VENT! Shipping Guns with UPS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

VENT! Shipping Guns with UPS

Post by Newtmaker »

Yesterday I received a shipping label from Henry to return my 001TM (22Mag) to Henry because it won't extract fired rounds.
I put the label on the original box , with gun, and took it to UPS. They would not accept it unless I had a FFL. I tried to "splain" to them that I don't need one, as outlined in the ATF rules. They said they didn't care, their rules superseded anyone else's!!!

I called Henry and they are arraigning a "scheduled pickup, tomorrow probably. They said that once they picked it up from me, they had to deliver it to Henry. We will see.

I have returned several guns to the manufacturer myself before with no problems, but I believe I always used FEDEX because I have an account with them.

Walt
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: VENT! Shipping Guns with UPS

Post by J Miller »

Walt,

The UPS person you talked to was and is an idiot. I'm pretty sure you can find their regulation on line and that is not what they say. Print them out, take them to the UPS place and when they cause you trouble just tell them to pony up their supervisors.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Yes, I talked with two supervisors and they showed me their rules, printed by UPS, not the ATF, and so much as told me to "pound sand."

Walt
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I don't know where you took you rifle for shipment, but it is important to keep in mind that UPS requires non-FFLs to take guns to one of their distribution centers for shipment. They will not accept them through one of their stores, nor through an independent vendor. By arranging the pickup, it will be Henry shipping it, not you, and this is at least consistent with their policy. in y case, if I want to ship I must arrange it through a local dealer or take it to the nearest distribution center 30 miles away.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

They are a private company, in business to make money. They do not have to do business shipping firearms at all if they don't want to. If a manager is overly strict in observing company policy, he or she will surely not be punished.

I have had my own difficulties in trying to ship a black powder replica revolver. I chose not to lie (like almost everyone told me to) and ended up paying my ffl to ship it. I lost money on that sale; lesson learned ; don't try to send firearms via parcel post.

I did not argue or vent my irritation at the parcel company employees because I realy could not fault them for acting the way they did. They perceived my business as a risk, even at a distribution center. I realized their policy (in their tiny print) said they COULD do my business, but it did not say that they HAVE to do it. They are hourly workers, just like me, trying to make a living. And I don't make my living selling guns. I will just consign what I want to sell, and leave them alone.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I'v shipped many guns UPS, many Fed Ex & many USPS. They will all accept ir from you. In March I hunted in Oklahoma with a bunch of guys from Marlin Owners. I can legally ship my guns to myself C/O someone in the state I'm hunting. So I went to Fed Ex because in the past they were the least confused about the law & their rules. The counter guy went in back & insisted I ship overnight air. I explained I didn't need to but the girl in the back (who was never courteous enough to come out) shouted that I sure did because they didn't want guns in their system any longer than they had to be there. I thought that stupid since I know they ship many hundreds for dealers across the country. But I just smiled & said ok as I left. Drove around the corner to UPS & the gentleman behind the counter listened to me explain what I wanted to do, looked up the law himself & shipped my parcel for me. Shipping back I tried Fed Ex first & while the counter girl said no a manager walked over right away & took over, shipping my guns no sweat. I usually do print out the policy but didn't because its been awhile since I had any issues. I do think that if they refused to ship a package that their policy says they accept that that employee would get reprimanded if a person followed thru on it. Policy is just that, the way a company is stateing it does business, I know if somebody who worked for me turned business away because he didn't like the customer he'd be looking for a job.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I keep wanting to retire, and form a company that does nothing but ship guns. I always find a reason that stops me!

rimrock
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The whole thing is ridiculous. Gets my blood boiling if I think about it too long. :evil:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Coulda mailed the BP replica.
I've done it several times.
Denis
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

If I have a choice I NEVER use UPS, much prefer FedEx or even USPS when possible. UPS are incompetent, irresponsible boobs as far as most FFL dealers here are concerned leaving guns on front porches or worse yet on your neighbor's porches without even letting anyone know. :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

And UPS is SO expensive! Cost me $95 to ship a SAA 600 miles. Course most of it was insurance but why is their insurance so expensive?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Fed ex requires handguns to be shipped next day, but not long guns.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

M. M. Wright wrote:And UPS is SO expensive! Cost me $95 to ship a SAA 600 miles. Course most of it was insurance but why is their insurance so expensive?
In my experience, most of it is the cost of overnight air, not insurance. If you were shipping anything else of comparable value via UPS Ground, insured, it'd be a lot cheaper. And yes, you do have to ship firearms from a distribution center if you don't have an FFL. If it's a long gun you can use USPS without an FFL. And it's generally quite a bit cheaper than UPS.

You can find a really good summary of the laws, rules & regulations for shipping firearms at Gunbroker.com. Look under "For Sellers."
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

UPS causes too much aggravation for me. I always ship USPS priority insured.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Try FEDEX, instead.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

The UPS truck arrived at 11:00 AM to pick the gun up. Henry came through with another way ship the gun by issuing the pickup order.

Walt
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I had an ejection problem with A Henry Acu-Bolt, called Henry and they sent me a shipping label just like they did you. I simply went to my local gun peddler and looked in his back room for an outer box slightly larger than the Henry box. Put the rifle in the Henry box, put it in the larger box and took it to the local UPS center, handed it to them: The lady said: Oh good, you have it prepaid less work for me and accepted it. She didn't ask what it was and I didn't say anything but thanks. About 4 days later a replacement rifle was delivered to my house. That was a little shocking, I thought they would have to send it to my dealer as it was a different firearm. The new one works great so Kudos to Henry for good service. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Newtmaker wrote:The UPS truck arrived at 11:00 AM to pick the gun up. Henry came through with another way ship the gun by issuing the pickup order.

Walt
Henry will always come through. If Mr. Imperato had to do it himself in his own POV he's do it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

Post office has never really hassled me, though the clerks often have to check with their stupidvisors due to lack of familiarity. :D Last time, I had to sign an attestation form stating that I knew, or reasonably believed, the recipient to be an FFL, which he was. Easy peasy, no big deal.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If I want to ship a firearm UPS, I do to a little private "pack and ship" outfit near my home. They will give it to UPS. There is no forms and no questions there. I just give them the package, pay the bill and I get a receipt and tracking number. Done and over.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

You didn't mention if this was a UPS terminal or one of the franchise stores. the stores are NOT actually UPS employees, but are in fact mom and pop vendors shipping THROUGH UPS, and won't take guns from civilians. A real UPS terminal will if they know their business and to and from a factory is fine., as is to a gunsmith for repair, to an engraver, etc. I've done it many times.
Certified gun nut