Guns, etc. and magnets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Guns, etc. and magnets

Post by getitdone1 »

I've always been fascinated by magnets. I suppose it's because they could be looked at as a very simple machine. Too, the pulling force seems nearly like magic. One great use most of us have experienced is for holding doors closed.

I'm now making a protective cover for a farm tractor I restored and am using small neodymium magnets to hold this cover onto the tractor hood, fenders, etc. Using small patches of the cover material attached to the inside of the cover with the magnet enclosed. I know magnets can be harmful to some things like computer monitors, credit cards, cassette tapes, televisions, etc. I assume I will not have a problem using them for my tractor for purpose mentioned. Could they cause problems around the instrument panel or elsewhere?

I learned that neodymium magnets (a rare earth type of magnet) are relatively new and were developed in 1982. They are the strongest type of permanent magnet. I'm using 1/2"x1/8" discs. I believe I've so far used the N42 strength but today I received the N52 strength. The N52 is the strongest rating. Trying to prevent the sliding of my tractor cover with this stronger magnet.

My source for these magnets is K&J Magnetics, Inc. and I purchased from them via the internet. Their strongest magnet, 4"x4"X2", has a pull force of 1200 lbs! This size and smaller can be very dangerous. The much smaller ones I have--esp. this last bunch (N52)-- will pinch your fingers a little when you get them close to each other. Significant force for something so small. They say not to let them get close and bang together because they could fragment on impact and possibly cause bodily harm. I read a true story where a small child being left unattended picked-up a strong magnet and got too close to another magnet and when the two magnets came together they destroyed his hands. Pretty gruesome.

Relative to guns. Have magnets ever been used in some way with civilian or military guns? I wonder if there are uses for magnets we have not yet discovered?

Don
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Guns, etc. and magnets

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I used a rare earth magnet to secure the swing away cheekpiece on this 50BMG rifle.

There was no other way to get high enough to see through the scope and still be able to retract the bolt because of the size of the action.
Jack
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Be careful with a close fitting cover on your tractor if the cover & tractor are exposed to moisture.
Just like a firearm in a canvas case - you could inadvertently retain the moisture & promote rust.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They make magnet 'gun holders' that hold a gun under a table-top or beside a desk, etc., just from the magnet in the mount, to the gun metal.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

For more experimentation, save yourself some $$ and find old computer hard drives. You'll need small Torx(tm) bits if you want to get into it gracefully but inside every hard drive are two of the same style magnets.

And you do have to be careful with analog gauges in a magnetic field. Electromagnetism is how they operate and a magnet may or may not throw them off. However, I would be more concerned about something on an aircraft than a tractor.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I'm more curious of your restored tractor....could you share a picture? For my own part, I have become the second owner of a (running) 1940 Farmall M. It sits in original condition as of now.
:wink:
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

BC in TN wrote:Be careful with a close fitting cover on your tractor if the cover & tractor are exposed to moisture.
Just like a firearm in a canvas case - you could inadvertently retain the moisture & promote rust.
BC in TN,

Yes, retaining moisture is something to be aware of. In the past I've used plastic over the hood and fenders and large plastic bags over the seat, steering wheel and instrument panel with no problem.

Now I'm using bed sheets cut to size, 60% cotton-40% polyester and believe they'll let the moisture through. Tan color so won't show dirt so well and look more like a cover than a bed sheet. Cut to the size I need and then hem edges using a hand-held Singer sewing machine. Neat little machine but I could use some lessons with it. Kinda tedious. Using large pillow cases to cover pre-cleaner and muffler.

During wet weather, like now, I've seen this tractor covered with beads of moisture. Don't like to see this but shed is open with tractor way in the back so air does circulate. Of course enclosed, heated storage would be best.

Going to buy some silica gel for gun cases and maybe place some around instrument panel of tractor. I'm presently leaving butt end of gun cases open and keep an eye on these guns and the humidity reading where they are stored.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

BC in TN wrote:Be careful with a close fitting cover on your tractor if the cover & tractor are exposed to moisture.
Quite true. When I store something under a cover, I add standoffs at various places so that the air can circulate under the cover. Even in a dry climate like Colorado, you need to let the air circulate around covered metal to avoid rust.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

PaperPatch wrote:I'm more curious of your restored tractor....could you share a picture? For my own part, I have become the second owner of a (running) 1940 Farmall M. It sits in original condition as of now.
:wink:
PaperPatch,

See my "Tractor project" post. Your Farmall M is one of the true classic farm tractors. We had a 400 which looks about the same but came later with more power. Now, John Deere really has a kind of monopoly going, but for good reasons. Back in the 50s this was not the case and the Farmalls, Cases, etc. gave John Deere plenty of competition.

Don
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I like to think I have a magnetic personality :lol:
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

jhrosier,

That is SOME gun! Interesting use of magnets. What does that gun weigh? Could you show a complete picture of it?

Don
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

The gun weighs about 35 pounds and is about five feet long.
I shot it only a hundred or so rounds in the 15 years after I built it.
I sold it a couple of years ago and bought a couple of nice leverguns.

Jack
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

Only if you have an "Old Fashioned" Magnetic Compass on the tractor. :D :D :D
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

jhrosier wrote:The gun weighs about 35 pounds and is about five feet long.
I shot it only a hundred or so rounds in the 15 years after I built it.
I sold it a couple of years ago and bought a couple of nice leverguns.

Jack
Jack,

Thanks for that picture. 35 lbs seems to be a typical weight for the 50 BMG guns. Recoil about like a..........?

Did you make complete gun?

Did the neighbors complain? :D

Don
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

getitdone1 wrote:....Recoil about like a..........?

Did you make complete gun?

Did the neighbors complain? :D

Don
Recoil about like a 12ga 3" shotgun. The gun would move about 5-6" in recoil.. the scope eye relief was about 4"..very important to stick your face firmly to the stock and move with the recoil. :o

I bought the action from State Arms and fitted a new stellite lined GI aircraft MG barrel.
I made the muzzle break, fore end hanger and the scope mount in the machine shop where I worked, after hours. I designed the stock with the swing away cheekpiece and it was made from rock maple by a friend.

I shot the gun at the local sportsmans club with no issues. The max range there is only 200 yards.
I had intended to travel to PA to shoot the 1000 yd matches but shortly after the gun was completed the matches were discontinued there. The next closest matches were halfway across the country and beyond where I was willing to travel so the gun sat mostly unused.

Jack
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I seen a guy shooting a 20mm bolt-action on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ft2j6J4NcY

Where does it end?

I would guess that the sniper rifle of the future would be computerized for final sight/target alignment. Shooter specifies general area of target and computer does final alignment and automatically fires the gun when dead-on--or after allowance for elevation and windage. Thus achieving a very high hit percentage.

Don
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

getitdone1 wrote:...Where does it end?...
I suppose it all depends on your tolerance for recoil.
For plinking and range use, mine stops just short of full loads in the 45-70 these days.

Jack