Outdoor Channel" The Choice"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Outdoor Channel" The Choice"

Post by bigbore442001 »

I needed to get out of the house today. Sooo I took a long walk to check out some land that I hunt on and pull down a couple of stands. Needless to say I left the lock key for one at home and the other has the ladder portion frozen in the newly flooded ground. So I pulled one stand sans ladder.

After enjoying the walk and checking things out I headed to the clubhouse for an ODouls. ( No Bass Ale until the doc says AOK) and asked the bartender to put on the Outdoor Channel.

The show was interesting in that this one, The Choice, involved hunting Anticosti Island and the host was using a lever action. It was a Browning lever with a scope but I like to see something other than hunting a bean field with a sniper rifle.

I don't know about you, but I would like to see more shows with lever actions as well as other types of firearms. Nice for a change of pace.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The Outdoor Channel has started carrying the Jim Zumbo Show again. They (The Outdoor Channel) cut the show for awhile but I guess they figure everyone has forgotten what Zumbo said/did or forgiven Zumbo for what he said/did.

Not me. I have complained to The Outdoor Channel and I write (e-mail)every sponsor of the Zumbo show. Have gotten a few responses from a couple of the sponsors and one has not had a spot on the show for the last couple of times.

Some say Zumbo's statements were a mis-speak. Bull, they were thought out and even reinforced when he (Zumbo) said, "I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods."
ED
Yer never too old
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

+1 for more leverguns.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Yep, we gotta stop free speach. Next thing you know people will think they have the right to keep and bear arms or something.

+ 1 for Outdoor Channel & leverguns.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd like to see these guys on the outdoor shows use something other than a Thompson Contender Encore shooting black and sabot bullets. I can't use the Encore nor the sabot bullets in Washington State.

I do like to watch Jim Shockey's show even though he shoots an Encore w/sabots. He takes some risks and seems like a normal guy.
Old Law Dawg
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Yep, I would like to watch some legit hunters using leverguns and hunting public land.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I would too. But then how would they promote the latest wizbang firebreathing magnum if they were only shooting a boring old 30-30? :wink:
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

TedH wrote:I would too. But then how would they promote the latest wizbang firebreathing magnum if they were only shooting a boring old 30-30? :wink:
Good point Ted.
I guess it is all about the money. I really get tired of the "canned" hunts by the old timers like Real Tree Outdoors, Buck Masters, etc. always private land. They hunt for free in exchange for the advertising. I sent a letter to RTO some time ago, I got a nasty gram back. I haven't watched it since. AND I like Mossy Oak better.
:D
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Swampman wrote:Yep, we gotta stop free speach. Next thing you know people will think they have the right to keep and bear arms or something.

+ 1 for Outdoor Channel & leverguns.
While your point IS 100% valid and accurate, there is NO constitutional guarantee protecting you against consequences arising from what you say.

Remember the Dixie Chicks' comment about Bush? It cost them, at least for a while.

He has the right to say it and his sponsors have the right to agree or disagree.

Funny thing, that first amendment! 8)
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Normally I don't watch these shows a lot. The bar was pretty much empty so I wanted something on. I tend to dislike how these shows are set up on private ranches and game farms. To me many of the shows do not portray real hunting. At least that isn't hunting that I do.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

If they portrayed real hunting, nobody would watch. A one hour show about sitting in a tree seeing nothing wouldn't sell much gear. I really like the old Fred Bear hunting videos myself.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I must admit i am a outdoor channel juncky....
but there are some shows that just .....well...
I rather watch something else ...like gardening on
home and gardening network....I cant stand the set up hunts,
where they show the make believe stalks and shots....
Worst set up show on outdoor channel... is probably buckmasters
my favorite is primos and road trips
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

That's one of the reasons I find Tred Barta so refreshing. He may be borderline shizoid, but at least he seems real. On one show, he went after wild hogs with hounds and a bowie knife. You've got to have good dogs, a good backup, and some large heuvos to do that. Calling coyotes with an archery setup was another interesting exercise. I don't think I've ever seen him in what I would consider a canned hunt.
Well done is better than well said.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Barta states very plainly his distaste for "canned" hunting. On one of his shows he showed the viewers how to find public land amid private reserves. While I think he is sometimes over the top, he does/did hold many world records for hunting and fishing. He also doesn't have outdoor equipment sponsors so he can call a product good or bad honestly. I sometimes laugh at his antics, but he is better than some of the shows you folks mentioned.