OT reloading, what do I have here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

OT reloading, what do I have here?

Post by MikeS. »

Remember I'm still brand new to reloading and learning.

These are a set of .45acp dies I bought off e-bay. They were sold as "carbo" dies. The decapper-sizing dies doesn't say carbo or carbide but the bottom left is a sizing die and it says carbo.

Since 1 of my earlier ?s was about carbide dies and ya'all told me that the de-capping / sizing die was carbide I'm thinking this 1 isn't. But does it make sense I'd have 2 other sizing dies w/o a de-capper?

I reckonize the de-caping die and the bullet seating die, would the other 2 be sizing dies w/o a de-capper?

Forgive my lack of knowledge.

On the other hand while digging in my safe today I found more reloading gear I forgot I had bought 20+ years ago. A uniflow powder measure, a dial caliper, a case trimmer a balance beam scale and a couple priming tools. Nice.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

As best I can tell from your pics, what you have there is a carbide sizer die, an expander decapper die, and a seating die. The extra one appears to be a standard steel sizing die.

Remember ONLY the sizing die has the carbide ring. The other dies in the set do not. And only the sizing die will be marked as carbide, or carbo.

If you buy your dies new in the box the box will say that it is a Carbide Set.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

If its carbide you will see the carbide ring on the bottom.
If the bottom left one does then simply thread the decapper into that die.
You should I think have an expander die too. I'd think it should be a 3 die set, sizer/decapper, expander & a seater die.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

As J Miller said above, you have a standard RBS 3 die set with a second carbide sizer die. The expander goes in the aluminum die body, just as you have it in the second photo. If you need a set of instructions to adjust the dies you can down-load it off the RCBS web site.

Be sure that, when setting up the carbide sizer, that you adjust it no tighter than raising the ram and them screwing the die in until it just touches the shellholder. If you adjust it so tight that you feel definite spring in the press on a full stroke then you stand a good chance of breaking the carbide ring in the die.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Thanks guys. Knew I could count on you.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I learned something. All my pistol die sets are lee & the decapper is in the sizer, the expander is in a seperate die like the RCBS cowboy dies I have.
Never seen an expander/decapper for a pistol et before.
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Heads Up!!
You have an OLD RCBS standard die set PLUS a newer carbide sizer that someone has supplemented the set with.
The old 3 die set is from the '70's or before. One of the reasons I quit them is because they used the same design for the 44's and the 38/357's.
With this design you couldn't load those 2 ctgs unless you had all 4 sets. As you know, the other co's designs allowed spls and mags to be loaded on the same sets (respectively). With the 45ACP it shouldn't make any difference. You'll get used to the difference in design as you set up and use it. Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Pepe, that is exactly what I was thinking was the case.

So with this setup I'll need to lube the case before decapping them?

The resizing will then be a separate step with the carbide die?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

MikeS. wrote:Pepe, that is exactly what I was thinking was the case.

So with this setup I'll need to lube the case before decapping them?

The resizing will then be a separate step with the carbide die?
No Mike you do not need to lube them before decapping them.
ONLY the sizing step needs lube IF you use a standard steel die. Since you have a Carbide sizing die you do not need to lube the cases.

Now, if you want to update your sizing die to decap like the current version does, simply call RCBS and order the decapping stem for the sizing die. You can then pull the decapping pin out of the expander and the set will function like all the rest.

ALL of my RCBS die sets are the older style like yours. I have updated them by calling RCBS and ordering the appropriate parts. They are not expensive at all.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hold the phone folks... I see the expander plug as MIA. The decapping pin goes in the Carbide sizing die and done in step one. Unlike a two die rifle set, the expander is NOT on the decapper. You should have an expander plug for the inside of the case and add a slight bell to seat lead bullets. The seating die will straighten that bell out so the case can properly headspace on the case mouth.

That carbide sizer should be trhreaded to accept the decapping pin; at least all of mine are.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Griff , the guys are right IMHO The old RCBS die sets had expand and decap as the same step. The expander/decaping rod is in the first photo, the center piece. Yes /no ???
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Griff , the guys are right IMHO The old RCBS die sets had expand and decap as the same step. The expander/decaping rod is in the first photo, the center piece. Yes /no ???
Hmmm... I'll stick w/No. 1st, that decapping pin shank appears much too small to properly expand the inside of a .45ACP. Secondly, you cannot size ANDexpand a pistol cartridge in one step, only a bottleneck or taper wall rifle length case. Unless those dies are olderthan my early '70s model, I'll stick to my 1st statement; could be wrong... won't be the 1st time, nor will it possibly be my last.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OLD STYLE RCBS 3 DIE SET:
1: FL sizing die / carbide or steel - usually without decapping pin assembly.

2: Expander decapper die. Decapping pin is attached to the end of the expander, as in Mike's first picture.

3: Seating die

NEWER STYLE RCBS 3 DIE SET:

1: FL sizing die / carbide or steel with removable decapping pin.

2: Expander die, no decapping pin

3: Seating die.

Mikes dies are the old style with an extra sizing die. And the expander, decapper is clearly marked 45 ACP in the second picture.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ok, maybe I've been using a progressive for pistol cartridges TOO long!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!