OT Ford axle id help, please.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

OT Ford axle id help, please.

Post by Gobblerforge »

I need to replace the drive shaft seal and the diff cover on my van but I'm lost as to what I have. If any of you mechanical types can help, I would really appreciate it.
1998 E250
V6 4.2, automatic transmission
Vin 1FTPE242XWHA69117
Axle code on vin sticker, 24
no code plate on diff cover
10 bolts on cover

Thanks a bunch.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Ford axle id help, please.

Post by kimwcook »

I take it your differential tag is missing. It's a small metal tag that uses one of the differential cover screws to mount to the cover. I'm not a ford expert, but if you can't find your tag there should be a stamped number on one of the axle tubes. And just a heads up. If the pinion seal is leaking there's a chance the bearings might have excessive play or need replacing. Make sure you take a look because if the bearings are shot the seal isn't going to last any amount of time. Plus make sure you put the right amount of preload back on the pinion when going back together.
Old Law Dawg
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Yes the tag is missing and I tried wire brushing to find the numbers and have not yet been successful. I understand the preload. My neighbor explained that one to me.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Since you have the VIN handy, you might try looking online for a website that translates VINs (that's what I did for my Colorado just for giggles) or a Ford specific forum and see if they might be able to help.

There's got to be a way to do it by the VIN or axle code. Maybe a dealership parts counter can help?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I can find out tommorow when I go to work. I work at Ford and have access to that type of info.
If no one here can answer you.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

101. Yes in that I tried several times to get info online before I came here. I got some info but I also got conflicting info. Probably because I' don't know exactly what I am looking for or at.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Gobblerforge: Search for: Charlie Thrash Differential and Axle in San Antone. This guy is a first rate fellow and a whiz with diffs and drive shafts, he is an old race car guy that knows his stuff. His phone number is on the website.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I would guess an 8.8 inch. This link has a picture of cover gasket
http://www.google.com/search?q=8.8+ford ... 40&bih=649
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

The other options would be a Dana 60 or a Ford 9.75 inch. A dana 60 also has a 10 bolt cover but a very different shape than the 8.8.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-a ... mlprox=out

A ford 9.75 has 12 bolts
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

jjames wrote:The other options would be a Dana 60 or a Ford 9.75 inch. A dana 60 also has a 10 bolt cover but a very different shape than the 8.8.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-a ... mlprox=out

A ford 9.75 has 12 bolts
My cover does in fact look like this one. In my reading it seams that the Dana 44 and the Dana 60 both look like this one but are two sizes. Now my next step is to measure what I have and I'll be good I think. Thoughts?
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

You shouldn't have a Dana 44 in that vehicle. They are decidedly different in size so a quick measurement should do it. Be cautious of not over or undertightening the pinion nut when you change the pinion seal. Being a Dana you shouldn't have too much trouble in terms of overtightening as the bearing preload is set with hard shims versus other style differentials that use a crush sleeve. I typically use locktite on the the threads and generally stake the Nut/Threads with a center punch. If your pinoin nut gets loose you can destroy the ring and pinion gears. If it is too tight you can ruin the pinion bearnings.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Well now, it looks like I have a Dana 60 after all. 10 bolts and the pattern looks right. Would this have the 9.75" or 8.8" gears? The axle code is 24 and so far my Internet search has deduced that my ratio might be 3.73 but more likely 3.55. I would like to know for towing purposes. Man this stuff is a struggle to shake out.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

3/4 ton says it is a Dana 60....heel & toe set by "crush" ring when you replace the front seal, put a new crush ring in and torque the yoke nut to proper spec. Of all the "spicer" style rear ends, the Dana 60 is probably the best. It has been in Ford and Dodge 3/4 ton trucks since the 60's. Still like the old 9" Hotchkiss style Ford better though...they still use 'em in Nascar today, tough design.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Put yourself a bright crayon mark at six o'clock on the driveshaft and a tire. Roll the vehicle one revolution of the tire and then look where the mark is on the driveshaft. If it's just past twelve o'clock you've got 3.55, three o'clock is 3.73, just past six o'clock is 4.11......
Last edited by Tycer on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Tycer wrote:Put yourself a bright crayon mark at six o'clock on the driveshaft and a tire. Roll the vehicle one revolution of the tire and then look where the mark is on the driveshaft. If it's just past twelve o'clock you've got 3:55, three o'clock is 3:73, just past six o'clock is 4:11......
Now that makes a lot of sence to me. Thanks.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom