Hair Removal Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Hair Removal Question

Post by jkbrea »

No, not for me, natures taking care of that. :lol:

I had to saw off the antlers off of a bull elk this season. A black bear got to the skull while we packed the meat and tore it up pretty good. I want to use the antlers for a project. I sawed them off as close as possible but there is a bunch of hair around the base that is really hard to remove. Any ideas or experience?
Hobie

Re: Hair Removal Question

Post by Hobie »

I used to hang them high and let the birds pick at them...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

high speed wire wheel on a drill or grinder. danny
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Hobie wrote:I used to hang them high and let the birds pick at them...
Thanks Hobie, I've done that in the past. I guess I'm being impatient. I knew a guy that placed some elk ivories in a fence post for the birds to pick them clean. The ravens took off with them. :lol: Live and learn.
BigSky56 wrote:high speed wire wheel on a drill or grinder. danny
I'll give that a try. I tried to burn it with a propane torch. It worked to a point but wow, it stunk. :shock:
I'm going to put them on a frame on a large mirror. Saw one in a bar in Jackson Wyoming and it looked cool.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Try some borax, and when that works as good as it's gonna, use the wire wheel on a drill. Be careful or you will scuff up the horns. I've got a set to prove it :oops: You can just go for the wheel first, but do it before the skin dried out and turns to leather or it doesn't work as well. I let the borax eat at it for a while.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

If you was here in FL I would tell you to stick them in a fire ant mound for a day or so. They strip them clean