.327 or .44 Spec. Charter Bulldog?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

.327 or .44 Spec. Charter Bulldog?

Post by Triggernosis »

I've got a hankering to try one of the Charter Arms Target models (4" bbl w/ adj. sights) in either .327 or .44 Spec.. To be used as a "field" gun, plinking, dispatching small game, defense against wild hogs, dogs, and impending global warming :roll: . (Sorry, couldn't resist - I work as a meteorologist). FWIW, I already have a reloading setup, though I've never loaded for pistol cartridges, only rifle.
Soooo, .327 or .44 Spec?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .327 or .44 Spec. Charter Bulldog?

Post by stretch »

44 Special. I think you've got more options for ammunition.
Also more options for bullets and brass, should you choose
to reload for it. 327 stuff will not be as common, varied, or cheap.

Besides, the 44 makes a bigger hole in things. 8) This
may be a slight disadvantage for small game hunting, but a
full-house 327 load might scramble your squirrel, too. A 44
loaded up to max gross weight is no slouch, and oughta do
for what you describe. Can't think how you might go wrong
with the 44.

On the other hand, if you just really, really want the 327, don't
let me dissuade ya! :D

-Stretch
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Triggernosis wrote:I've got a hankering to try one of the Charter Arms Target models (4" bbl w/ adj. sights) in either .327 or .44 Spec.. To be used as a "field" gun, plinking, dispatching small game, defense against wild hogs, dogs, and impending global warming :roll: . (Sorry, couldn't resist - I work as a meteorologist). FWIW, I already have a reloading setup, though I've never loaded for pistol cartridges, only rifle.
Soooo, .327 or .44 Spec?
Since you added "wild hogs" in there I would rule out the .327, I like both cartridges but there just isn't enough bullet weight in the 32.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

44 Special. It can do it all from rabbits to hogs if loaded properly.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

bsaride wrote:
Triggernosis wrote:I've got a hankering to try one of the Charter Arms Target models (4" bbl w/ adj. sights) in either .327 or .44 Spec.. To be used as a "field" gun, plinking, dispatching small game, defense against wild hogs, dogs, and impending global warming :roll: . (Sorry, couldn't resist - I work as a meteorologist). FWIW, I already have a reloading setup, though I've never loaded for pistol cartridges, only rifle.
Soooo, .327 or .44 Spec?
Since you added "wild hogs" in there I would rule out the .327, I like both cartridges but there just isn't enough bullet weight in the 32.
^ This ^ (emphasis added)
I've got a couple of .327s and while I think it's a great little cartridge...
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Why not get both?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

We had a 3” 44 Spl many years ago.
When the 327 came out we bought the 4” 327 Patriot to get a Kit Gun in the new chambering.
As with all Charter Arms revolvers the double action feel is a bit different but not unacceptable.
The sights are poor on this revolver - our only real complaint. The front sight is frosted to match the rest of the handgun and not serrated. The smooth flat surface of the front sight causes problem when shooting out in bright sunlight.
The rear sight has too narrow a notch for the width of the front sight.
These problems make accurate shooting with this revolver a challenge. When you get the light right the little revolver shoots very well and compares favorably with our 4” Model 632 S&W in 32 H&R Magnum.

The Patriot is a powerful little revolver with the 115-grain Speer Gold load and I would not hesitate to take on any pig I have encountered in West Texas with this revolver - I have not seen any of over 250 pound hogs others have pictured.

We are pleased with the 327 Patriot but we need to work on the sight.
Slim
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just got done loading 100 rounds of .327 on a single stage Lee press. Used 4.8 grains Universal and a .313 115 grain bullet. The small amount of powder is great. PillHer uses those loads in her SP101 and loves them. The penetration is rather good, and I am not afraid to use it on a hog up to about 150 pounds. Get both revolvers as you can have a lot of fun with both, and they are each ideal for different circumstances.
D. Brian Casady
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Hands down,no question go with the 44 Special.You won't go wrong !!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

.44 Special for me, had one of the original Bulldogs for years until my daughter talked me out of it.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

.44 spl.--great cartridge--Charter Arms is ok, not great, but not bad either--if you beat the snot out of it no problem, actually pretty tough guns for the price...alot of LEO's used to carry the CA Undercover in .38 spl. as a back-up when revolvers were king... :)

PS--ever thought about a .357 mag?
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Both of 'em? I'm not made of money, guys!

Yeah, rjf, I probably should just get the .38/.357 version, but for some reason I wanted something "different".
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

44 Special. It can do it all from rabbits to hogs if loaded properly.
My first reaction was to whole heartily agree with both of these statements but after some thought I'm just not as sure as I was. Seem's to me that a properly loaded .327 has some advantages even against hogs over the .44sp.

Isn't the .327 gonna pentrate better and transmit a good bit more tissue damage/shock due to higher velocity than the .44sp? Much like you see .357 harcast or XTP's being better on game like deer, bear, etc than any .45acp loading out there.

I don't know where the line is when it comes to smaller and faster being better/worse than slow and havy but both have their merits.

LK
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I hope this makes sence, i am reading it back and I think I have my thoughts together...

Penetration depends on the bullet selected. For example, the Lyman 358430 a 190-grain round nose bullet will penetrate an astonishing amount when launched at 700 fps.
I have not tested it but I would wager a 240-grain round nose bullet in the 44 Special would penetrate beyond belief.

The 327 Federal loaded with the 115-grain Speer Gold Dot retains weight and penetrates far deeper than I thought possible for a jacketed/expanding bullet. This load chronographs 1,430 fps from the 4” Charter Arms Patriot and 1,558 fps from the 5 ½” Blackhawk.

I prefer heavier bullets for the heavy frame 327 revolvers. I am using the NEI #76 - 125-grain and the NEI #82 122-grain bullets and these bullets driven above 1,250 fps and kept below 1,450 fps seem to have all the penetration and accuracy I will ever be able to use.

Veral Smith has a very attractive heavy weight LBT bullet and an ogival wad cutter, which seem to be naturals for the 327 magnum in the heavy frame revolvers.

I like the 44 Special but where I hunt there are domestic animals in the same pastures, over penetration and ricochet’s are a concern. It is a balancing act of penetration and expansion. I shoot rather soft bullets for this reason seldom harder than 14 bhn and often in the 10 to 12-bhn range.

I like the 44 Special and the 38 Special/357 Magnum revolvers but prefer the .32’s.
This will sound odd to many folks but I have a 32 H&R rifle and feel no need for 327 rifle. I have good balance between energy and penetration.
Slim
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If the .327 Charter Bulldog is anything near a .30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawk in the noise-department, I would NEVER want to fire one without hearing protectors if I had an alternative like a .44 Special. Even those are loud, but I think once you have to go super-sonic (which usually the smaller bullets must do to achieve decent energy), the noise is just more piercing, to me anyway...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

We have a 24” 32 H&R Magnum TC barrel and use this rifle for called varmints and as a walk around barrel. This is one of the few firearms with which we feel comfortable firing the occasional shot without ear protection.
This is a handy and powerful combination, with iron sigts this TC carbine weighs less than 6 lbs.
Slim
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I agree that the full house loads out of my 327 Blackhawk are obnoxious. I shoot max 32 H&R loads out of the Blackhawk , which is more enjoyableable. With that said I picked up a used 32 cal RCBS mould ($15)that the gas checked bullets weight 122 grs sized and lubed. Which I decided to use for my 327 brass.

So Slim what loads are you using for the heavier bullets in the 327?
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

What kind of report or muzzle blast does does .32 Long and .32 H&R Mag. give compared to, say, .38 Spec.?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Besides, the 44 makes a bigger hole in things. This
may be a slight disadvantage for small game hunting
Not if it's a solid. I've bagged grouse with a .45acp 230FMJ....nice, neat hole and not much damage.

.44 Special is kind of a 44-40.....not may deer and such escaped a well placed 44-40, I'd opine.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Triggernosis wrote:What kind of report or muzzle blast does does .32 Long and .32 H&R Mag. give compared to, say, .38 Spec.?
Been a long time since I fired .38sp without ear protection but I would say standard pressure .32H&R loads are a little quieter than .38sp and my reduced loads (using .32 long info) are less sharp than .22lr.

LK
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never shot the .327 without ear protection, but 4.8 grains of Universal per shot isn't a lot of powder, and doesn't seem to be very loud.
D. Brian Casady