard of. I asked him years ago, if he had ever heard of the Philippines, let alone know where it t was, he told me no.

He went, asked no questions, served and was honorably discharged in November, 1945. Returning to Montana, he found the ranch he had worked for had been sold, his job didn't exist anymore. Instead of looking for government assistance, he found a job and continued on with life without complaining. He married my mother in June 1949 when he was 38 years old, starting a new life many did at almost 20 years younger.

I have always admired my father and thousands like him that went, served, returned and still went about life, never blaming anyone for the lost 3 1/2 years of his life. This is a picture of him in the Yellow Mules, near Big Sky, Montana in 1940...

You can see why we won the war...

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pearl Harbor Dec. 7 1941, Drafted Feb. 1942

Post by BenT »

Thanks you for sharing that story. I could say the same for my father , only it was Korea.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BenT wrote:Thanks you for sharing that story. I could say the same for my father , only it was Korea.
Ditto, it was WWII, and he was only 17 when he joined. But as he would say, life in the Navy was far better than farming. Tho', he never gave up having a garden. He served as part of the gun crew aboard the "Liberty" ships taking supplies to England.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

double ditto.
wwII 22 years old. army air corps belly gunner on a b17.
whs.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pokey on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hard to believe it has been 70 years.

My uncle served in the 29th ID, 116th, and landed with them on Omaha Beach during D-Day. He was there through the end of the War in Europe, and had the points that he wouldn't have had to serve in the Pacific. Thank God the war ended without the need to invade Japan - for our sake and their's...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for sharing that story and thanks to your Dad and all others who served.

Great photo. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Great story, thank you!
My dad was in ROTC in college on Dec. 7th his senior year, and as soon as he graduated in the summer of '42 he joined the US Army Amphibious Engineers (the Army's navy). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer_S ... _States%29
He served in the SW Pacific theater in New Guinea, the Philippines, and many islands in between as well as occupied Japan after the war. He didn't talk much about the war years but I did get a large box of his V-mails he wrote home to his parents, and his sister that they had saved all these years. These are treasures that let me see into the mind of a young man at war. Great reading.

My dad front row very right.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The Greatest Generation for sure. Great picture and story...thanks for sharing.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Great story, your Dad was a great man, we need more like that. Humility is in short supply in America these days. We lost my uncle Jack a few years ago. He was a Marine & served in the south Pacific. But you wouldn't know if nobody told you. In his mind he just served his country, wasn't something to brag about or expect special treatment. His country needed him, he gave what he could & went on with his life after he came home. It was hard to even get him to talk about it.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Very cool story.

My dad was 16 when Pearl happened. He tried for months to join up, even got a forged birth certificate. The recruiters were wise to that one though.

Finally when he was 17 he found that the Merchant Marines would take him so off he went. He neglected to let his family know he was shipping out, opps. Was gone for more than a year.

His first trip took him to North Africa. On the way home, in the middle of the Pacific they got into a fight with what was probably the last two of the German commerce raiders. Everybody lost and it took four and a half months in life boats for him and the other six survivors get to land. He had his 18th birthday in a life boat, still a month from landfall. Came home in August of '46.

I can hardly imagine what it was like for him.

Cat
Garneteye
Levergunner

Post by Garneteye »

Dad was stationed aboard the USS Regil in Pearl Harbor. That morning he took the station wagon assigned to the ship to the commesary(sp) to pick up supplies and was headed back when the first attack began. He took cover under a tarp used to cover supplies on the dock, used to laugh about that. After the first wave, he dumped the supplies and used the wagon as an ambulance to carry the wounded to hospital point. I have a picture of him on the 8th, on patrol in downtown Honolulu, written on the back "Worried but not scared -Griff". Spent the rest of the war on the Regil, never in action as she was a repair ship, always behind the front lines.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My Father was from Montana, Fromberg to be specific. When the war broke out he joined the Cavalry and went to Ft. Riley Kansas. When they dismounted the Cavalry and put them in trucks, he went to OCS and spent the rest of the war in the Pacific. When Korea broke out, he went back in.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Uncle won a medal in the Bulge...He was my "dad" since I never had one that was around.
I had a shirttail cousin of some sort on the Arizona.
Last edited by Blaine on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Again, my dad served during WWII, along with both grandfathers and and all of my uncles. Not really surprising as I'm from a "Navy" family. Both grandfathers served in both WWI and WWII. Dad and my uncles in WWII, and for several, Korea, as well.

Dad sorta broke the string. In 1938 just after graduating high school, he wanted to join the Navy. But, there weren't a lot of "vacancies". So, he joined the Army. Served thru 1947 in North Africa, Sicily, and thru France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany.

Dad was the only one in the European/Mediteranian theather, everyone else was in the "Pacific".

The one tie we had to Pearl Harbor was that my mom's dad's last ship was the Vestal (she was a repair ship tied up near the Arizona). Granddad had retired, medicaly, in the middle of 1941. Interestingly, he was "recalled" in January of 1942. However, he never did get to go back to sea. His heart (the reason for the medical retirement) finally gave out in October of 1944. My uncles say he regretted never being able to "avenge" his shipmates.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad