I've got a hankering for something that doesn't exist (yet).

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

I've got a hankering for something that doesn't exist (yet).

Post by mergus »

Guys, recently I've developed a hankering for a new model Marlin 1894 in 38-40, preferably in blue with a walnut stock. Since they don't make that model in that caliber, I was wondering about finding one used in .357 and having it bored out? Is this feasable? Would I need anything else on the inside changed to make it work. I know there have been a couple of threads lately about who to go to for reboring a barrell, so I know who to see if its do-able.

Have any of you guys ever rechambered a Marlin 1894 to 38-40? How did it work out?

Thanks,
Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: I've got a hankering for something that doesn't exist (yet).

Post by Griff »

Since the .38WCF (.38-40) is actually a .401, it'd have to be re-bored and the bolt replaced with one for a .44Mag/.45Colt or preferably a .44WCF. Buying a .44-40 and having it re-barreled would be easier.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Griff wrote:... Buying a .44-40 and having it re-barreled would be easier.
Buying a 44-40 and shooting 180 to 200 gr bullets would be a lot cheaper. :wink:

Could a mag tube that is large enough for the larger head size be fitted without too much trouble and expense?

Jack
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Might be best to go with the .44 Mag or .44-40 vs. a .357, as I think the overall case-diameter and size is closer.

I almost bought a .44 Mag 1894-SS just to 'make' a 1894-CSS when they weren't available, and even planned on making it a tube-loader, but while considering a .357/44 B&D conversion, I found a run of CSS's had been made and snapped one up.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

It's gonna have a few small issues. The rim diameter is .525, which is a little bigger than .45 Colt, and already .45 Colt marlins have VERY little metal for the cartridge guides on the front of the bolt. Soooo, ya start with a .45 Colt and re-barrel or line it, and fine tune the bolt face a little. Ya need a large diamater mag tube and the receiver that can handle same, so no sense messing with a .38 rifle.....
Certified gun nut
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

Guys, thanks for the feedback. I figured there was more to it than just a rebore, I just didn't know what that something might be. A 44-40 as is, or perhaps as a starter sounds like the way to go.

Mergus
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

You can find quite a few Marlin 1889's in 38-40.
I have one and love it.
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

Hi Rusty. Thanks for posting about the model 1889. As I had never heard of it, I googled it and like you said, there are a few examples around and for sale. In looking at the years they were made, can you tell me if they are intended for black powder only, or can modern level ammo be fired through them?

When I finally do aquire something in 38-40, I intend to reload for it. Currently I do most of my dash caliber reloading with Trail Boss powder and am wondering if published loads of Trail Boss powder would be safe in a gun from that era?

Thanks again for clueing me in on its existance....

Mergus
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

1894/94's in .38-40 are also not that uncommon in older guns. I've got a couple in .38-40, and see them fairly often on the auction sites.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mergus wrote:Thanks for posting about the model 1889. As I had never heard of it, I googled it and like you said, there are a few examples around and for sale. In looking at the years they were made, can you tell me if they are intended for black powder only, or can modern level ammo be fired through them?
Yeah, I've always wondered that myself...

I know they were made during the 'transition' era, but does the year of manufacture tell a person if it was a 'black-powder-only' model? Besides, I thought NO 'high-pressure' loads were advised in the older (pre-????) guns, so is there really a difference between a 'cowboy' level smokeless powder load and the black powder ones of the era?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "