OT- Old "Gunfighter" tintype, nice one. Sold for $1136.45

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Old "Gunfighter" tintype, nice one. Sold for $1136.45

Post by rangerider7 »

This one is on Ebay too. It will go for a nice price also.
A little short to bid this month. :D
Last edited by rangerider7 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT- Old "Gunfighter" tintype, nice one.

Post by AJMD429 »

My gut feeling it that he's the 'real deal' - not looking all spiffed-up, tie tucked-in, kind of wild-eyed.

Cool picture, anyway...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Look at the eyes, theat ole boy has rode a river or two I'll bet. And unless I miss my quess he is really left handed, belt is buckled like a right hander and the holster is slid around on the left
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Looks a little like Hobie to me :)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Everyone has or has had a look-alike at sometime… :wink:

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

casastahle wrote:Everyone has or has had a look-alike at sometime… :wink:

Seen that also. Guy wants 1mill for the "Cage" Vampire pic. haha.

On the pic in the original post.....great picture. I always look for those tin types also and anytime a cowboy has a gun in the picture....it always seems to go way up there in price.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The ears of the elder "Mr. Cage" are not quite the same as his younger counterpart.

There is also a greater separation between the brow and the eyelid.

The younger Mr. Cage has a more pronounced chin.

I suppose it's possible that the un-dead can benefit from a limited plastic surgery...

:wink: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:My gut feeling it that he's the 'real deal' - not looking all spiffed-up, tie tucked-in, kind of wild-eyed.
Cool picture, anyway...
Some of that "wild-eyed" look is the natural tendency to watch the smoke from the flash, even with the flash powder, exposure times were longish enough that the eye movement is caught.. that "extra" whitish look would, in a color photo, be "red-eye"! :o
Dave James wrote:Look at the eyes, theat ole boy has rode a river or two I'll bet. And unless I miss my quess he is really left handed, belt is buckled like a right hander and the holster is slid around on the left
Not unless he'd be okay with wearing a women's vest. :twisted: The photo's reversed, the belt is backwards for a right hander. The tongue of the belt would be on his left, with it's stitchin' on his right, along with whatever that part of the buckle that goes thru the holes in the tongue. Unless again, he's okay with dressin' like a girl! :P Hard to see for certain, but the placket of his pants fly looks wrong-sided also... all 3 tell me, like most tintypes that were printed on emulsified iron plates the image comes out reversed, it was relatively inexpensive when compared to a daguerrotype, which used a copper plate as a backing instead of an iron plate.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Old "Gunfighter" tintype, nice one. Sold for $1136.45

Post by rangerider7 »

WOW! The other one was a large tintype about 8 by 10. This one is CDV size, very small. I need to find some of these. :shock:
"That'll Be The Day"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Here we go, I flipped it.
gunman1_flipped.JPG
Griff is right I think, he's right handed. I do think though that he is a real working man. Look at his hands. Those are not the soft smooth hands of a banker or a lawyer or shop keeper. Those are working hands.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If the image was reversed it was not a tintype as that method produced a direct positive print in the camera. It was most likely as wet glass plate negative. If you print a glass plate negative wrong side up, the image is reversed. 8 X 10 was pretty much standard for a studio glass plate negative at this time. The prints were made by contact. When enlargers can into general use, a smaller negative usually 4 X 5 could be used and the negative could be enlarged and printed as per the customer's desire.
Last edited by Charles on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

$1,136.45? What recession?
ChuteTheMall
Levergunner

Post by ChuteTheMall »

There's a guy with a tent set up at the Mason Dixon Stampede who will make those tintypes for about $50.