OT - Need ankle gun recommendations

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Need ankle gun recommendations

Post by homefront »

Warmer weather is coming, and with it my usual attire of a t-shirt, jeans and work boots on the job site. My .38 in a pancake won't work with that clothing, nor will an IWB (I tried it, and felt like I had a monkey waving a flag hanging on my hip). I think an ankle holster and a suitably light and flat weapon would be a good solution. I'm considering a Kel-Tek, but am open to input. The new Ruger LCP looks interesting (I heard the rumor that Kel-Tek is making them), but here are non available to handle.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

For years I didn't carry at work for the same reason.
I'v started carrying a small 380 in a IWB holster & wearing a longer T-shirt.
It about disapears anyway & its gotten so I forget its there.
I thought about an ankle rig but couldn't find one I liked & I end up in shorts by April anyway.

I'd like to check out a Walther but havent come across one. Mines a cheapo Accu Tec single action auto very similar in design if not quality to the Walther.
Its on my hip now & has been there since 6:00 am, it'll be there till I go to bed. Its not an elephant gun & alot of folks think its underpowered, but its beter than nothing & small enough to carry all the time.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Need ankle gun recommendations

Post by AJMD429 »

homefront wrote:Warmer weather is coming, and with it my usual attire of a t-shirt, jeans and work boots on the job site. My .38 in a pancake won't work with that clothing, nor will an IWB (I tried it, and felt like I had a monkey waving a flag hanging on my hip).
I used a shoulder holster called the 'silent partner' I believe by Bianchi, which I modified a bit by unstitching and restitching where the holster fastens to the shoulderstrap.

It was so abbreviated and light, and positioned the gun muzzle-up (I modified to a 45 degree rear angle) that you could EASILY wear a regular T-shirt over it and nobody could tell you were carrying (I limited that to T-shirts with some color to them).

The holster fit 2" 38/357 5-shot guns, although the long underlug of the SP101 wouldn't fit but S&W and Colt and Charter Arms did.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The Keltec or Ruger is the answer for an ankle gun. If you've never worn one, you might underestimate the effect of the weight of the gun on your ankle and sometimes you think you have a monkey waving a flag from under the cuff of your jeans.

Ankle guns are hard to get to, more so if you're overweight. I'm now inclined towards a pocket holster and such a gun.

If you can get the .380 and your ammo from Buffalo Bore.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Kahr PM9 or PM40.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I wear an ankle holster to carry my SP101 at work, which is an alternate weapon to the P229 on my hip. An ankle gun gets covered with very fine dust amazingly quickly, and I don't work in a particularly dusty environment. If I carried an auto on the ankle, I would be very sure to clean it religiously and often. I can run a snubby dry, but the lube necessary for autos will grab and hold onto dust and grit. My ankle rig is made by Alessi, which is very comfortable and secure, but bulky.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

How does 12.8 ounces for a full 9mm sound?? I sold my kahr and got one of these just today:
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/product/prod_set.html

It is the same size as a kel-tec .380 but is a full sized 9mm and holds 6 +1. the owner of the company has a clip on u-tube touting the accuracy and capabilities out to 25 yards. Not bad for a little gun. I think I am going to really like mine. Range report and pics to follow.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Yeah, what is this "ankle" business? What the hell's wrong with carrying it in your fromt pants pocket? So much more accesible, don't you think? jd45
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm very happy with my Centennial.......hammerless is a very, very good idea when just slipping into a pocket or whatever without a holster. I pulled a fully cocked AirWeight out of my pocket and have no idea how it got that way......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Thanks for all the replies. Good stuff to think about.

Why on the ankle? I've got too much else in my pockets. Earplugs, job site keys, money clip (usually empty), etc.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A hammerless S&W works for me. I just learned to empty one pocket. I now carry my keys on a clip on my belt, it's easier on the pockets anyway. Mini mag light, on the belt. Pocket knife and loose change go in the off side to help add a little balance. The last gun show I went to I got a pair of custom molded ear plugs. They stay in a plastic pouch that attaches to my belt as well.
MY high alert stance is to stand with my hands in my pockets, only one hand isn't empty and nobody is none the wiser. Seems a lot better than bending down to tie my shoe.

My .02 worth,
Rusty <><

PS. Even though it in your pocket make sure you use a holster
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have small hands but they're thick. I get snake bite from the slide with small autos.

I pack a S&W 649, a stainless five shot 357 w/3" bbl. It's called the bodyguard. It's like a Centennial but it has a hump on the backstrap that covers the hammer. You can still cock it and shoot it single action if preferred. I don't like the super lightweight 38's and 357's, they're too light and buck like a stinking tiger when fired with full power (357) duty loads. The full weight stainless 357 still has a bite but it's tolerable.

I have no ill feelings against autos, I pack a 1911 everyday. I just can't shoot a small one without bleeding within a couple of rounds. No way to get along with your piece. The revolver is pretty hard to get too dirty, be too dirty, shot dirty enough to stop. With a modicum of care they'll run forever and never let you down. When I carry my BUG it's in a Kramer ankle holster or a small pancake on my belt. Just my opinion.
Old Law Dawg
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

i tried everything reasonable during my 30 yrs as LEO.....always went back to airweight J-frame......preferably centinnial model w/o hammer...I also found the Galco holster to be the most comfortable and infinetly adjustable.....i used this as a back-up as well as off duty when wearing long pants and no jacket or vest.....still using it even after 5 years retirement...JMHO
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Guys,
I'm 5'7" tall,144 lbs no way I can get anything in my pocket without " telegraphing " to everyone
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Rusty wrote:A hammerless S&W works for me. I just learned to empty one pocket. I now carry my keys on a clip on my belt, it's easier on the pockets anyway. Mini mag light, on the belt. Pocket knife and loose change go in the off side to help add a little balance. The last gun show I went to I got a pair of custom molded ear plugs. They stay in a plastic pouch that attaches to my belt as well.
MY high alert stance is to stand with my hands in my pockets, only one hand isn't empty and nobody is none the wiser. Seems a lot better than bending down to tie my shoe.

My .02 worth,
Rusty <><

PS. Even though it in your pocket make sure you use a holster
They say everyone has a twin out there. Your MO and mine are mirror images. The old 642 has its very own front right pocket, usually with the hand resting comfortably on it.
During cold weather the 642 is in my right pocket of my Carhart.---Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

SIG 230
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Senior Levergunner

Clean up holster

Post by 2571 »

Worked vice & as a plain clothes cop for many years. I carried a S&W Model 36 on the inside ankle of my left leg. Still my favorite carry.

Prior comment about being difficult to reach is not my experience nor that of anyone I worked with. When you need, it, you'll reach it.

When you are in the bar and she runs her hands on you especially in private places, she's looking for a gun or badge, not just trying to give you a thrill. If she touches your ankles, she been locked up before and your cover is gone.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Cover? Bar? Feel me up?
I guess when I was younger, I'd have given those ideas consideration, and I thank you for pointing them out.
The closest I get to someone touching my gun is the hugs from church members after service. Or my mom.
I handled a very lightweight S&W .38, and was amazed at how light it was. If I could try one on loaded, or any other gun, I guess that's how I'll decide.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

For a long time I carried a Kel tec P32 as my always carry/warm weather pc. Front pocket or back pocket especially in a leather "wallet" worked particularly well. Now don't get me wrong I liked having more gun, but in instances where larger guns are problematic to conceal it was good medicine.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

homefront wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Good stuff to think about.

Why on the ankle? I've got too much else in my pockets. Earplugs, job site keys, money clip (usually empty), etc.
I carry my P3AT in my front pants pocket, but if you can't, what's wrong with a back pocket. I assume you don't carry two wallets.

There are several holsters made with a flat piece of leather facing out that will keep the gun from printing through the pocket. The only disadvantage (and the reason I front pocket carry) is I don't like sitting on it with my bony butt.

I am not a fan of ankle carry.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I can't add much to the above suggestions -- J-frame, P3AT, PM9 or PM40, Rohrbaugh (wish I had the means!) -- all are good. But it does seem to me that the front pocket carry makes the most sense to me (which tends to leave out the J-frame). So, to that end, I'm now investing in "tactical" pants (such as those made by 5.11), or "carpenter" or "cargo" type jeans or Dockers. They have all the pockets one needs for keys, lights, knives, etc. and still provide a front pocket for concealed carry. Just get rid of those tigher Levis, with only two front pockets, and problem solved!

FYI, I bought a PM9 after having a Walther PPK/S (about same size, but lighter and 9mm). At some point, I may also get a P3AT, or the new Ruger LCP, for carry in my summer shorts.
Last edited by alnitak on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A Miniglock or SP101 (or any small frame gun) will hide right nicely under a tucket Tshirt with a proper holster & decent belt.

Here's a pic of a "worst case" telegraph with my daily carry gun(s)

ImageImage

In neither case did I ever try to conceal the guns more than just putting on the holster and tucking around it - just like putting on pants after a stuff.

Now if you REALLY want to go tiny, you could jump to an NAA and do this:

I'm not a real fan of bending over to draw.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

ref comments about drawing from ankle holster....with practice it's not as ackward as it might seem...u don't bend over to draw, if u do u can't watch target very well.....most techniques teach dropping to kneeling position with off knee on ground, while raising pants leg with weak hand. (if right handed then ankle holster should be on inside of left leg)with strong hand draw and in kneeling position u actually should create a smaller target, and one not expected by assailant......This takes practice as does ALL self-defense techniques, but even a tall fat boy like me can get this one right, and do it pretty fast. My experience is that it takes a couple of weeks to get totally comfortable with ankle carry to the point u don't even notice it. Again, results and mileage may vary.....Good luck....
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

rjohns94 wrote:How does 12.8 ounces for a full 9mm sound?? I sold my kahr and got one of these just today:
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/product/prod_set.html

It is the same size as a kel-tec .380 but is a full sized 9mm and holds 6 +1. the owner of the company has a clip on u-tube touting the accuracy and capabilities out to 25 yards. Not bad for a little gun. I think I am going to really like mine. Range report and pics to follow.
Awesome little 9mm, may have to look into it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I love this forum. A fella asks a question and instead of answering the question as asked most responses consider the implications of the choice. That's a good thing indeed.

I've been told that when you try to draw from an ankle holster you are just grabbing your ankles. :lol: There are techniques that are relatively fast but... However, there are times when this carry method can pay off for you as a back-up to others. One needs as light a gun as you can get so that it doesn't shift when moving about, doesn't make you walk funny (a bigger problem than you might think).

I don't carry in an ankle holster any more for some of the reasons others have given. I recently bought a 642 as the very best pocket pistol available. Again, extra weight is a negative as is size and you don't want anything to hang on cloth either on the draw or as moving about. You will need a pocket holster to keep the gun correctly positioned in the pocket and reduce "printing". You just might need to modify your wardrobe to baggier pants, this doesn't work well in tight jeans. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Here's something else to think about regarding front pocket carry. If an armed robber has the drop on you , reaching into your pocket upon his demand for your money or car keys will seem the natural thing to do (as opposed to kneeling and pulling up your pants leg showing him your gun). If necessary you can even fire the gun without taking it out of your pocket, particularly if it is a snubby revolver that is carried without a pocket holster. This requires loose fitting pants and large pockets, but at my advanced (read -"pot bellied") age, I don't wear tight pants any more.

If you can't shoot through your pocket you can shoot from the hip before the BG has time to recognize what is happening. Of course this is for extremely close ranges. We used to practice this about three feet from our silhouette targets during our pistol qualifications.

As someone else mentioned, if you are in a high alert status, placing your hand in your pocket is a non threatening movement. No one will suspect you have your hand on your weapon. If the situation doesn't escalate, nobody is the wiser. If you drop to one knee and pull up your pants leg to get your pistol, all bets are off.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

ji, and there lots of ankle holsters made for it the company sells belt, in pocket and ankle holsters
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Try a Makarov

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

If you can stand the stiff recoil spring a makarov is pretty small and the 9x18 is a lot hotter than a 380. Mine eats anything and hits where it is aimed. Sights suck but if you can see them they work.
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I came into this kinda late. Why is OI sniffing his armpit?

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

pharmseller wrote:I came into this kinda late. Why is OI sniffing his armpit?

Quinn
To show that even in a "worst case" kind of motion, a decent firearm can be concealed even under a clingy pullover type shirt.

That, and it's hrd to take a picture of a 3 o'clock carry any other way... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Ohhh...Okay.
Looks like somebody cleaned up a bleach spill with that purple towel! :lol:

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I've got a S&W 642 that would probably work well for ankle carry, but I carry it IWB.

IMHO the new Ruger .380 would be an excellent lightweight choice for ankle carry.

Rob
NRA
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

pharmseller wrote:Ohhh...Okay.
Looks like somebody cleaned up a bleach spill with that purple towel! :lol:

Quinn
That's why it's in the "shop" half bath...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Thanks for all the replies. :D
We got more mileage than I expected out of this one!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

pharmseller wrote:I came into this kinda late. Why is OI sniffing his armpit?

Quinn
Because he can...
Sincerely,

Hobie