OT: Need a top punch for Big Lube bullets ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Need a top punch for Big Lube bullets ...

Post by J Miller »

I got some as cast unlubed Big Lube bullets and when I ran them through my Lube-A-Matic I couldn't find a top punch that did not mar the bullets.

What top punch do I need for an RCBS Lube-A-Matic that matches the contour of the Big Lube bullet?

Next question: Some time back I ran across a bullet maker who sold flat top punches for use with any bullet with a flat nose. He had two basic sizes. I've lost that link. Anybody know who I'm talking about?

TIA

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: OT: Need a top punch for Big Lube bullets ...

Post by Shasta »

Don't know if it will help, but perhaps you could get some ideas here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116445

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

knead type epoxy.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Accurate Molds sells them: http://accuratemolds.com/order.php
I make my own out of drill rod on a small lathe but I have heard of others who use aluminium rod and a drill press and file.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

There's no specific punch for the Big Lube bullets.(Dick's a friend of mine, and he never had em made).

If yer really having a problem with a slight marring, I'd suggest the epoxy method. I never worried about it for general use, but have done the epoxy insert method for long range bullets for the .50-70. I sprayed the die body with cooking spray to prevent sticking, and molded a tip for the top punch out of acraglass, but any heavy epoxy would work, even the gas thank repair putty. Carefully clean and dry the end of the seating punch, then apply just a little dab of the epoxy on the end of the punch, wrap the perimeter of the punch end, overlapping the end a bit, with two turns of scotch tape to keep the epoxy dab from spreading bigger in diameter than the punch, and GENTLY run the punch down on top a dummy round with that bullet in it (use a fired case and slip fit the bullet in to prevent marring, and coat the bullet with light oil like cooking spray). Feel for the epoxy to seat on top the bullet and let stand until partially set. Back the punch out before it is fully cured to make sure it hasn't got too fat for the threaded part of the die, then once yer sure that's ok, run it back in and let it rest on top the bullet until fully cured. Now ya got a custom punch.

Oh heck, I misread the post. The above is for a seating die. The same basic idea would work for a top punch though, only easier......
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

perry owens wrote:Accurate Molds sells them: http://accuratemolds.com/order.php
I make my own out of drill rod on a small lathe but I have heard of others who use aluminium rod and a drill press and file.
Perry Owens
Perry,
That is the link I needed for the top punches. I'll order a set today.
Thanks a bunch.

A-Jack,
I'll probably run into the same problem with the seating stem, haven't seated any of them yet. I've had custom seating stems turned out in the past so I suppose I can get another one made.

The easiest way though would be to make a flat face seating punch. That I can do with my drill press and a file.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Joe,

CastBoolits has a member 'Buckshot' who will make you blank top punches that you then use the epoxy method on.

Some bullets work with a flat-faced punch and some don't. I've not been able to tell until I tried them.

Cat
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Catshooter wrote:Joe,

CastBoolits has a member 'Buckshot' who will make you blank top punches that you then use the epoxy method on.

Some bullets work with a flat-faced punch and some don't. I've not been able to tell until I tried them.

Cat
Cat,
Thanks for the info.

I've ordered a set of the flat faced punches from Accurate Molds and when they get here I'll give them a try. If they don't work well I'll check out Buckshot.

Joe
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

About any seating punch can be used with the epoxy method. A "wrong" cup shape works well IF you get it dead dry and scratch up the cup some so it grips the epoxy.
Certified gun nut
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Joe...mie amigo...take a #454 Lyman top punch, put it in a drill & put a file to it. If'n you're careful & keep it square it will put the squash on any flat nosed bullet through the sizer. Save money bro, it's hard to come by these days. Mine does ALL of my boolits, so's I don't need to change it out. Have to be carefull & make sure they are in line with the punch.

Sure it's a little slower, but I really adore reloading & relish the time spent.

Just sayin'...

LB
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

This is another instance where JB Weld is your friend! :P :P :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!