38-55 die question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

38-55 die question

Post by pwl44m »

I just bought a Lee 3die set off GB. Now I am seeing Factory Crimp Dies. Do I Really need one or is this just extra revenue for Lee and all the other die makers for that matter. Do Their seating dies not put the proper crimp ?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 38-55 die question

Post by PaperPatch »

Your standard 3 die set will work well for you...and provide all the crimp you need. Good luck with your 38-55 and be sure to share your range report.

:wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd try it first without the FCD (the regular one will crimp - it isn't just a seater-die), but if you aren't happy with the crimp, you can get a 'better' one (opinions vary) with the FCD and backing off the seater/crimper enough to seat-only.

More on the FCD:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If your lee die set was made by them prior to the FCD die's birth, you have a pretty decent shot at having a usable set of dies. If they came after the fcd die came along all bets are off, as you'll likely have to have the fcd die to put any type of crimp on the loaded round.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I don't know if they are new production or what. They are in a square Red plastic box with shell holder and powder dipper. I should have them in a couple days.
Perry
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Mine came with the LFC die but I dont use it much. The seating die has a crimp shoulder just like every other standard seating die does. I'm not fond of the LFC die with cast bullets, I prefer to roll crimp into the crimp groove.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well there are certainly some pros & cons, Likes and dislikes. I am watching 1 that is currently at $10 with $6 shipping.If it doesn't go too much higher I will buy it. I have seen them for a lot more. He also has a set of Lee dies for 38-55 that is at $25. May have to buy them to help offset the shipping. The auction is winding down with O bids after a week. Unless there is a last minute frenzie that sounds like a good price to Me.
@ AJMD, I looked at all those threads cept the 45-70. I do plan on loading cast so I may not need it but if I can get it cheap enough might as well have it just in case.
There also seems to be a difference in cases used. What I have ordered is 100 win and 250 starline. Hope that was the right choice.
14 hours left on the auction, We will see what happens.
Thanks for all the input. Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Went to Mens Breakfast with My Brother this morning. Put a bid on the 38-55 dies and the factory crimp die. Just got home and won both of them. $10-fcd , $26 - 3 die set.
Perry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Perry,

This is a "for what it's worth" report. I have a 30-30 Lee FCD and have only used it a bit.
For jacketed bullets it seems to work good on some, but on others it can't crimp enough to put the case mouth to the bottom of the crimp grove.
So I'm still using the crimper in my seating die.

For the small number of cast bullets I've used the FCD seems to work really good.

I've yet to shoot any ammo crimped with the FCD so I can't comment on that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I bought a Lee FCD for .375 Win. but have gone back to just using the Redding seater for crimps. The Lee FCD I have puts slanted crimps on rounds :shock: , which drives me nuts. I may just toss it, since it ain't worth spending my $$$ on shipping it back for something that should have been right the first time.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Another thing about the 38/55 worth mentioning in regard to the LFC is that the brass comes in several lengths. Most is fairly short & thats what MY LFC die is set up for. It will crimp on the longer brass but the crimp is too long for my liking since there is no adjustment for varying where it crimps. Might even be they use the same one for the .375 & 38/55. At any rate my 38/55 is an old 1893 Marlin & the longer brass works best for me, another reason I dont use the LFC die much for it.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Leverdude wrote:Another thing about the 38/55 worth mentioning in regard to the LFC is that the brass comes in several lengths. Most is fairly short & thats what MY LFC die is set up for. It will crimp on the longer brass but the crimp is too long for my liking since there is no adjustment for varying where it crimps. Might even be they use the same one for the .375 & 38/55. At any rate my 38/55 is an old 1893 Marlin & the longer brass works best for me, another reason I dont use the LFC die much for it.

Lee will make a FCD that will work for the 2.125" brass for about $29.00. They do require a couple of dummy rounds. 1886.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

1886 wrote:
Leverdude wrote:Another thing about the 38/55 worth mentioning in regard to the LFC is that the brass comes in several lengths. Most is fairly short & thats what MY LFC die is set up for. It will crimp on the longer brass but the crimp is too long for my liking since there is no adjustment for varying where it crimps. Might even be they use the same one for the .375 & 38/55. At any rate my 38/55 is an old 1893 Marlin & the longer brass works best for me, another reason I dont use the LFC die much for it.

Lee will make a FCD that will work for the 2.125" brass for about $29.00. They do require a couple of dummy rounds. 1886.

Yeah I know, I just never got around to it &, like I said I find the roll crimp to be just fine. I do need to order one for my 308MX though.