Hunting Knife that is carried with your LeverGun - Buck 119

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nobody

Hunting Knife that is carried with your LeverGun - Buck 119

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Hunting Knife that is carried with your LeverGun - Buck 119

Post by Buck Elliott »

An old Cold Steel Master Hunter, or a Dozier drop point, with a D2 blade..
For woods bummin', I still like a Cold Steel Recon Scout, with its 7 1/2" blade...
My spindly-lookin' Gerber Mini-Magnum will carve the blade off any knife Buck offers... :wink:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I have used a Buck 118 for about 30 years. I have cut up a ton of deer with it and it works fine for me. I usually bone everything I kill in the field and it holds an edge just fine. My old hunting partner was a meat cutter and he reground and reshaped the edge which improved it a lot.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I'm using the Shrade Pro-Hunter, and will try and add pics later.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I ain't a good enough knifesman to use blades that big. I tend to only work with blades of 3-½" or smaller.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Been using one of those Kershaw blade traders with the several blades and the saw blade for several years, but this year with the little bit of hunting I got done, the leatherman Wave I always carry worked well enough. :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I grew up in Camillus, NY--so my knife of choice has always been made by Camillus Cutlery...closed in 2007 :( . I have a good collection of Camillus knives, I usually us a jack-knife (old school)... :)

I should mention that I also like Buck knives--in the end I really like knives... :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gerber,

top two Dozier and Benchmade worked well.

Bear MGC

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Usually Buck 121 ( I don't think made anymore) Sometimes the 119. Also will carry the Ka-Bar once in a while.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Way too many nice knives, and not enough deer.....truth be told, my leatherman would handle anything I shot, with a Cold Steel Voyager 4" lock blade on the side. Stuck the Dozier in the pocket just in case :lol:
Last edited by Blaine on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have used the 119. I like it. Nice classic tool that does the job. Found one on an old trail years ago and carried it a lot until I in turn lost it on the trail. Hope someone found it and is making good use of it. Missed it enough to buy another to replace it. :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Deer hunting I generally just pack my Buck pocket knife. For elk, where I'll be skinning and quartering the critter for the pack out I carry this Randall hunting knife that I bought back in '68. I already posted this same pic last week in the thread on hunting clothes, but here it is again:
KnifeR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I don't have any issue with Buck knives or more specifically the 119. 2 of my buddies use them and they are real workhorses. Personally I don't think the steel Buck uses is bad at holding an adge, it does pretty good actually, but I do find it a pain to get razor sharp again when it gets dull.

Me? I've always used a 5" KaBar and now use a Buck Mini-Vangard.

LK
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

rjf415 wrote:I grew up in Camillus, NY--so my knife of choice has always been made by Camillus Cutlery...closed in 2007 :( . I have a good collection of Camillus knives, I usually us a jack-knife (old school)... :)

I should mention that I also like Buck knives--in the end I really like knives... :)
Just drove by there yesterday , the buildings are going up for auction soon according to the signs :cry: RIP Camillus Cutlery :cry:
Phil
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I use a Kabar 50th anniversary, that replaced the one I used in 'Nam, for the big stuff....a Camillus Stockman & a Buck bird knife #924 for the small stuff.

My main knife is a Gerber folding hunter that also went through 'Nam. All those blades have serviced thousands of game animals over the years, mostly small game & birds. Gotta eat! :lol:

Been watching the "knife show" for a few years...wonder how good Jim Frosts blades are. Anyone know?

Adore cutlery...

LB
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On the Camillus issue. Here a picture like the first knife I bought from Nils Johnson's General store in the late 50s. It as stolen from my car in Davenport, Ia across from the Shrine Auditorium about 1975 - been looking for one like it since. Have one that is close as you can see above. 1095 steel I believe. Kept mine shaving sharp with an oil stone as a kid. Wish they had taken the Buck 112 and left the Model 51. Sad to see Camillus go.

Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I like this Schrade alot, but it is a little big for the job of field dressing.

I use a variety of knives though, most of my deer get dressed with a Chinese Walmart knife with Winchesters name on it. About a 4" drop point blade.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I carry this one for field dressing deer and small game. It is in my truck/BOB all the time unless with me in the woods. It has a laminate blade and holds its edge very well. I have lots of custom knives and I carry many, but when I start working on game, this is the one I currently use. I also have a hunter's axe in my pack with a sharpening stone for heavy work such as pelvis splitting or wood gathering and splitting.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Just to correct my post above about the auction of the Camillus Cutlery buildings . I drove by there again yesterday and the auction was aug 18 th. They went to a local developer ( 3 small towns over in Skaneatles ) going to be a med center of sorts .

Last pics of the old buildings are here from a local paper.

http://photos.syracuse.com/4456/gallery ... index.html
Phil
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I carry three types of knives........

My everyday is a Ken Onion Leek with quick assist opening. Nothing better when you are holding something in one hand and need to open the knife onehanded:

My hunting knife which will be used for cleaning game and skinning is an old traditional "Canadian BElt Knife". Simply none better for the work at hand.

But for Cowboy Action Shooting where the knife is simply for show. I like the "Bigger is better" type knives. Missouri Tooth Picks!

I buy them cheap from Kennesaw Cutlery.com

Top one is Damascus and cost $60 with a nice leather sheath. The other two were $9 each with leather sheath!

I also picked up a couple of "Indian" knives from Kennesaw.

This one with beaded sheath was $26

And this one with the sheath was same price:

I Like Knives!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Same one that is carried with everything else and daily, for that matter. An old Victorinox Hunter that has been rebuilt once in the last 15 years.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rebuilt - tell me about that. I have one of those and just found it again last night.