Tricks for quiet loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Tricks for quiet loads?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have hearing loss as many report. I'm planning two loads for each rifle. The mid range load will be plainbase cast bullets around 1500 fps max. I also have a mix of carbines and rifles.

Are there any tricks and powders that offer quieter loads in mid range loadings?

My 32-20 factory loads are 100 gr lead with 1300 fps roughly. I wear plugs but they are downright civilized compared to full load 444. Even though they are not subsonic they sure don't crack like full load 303.

I suspect the difference in loudness is more a function of lighter loadings but thought I'd ask. Also my levers are slow twist so I think subsonic in standard weight bullets would not be too accurate, advice?
Hobie

Re: Tricks for quiet loads?

Post by Hobie »

In my experience loads that produce normal velocities will produce normal noise for any cartridge. For the "cat sneeze" load a usually effective strategy is to use fast powder under heavy bullets with longer barrels being quieter. Use less powder will produce less gas and thus lower the noise in any cartridge. The "trick" is to create a usable load whatever way you look at it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

What Hobie said.....

At 1500 fps, you're already well past the sound barrier too, so that's pretty much out.
Paco wrote a good article on this and there is a series of three articles by another fella starting here:
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html

"Usefulness" of such loads is sort of limited to certain animal control applications and some low key practice.
"Practice" includes just having fun shooting without raising such a ruckus - when that's what's needed.
I have a load for my 16" .357 carbine that sends a 158 grain LEE TL down range at about 450 fps - but it is still DEADLY and not a toy, though not something I would take deer hunting. While my 16" barrel is a bit short for the quieting affect, it's still about like firing a CB in a 16" .22 LR.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I figured as much as you guys state.

I bought 3 molds this week and will be casting for plinking soon. Interesting world we live in. 3 molds, one from the US, another from Australia, and a third from Europe!

115 gr 32-20, 174 gr 303, 270 gr 444, and a 165 gr 32 Special. All middle weight for caliber so I'll try some subsonics to see how they do.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Canuck Bob wrote:I figured as much as you guys state.

I bought 3 molds this week and will be casting for plinking soon. Interesting world we live in. 3 molds, one from the US, another from Australia, and a third from Europe!

115 gr 32-20, 174 gr 303, 270 gr 444, and a 165 gr 32 Special. All middle weight for caliber so I'll try some subsonics to see how they do.
Loading up for the 303 Savage???

Mainehunter :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some of the 'Schuetzen' folks are loading 180 to 220 grain bullets in .32-20's at around 900 fps, and THOSE would be quiet, but deadly, and should be accurate (very high ballistic coefficients for 180 grain .308" bullets they're using in modern single-shot .32-20's that have the .308" bores like the Contenders & Encores or re-barreled guns, and still high sectional-density, if not high ballistic coefficients, in the .312" bore older guns).

I just need to find their LOAD DATA...!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Keep em well under 1000 fps and use a fast powder. LIGHTER will be quieter, but may lack the KD power you may desire.
Certified gun nut
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sorry 303 Brit. up here 303 is like saying 30-30 we all think the Brit.

I will try some subsonic and maybe the heavy versions. My 32-20 is going to be my plinking woods loafer and I suspect nice accurate mid loads will be its mission. I'm considering more experimentation with my Lee Enfield so maybe some heavies at a 900 fps would work.

I don't need knock down with these loads so the heavies aren't really an issue until later. I shoot on Crown land in griz country sometimes. I carry a pocketful of plinking rounds and single load with some thumpers in the mag waiting for trouble. If trouble looms at the worst I'm one shot away from full power. In perspective I work and hunt in this country and only saw grizzlies a few times. Twice on morning after carcass'. That was interesting.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Don't forget the round balls. They are also very light on the lead consumption.

Cat
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Catshooter wrote:Don't forget the round balls. They are also very light on the lead consumption.

Cat
I shoot a muzzleloader and this sounds like fun! I got some Trail Boss and a few balls would make a dandy experiment.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Paco writes about using round ball in his .348, both really slow and really fast. For fast he pushes the ball deeper into the neck and then about a quarter inch of bullet lube on top.

Cat
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

I have used quiet loads for years. I prefer unique powder. 3-5 grains will get you plenty quiet. For light loads I like 10grs. Little to no recoil and deadly. I don't have my notes, but you get the gist.