Galazan Pre-'64 Model 94 Screw Set

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Galazan Pre-'64 Model 94 Screw Set

Post by Swampman »

Do you think these sets are worth the money? Do the screws fit and work well?
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Galazan Pre-'64 Model 94 Screw Set

Post by Griff »

Never heard of them. Link? Pics? I'll order a set and let you know, I need a set.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I just need the2 screws for the forend cap. wheres the link ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I tried a set for a Winchester 92. Some worked and some didn't.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Griff wrote: I'll order a set and let you know,
a review would be nice. :wink:
i also need one, or may be just the hammer screw.
inquiring minds, and all. :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

pokey wrote:
Griff wrote: I'll order a set and let you know,
a review would be nice. :wink:
i also need one, or may be just the hammer screw.
inquiring minds, and all. :D
The hammer screw is the same from the 1st to the last ones produced in New Haven. The post '64 thru about 5 million have a screw for the link, instead of a pin, same screw as the hammer.

But, yes if the set includes the guide screws, I'll be ordering it tonite.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Griff wrote: The hammer screw is the same from the 1st to the last ones produced in New Haven.
i have a 40's '94 that has a hammer screw in place that the head is smaller than
the countersink it fits in. leaves a space all around. looking at pre 64 compared
to post 64 it looks like the screw head size changed. could be i'm all wet though.
i'll have to measure again. :?:

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

pokey wrote:
Griff wrote:The hammer screw is the same from the 1st to the last ones produced in New Haven.
i have a 40's '94 that has a hammer screw in place that the head is smaller than
the countersink it fits in. leaves a space all around. looking at pre 64 compared
to post 64 it looks like the screw head size changed. could be i'm all wet though.
i'll have to measure again. :?:
Surely not! Maybe I'd better check on mine also! The only pre-64 that I've fiddled with changing anything is actually a '64. But the screws will interchange, threads remained the same, etc... I'll have to check a couple of my older ones when I get home. Maybe that statement was a bit TOO inclusive!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The pre-64 hammer screw definitely has a larger screw head than the post-64.
Go here:
http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org ... sters.html
For a pictorial comparison.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

J Miller wrote:The pre-64 hammer screw definitely has a larger screw head than the post-64.
Go here:
http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org ... sters.html
For a pictorial comparison.

Joe

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, the screw kit arrived while I was out runnin' around. Got it out tonite and tried it in my new, unused 1964 receiver. This receiver has never been assembled, so it was also a trial fit of some parts that I've had laying around.

1st off... the kit is definitely worth the money. I had a few pre-64 screws and removing those, allowed me to try the new ones. These included the link pin screw, link/lever screw, hammer screw, both carrier screws, tang screw, carrier spring screw and lever/bolt pin stop screw. All fit perfectly. I do not have either guide rail for this receiver, but the screws would screw into the holes with no resistance. Included were both barrel band screws, magazine plug screw, a front tang sight plug screw and mainspring and strain screws. The only screws not included are the two for the receiver sight on this late pre-64 receiver.

I do not have a spring cover (loading gate) that I know was from a pre-64, and the one I tried from a post-64 uses a different thread pitch, and the spring is slightly too short for this receiver. (I don't know if that is why this receiver was never assembled, but... I'm now suspicious. Anyone have a spring cover from what they KNOW is a pre-64?

In closing, I'll say that if you need a pre-64 screw set; this is definitely the one you should get.
(right side)
(left side)
(bottom with link - that's not rust, just tape residue)
(link open)

Okay, so not the fastest review, but since I needed the screws anyway, no problem.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I'm going to order a set and age them a little before installing them in my 1950 vintage Model '94. Thanks for your review.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Swampman wrote:I'm going to order a set and age them a little before installing them in my 1950 vintage Model '94. Thanks for your review.
You might not need to age this set. The finish was just a tad off from the receiver. I mean, there's no wear whatsoever on this receiver, and is as bright and clear as when it was first made. The screw set has a slightly "flat" finish. On my 1950 which does have some, (I consider it minimal) wear, replacing one of the carrier screws with one from the set, it doesn't really look out of place.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

The receiver in the pic you posted is definitely a pre-64. Note the position of the loading gate screw. It's to the rear of the carrier screw. The post-64s are directly above the carrier screw. They shortened the loading gate spring part after 64.

The only pre-64 loading gate I have is snugly assembled in my carbine where it will remain.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Griff,
The receiver in the pic you posted is definitely a pre-64. Note the position of the loading gate screw. It's to the rear of the carrier screw. The post-64s are directly above the carrier screw. They shortened the loading gate spring part after 64.
The only pre-64 loading gate I have is snugly assembled in my carbine where it will remain.
Joe
:D I should hope so. I might even have one... I just didn't feel like rootin' around in my parts bags and test fit all the ones I have. I just happened to have a gold one sittin' out on the shelf on the safe and just grabbed it. Soon as my "wood guy" finds my forends, I'll be getting final fitting done and some metal re-finishing on these and get them behind me.

Gonna have to buy another safe... I'm extremely cramped for space, and with 7 more projects assembled, they WON'T fit any longer!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!