OT-Fishin'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

OT-Fishin'

Post by Mike D. »

My cousins and I went salmon fishing early this morning on the American River, a local stream that is ripe with fresh fish at this time of year. Kind of a slow day, but I did catch one nice 30 lb hen. We slow drifted fresh roe through 3 good holes, along with several other boats. This beast took nearly 30 minutes to get to the net. These fish are extremely strong and use the swift current to their advantage. I had to keep pressure on the fish at all times lest the barbless hook break free. Just about wore my weak butt out. :) Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Fishin'

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice, that really has my mouth watering right now. Almost drooled on the keyboard :D Glad you had a good day on the water
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

You sure your scale is right? That monster only weighs 30 pounds? Looks like it should weight twice that much.

Looks like you had a fun day, that's for sure.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I don't know, Joe. We all had it pegged at 40, but the guide we borrowed the scale from says it don't lie. I filleted it out and the bag of meat is darned heavy. Trimmed all the belly meat, too, along with the cheek steaks. Now, it has to be cut and wrapped. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool, grats Mike. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Them are strong fish. I have fished a few rivers and creeks in Alaska and know what you mean when you talk about them getting in the current.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

awesome fish. congrats.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one Mike :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

You sure did have a good day. Glad that you are able to get out like that.
I found a sack of Spanish mackerel in the freezer that my nephew brought up from Florida a few months ago. My wife fixed the whole mess for supper tonite, good eating.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

That's a beauty Mike! They usually don't look that fresh by the time they make it up my way. I've never caught one legally :oops: but in my mis-spent youth helped a few into the smoker, smoking being the only way I like river-run salmon from around here. Glad to see you are out-and-about and doing well.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's a real dandy, Mike......They're all beat up and dark around here these days.....Got some little silvers coming up river pretty soon, tho. :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Glad you're feeling well enough to go out Mike. I wonder how much of that you'd have to eat to get tired of it?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The salmon are in great shape for being 100 miles from the ocean. At their speed it only takes a couple of days and they are very clean. In another week they would darken considerably, though. The run will continue through November and into December. Last week the flows would be dropped to allow equipment into the bed to rework the spawning gravel that was displaced by this spring's huge flows. After the gates were reopened the water would muddy up for the rest of the day. That project is completed so the river is up and running fast.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good for you, Mike. 30 minutes of fighting a fish like that would wear my butt out.
Old Law Dawg
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Nice fish. A fellow I used to hunt with would bring smoked salmon to deer camp. He'd warm it a bit over the fire, then serve big slabs on slit open and toasted sub rolls with some mayo laced with a hint of hot sauce. OH MY GOD were they good.
Certified gun nut
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Beauty Mike! We were out in the Columbia catching silvers and chinooks in mid Sept., and had a bit of luck. Just got back from annual buck hunt, and we caught some nice redsides in the creek near camp too. Nothing we got was quite as big as that one of your's though!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I just finished cutting up the 10 lb filets into eating sized steaks. Tough to deal with in the kitchen sink. The freezer is packed and there's several lbs to give to friends, neighbors and relatives. :)