MLV - "Don't try this at home" -

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

MLV - "Don't try this at home" -

Post by w30wcf »

I'm glad he's ok.....
From the Shiloh Forum....
I highly recommend not trying this. It hurts! Today I had to drive my old (one owner) '76 Dodge pickup into town to mail off articles. On the way home there's a 90 degree turn onto our frontage road. I had to slow to 2nd gear to make the turn. That was a good thing because midway into the turn the driver's door flew open and I fell out.

When I came to people were running up and someone had called 911 and an ambulance. My truck keep going through the Interstate 90 fence, across the exit ramp and into a ditch. Luckily it missed other vehicles over there.

The EMTs checked me out and couldn't find anything but scrapes and bruises and a slightly bleeding lump atop my head. I was just going to go home but then my loving wife pulled up and insisted I go to the ER. They could only find scrapes and bruises too.

So all's well that ends well aside from some stiffening up tonight but I'm home at Chateau Ex-cre-mon surrounded by cats and dogs and being babied by my wife.

There was a brand inspector, a retired highway patrolman stopped on the exit ramp checking out a guy's horses. He said the first thing he knew something was wrong was when a driverless pickup crossed the ramp in front of them and went on into the barrow pit. Then he looked over and saw me laying on the frontage road. He called 911 and an amublance and made me lay still till it came.

As some of you may recall "Shrapnel" as MLV calls him, blew up a couple of antiques ('76 WInchester and a Colt) which Mike reported in the Wolfe publications.

"Sharpnel" had this to say...
Ha...take some of your own medicine there MLV. I remember you telling me that I could have fame or justice, but not both...

It is your turn for justice, as you have made me appear as someone who's only lot in life is to blow up guns, now you send an unmanned Dodge careening off a fence and into a barrow pit, nearly missing a Livestock inspector and an innocent civilian. It doesn't stop there, because your editor called me up wanting to know if there was more damage inflicted on you than you admit, due to the missed deadline and the wrong article.

There may be an article in an upcoming "Rifle" or "Handloader" magazine written by Shrapnel about the questionable exploits of MLV
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Hobie

Re: MLV - "Don't try this at home" -

Post by Hobie »

I'm glad MLV is ok but....

:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I'm glad all concerned are OK but who is MLV? :?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That would be Mike Venturino. :lol:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

He should of had his SEAT BELT on!His books on Leverguns, Colt SAAs, and Sharps are all excellent.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Aren't they supposed to wear seat belts in Montana? Oops, didn't see klhill's post.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Regarding the use of a seatbelt, MLV said "I figured "3 miles from home, what's the use?" Duh!"

Now, I think he will ALWAYS use one in the future................

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I miss my '76 Dodge 440 Camper Special
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

C. Cash wrote:That would be Mike Venturino. :lol:
Oh, I knew that... :oops:

DOH!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

On the bright side; now he might write about something other than his machine gun collection...
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

damienph wrote:On the bright side; now he might write about something other than his machine gun collection...
Or his new love affair with milsurps. But that's OK - he writes about whatever gun pursuit he's off into at the time and we can either read him or not. After his "butt gun" photo and this escapade I'm with Shrapnel - there's more than one knucklehead in the world and them that live in glass houses... :roll:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

No seat belt? Sorry, no sympathy here. Funny, but in his books he's cautious to the point of being timid. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Glad he is ok. How does that happen? :?:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

How does it happen? Not paying attention, door not secure, seat belt not secure, not holding on to the steering wheel with both hands (I drove a Truck Utility ¼T (aka "Jeep") for many years). Like a sailor, it is one hand for the ship and one for yourself. I'm glad he wasn't hurt (and that his new dog wasn't either!). I admire him for having the honesty and courage to admit he did it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I read that recently. Maybe it was on the Shiloh Forum. As stated, glad he wasn't hurt worse. And he did put it all out there by telling everyone about it.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The SEAT BELT thing is a given, but ESPECIALLY if you're backing up a car or truck, as you may be turned around to check some clearance, and leaning on the door. If you fell out then, you'd likely get run over by your front left tire, as your hand would torque the steering wheel clockwise as you tried to not fall out. (Don't ask me how I know this, but I didn't fall out all the way... :wink: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Anytime you leave your driveway and motor on a public road you are at risk. I will bet Mike will use his seat belts at all times now. I had a door on an old Dodge PU come open going around a turn, but I had the seat belt on. If not I would have joined Mike on the hard top.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Glad your OK cant wait to read your next article on it and cast bullets :)
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I usually enjoy his articles in Rifle and Handloader ... the most recent I believe was the one about RN/FP bullet designs.

However, I am having a hard time getting past the fact that he was driving to a post office to mail in some articles. How positively Victorian Era of him. I wonder if he hand wrote them or if they were done on a typewriter. How does any magazine published today not operate electronically for the text and photographs used in their articles? I always figured they would write in Word or Acrobat, drop the JPEGs into place, and attach the resultant file to an email sent to the editor. I would never have guessed that a postage stamp would have to be employed for this in 2011.

I guess I will appreciate his articles all the more now that I know the effort required to get them out the door.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I usually enjoy his articles in Rifle and Handloader ... the most recent I believe was the one about RN/FP bullet designs.

However, I am having a hard time getting past the fact that he was driving to a post office to mail in some articles. How positively Victorian Era of him. I wonder if he hand wrote them or if they were done on a typewriter. How does any magazine published today not operate electronically for the text and photographs used in their articles? I always figured they would write in Word or Acrobat, drop the JPEGs into place, and attach the resultant file to an email sent to the editor. I would never have guessed that a postage stamp would have to be employed for this in 2011.

I guess I will appreciate his articles all the more now that I know the effort required to get them out the door.
And your pont is? In a dead thing, how far can you flip a dead jellyfish? Todd am in a really sarcastic mood today :P :)
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, I guess a lesson has be learned. But heck, I learned that one when I was five or six and went sideways out of a '48 Dodge. Some folks just take longer to learn some things. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

We all screw up. Just glad no one was hurt. The guy has some great articles, I always look for his.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

OK I read it over and over but........................He fell out how ????????????????????????
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I just read an article by Mike about why he doesn't take his guns apart.
Next one may why he now wears a seatbelt! :lol:

At least the fella has the nerve to tell one on himself.