OT: Spammers are getting creative

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Spammers are getting creative

Post by J Miller »

I got the strangest email this morning, see below:
UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET

POLICE AGENCY

NEW YORK STATE POLICE>

Local Police Code

THE PERSON DESCRIBED ABOVE IS CHARGED AS FOLLOWS

Time

7:25 AM
Date of Offense

07/05/2011
IN VIOLATION OF

NYS V AND T LAW

Description of Violation

SPEED OVER 55 ZONE

TO PLEAD, PRINT OUT THE ENCLOSED TICKET AND SEND IT TO TOWN COURT, CHATAM HALL., PO BOX 117
With it was a 13.0kb zip file that my Microsoft security program nailed right off. Strange the AVG didn't.

The spam / scammers are sure getting creative.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Spammers are getting creative

Post by harry »

J Miller wrote:I got the strangest email this morning, see below:
UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET

POLICE AGENCY

NEW YORK STATE POLICE>

Local Police Code

THE PERSON DESCRIBED ABOVE IS CHARGED AS FOLLOWS

Time

7:25 AM
Date of Offense

07/05/2011
IN VIOLATION OF

NYS V AND T LAW

Description of Violation

SPEED OVER 55 ZONE

TO PLEAD, PRINT OUT THE ENCLOSED TICKET AND SEND IT TO TOWN COURT, CHATAM HALL., PO BOX 117
With it was a 13.0kb zip file that my Microsoft security program nailed right off. Strange the AVG didn't.

The spam / scammers are sure getting creative.

Joe
Were you in NY on 7/5?
Then why would you open an email from NYSP
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nope, but I do know for a fact the photo radar can make mistakes. So I wanted to see what it was.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cfplinker
Levergunner

Post by cfplinker »

I guess I need some education as to how a police agency would link your e-mail address to either your car registration, car license plate, or your drivers license. I just renewed my drivers license and didn't have to give an e-mail address. We have to send in the renewal form with a check to get our plates and there is no place for an e-mail address on that form and they don't take credit cards. So getting an e-mail from someone who shouldn't have my e-mail address to start with raises flags for me as it just did for you. I would have called the State Police first to see if they do this. They may be interested to know that this type of spam is being sent out.
Shoot safely, shoot well, and shoot often.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cfplinker,

I have no idea of how they would do it. I suspect it is a scam. I just thought it was different enough to post for everyone's entertainment.

I haven't done it yet, but I was thinking of going via the internet to the NYS Police and forwarding them that email. I doubt they'd appreciate it much at all.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Just Googled the NYS Police to report this to them. Well what do you know. Just half way down the page is and article confirming it's a scam and it does carry a virus. Ta Daaaaaa!

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP3585931 ... 7923a.html

Joe
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I suspect it is a scam. I

YA THINK?!?!?

Sorry, not cracking on you personally, but even if you lived in NY how would you think it would not be a scam?

I've said this before on this forum. If you get a link in an email or an attachment, do *not* click on it. Even if it's from someone you know and they say it's cute kittens (or guide guns or whatever) do not click.

I'm sorry, but that's the only way to be sure.

And if you get an email from the IRS, the FBI, the State Police, or the Honorable Reverend Paulus Savimbi, think about it. Why would the be contacting you? Do. Not. Open. The only click you make is the Delete.

Ok, sorry, feeling better now. Rant over.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well I'm glad you're feeling better. And I apologize for posting this on Leverguns. I really did not mean to get you all upset and cause you to feel the need to vent and rant on my account.

Please forgive me.

Joe
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Joe, thanks for posting. It will help me to warn PillHer. She is rather fearless about opening email.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

piller wrote:Joe, thanks for posting. It will help me to warn PillHer. She is rather fearless about opening email.
piller, you're welcome. This is just one time my curiosity got the best of me. Normally I'm the one telling my wife to his the delete button, not the open button. It darn near bit me in the rear end too.
I learned.

Joe
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Please don't think I kicked a fresh cow patty in your direction, but computer security is something I deal with on a regular basis.

Some folks who otherwise would have no problem buying a car, keeping their home locked or staying out of the "bad part" of town make terrible mistakes on interactions with the computer.

If an email sender doesn't make sense, do not open it.
obvious question marks would be the IRS, FBI, some prince from Nigeria
any bank, mortgage company, financial institution you do not deal with

If there is an attachment inside an email, do not open it.
cute kittens, power point presentations, embedded videos

If there is a link in an email, do not click on it.

If you do get an email say from your bank, or Facebook account or whatever, CLOSE the email and open the link manually.

Right now:
There's someone standing outside your window with glasses watching your computer screen trying to see the information you're typing into it.
There is somebody hiding behind the bushes near your mailbox waiting to send a letter out in your name trying to scam someone else.
There's someone ready to sneak in your home and run programs on your computer without your knowledge.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You mean I ..... can't ...... trust 'lil fuzzy baby kitties????? I'm crushed :cry:
catonlaptop.jpg
As for the last of it, aren't you being just a weeee bit paranoid? Just a tinsy itty bitty bit maybe?

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe, thanks for posting this. I will let my wife know, but more importantly, my mother. I really worry about older people with all of these scams. It seems like they would be more apt to get suckered by these "official looking" things. I get one such scam from someone pretending to be "Bank of America". The e-mail has their logo all over it - looks very official. But I don't have a BoA account, and a quick call to them confirmed it was a fraud. I can see an elderly person falling for it though and giving out very personal information to these crooks.

As I have said before - hang these hackers/spammers!!! :evil:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

YK, don't hang them. Feed them to the fire ants.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost